Tar Heel Mom 11.4 mi
    Pete.Hu 9.3 mi
    fraggle 8.9 mi
    alholley 4.1 mi

Last week:

Runner Date Event Dist. Location Goal Result

This week:

Runner Date Event Dist. Location Goal Result

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Welcome back Clive, does this mean you are running again?

Did anyone race over this (miserably hot humid) weekend?

Rob

Welcome back Clive, does this mean you are running again?

Nope.  Cycling a bit, though, and overeating pretty much daily.

Congrats to [MTA: Paul, although "Pal" works too!] Paul on a big week.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Rob, I raced the XTERRA NC Fisher Farm Race in Davidson. Final race of the Carolina Trail Race Series I've been running. It started at 8 am but the temp and humidity didn't feel to bad. Dirty Spokes Productions does the XTERRA races here and they do a great job with the trail races.

Lynwood, how did you fare?  Was this one of those traditional boring races that nobody cares about now where people actually race for a place and for a time? Or hopefully this race was wrapped around a theme, perhaps a "color mud" run where during the race they throw different colors of mud at you and you pay a reasonable amount for the pictures because you have to have the pictures if they are throwing colored mud at you and by reasonable I mean like $75 or $100 for the 4-5 pictures, plus add in an extra $50 for a digital copy you can put on your social media to brag to your friends and show your friends because that is also necessary, and perhaps a medal (did you already post your pictures)?

Shashi, I've run at McMullen the past two Saturdays. I don't understand why if your running fr Johnston Rd to 51 that they route you to the end of Carmel and just above the 2 mile mark, and then when you continue your then encounter a barrier at I485 at 1.35 miles where you basically have to walk 8 feet into the vegetation to walk over a ditch and under a 5' chain to access the remainder of the greenway? Also, this past Saturday it was so miserably humid there almost like a tropical rain forest!

Rob

Rob, don't know if you followed that Redbird Saga on the main forum, but I am not crawling under/around/over any barriers however flimsy they might be.  See my "run" Friday to basically take a half mile detour and get about 9 mile for an out/back on the greenway

Lynwood, how did you fare?  Was this one of those traditional boring races that nobody cares about now where people actually race for a place and for a time?

I fared ok, and got third in my age group.  And yes, this was just on old fashion trail race with roots, rocks, hills, and numerous switchbacks.  No themes other than those and fun had by all. Imagine that.  I guess trail runners don't dwell quite as much about time, but I still tried to run consistently hard.  Good thing I wasn't trying to compete with the 14 and under group.  Those little guys and girls were fast.

Shashi, your maps here are on "private" mode. When I ran fr Johnston Rd to 51 along the greenway, just past the 3 mi marker (and where the wooden "greenway closed" sign is off to the right of the path about 200 yds before you hit the chain link fence) I took a right off the greenway on a spur,  I then took a left on Five Cedars (there was a Detour sign pointing me left), and then when I got up to Carmel the detour sign pointed me left so I ran all the way down Carmel and then left and back onto the greenway in front of the two mile marker. Should I have run across Carmel and stayed on Five Cedars (I thought it strange that the detour puts onto the portion of the greenway bounded on both sides by a chain-link fence)? Yes, I've read the Redbird saga here and that thought did cross my mind (but its so remote there especially on a weekend) but you can clearly see that there is a worn path around both sides of the fence at the 1.35 mile mark (and there is no "barrier" at this fence vs. the one at the 2.75 mile mark which is basically a barricade - here, all you need to do is duck below a single strand chain that is about at 5 and there is about 3' of space width wise on both sides of that fence').

On Oct 9 they are combining two great traditions for a run here in Charlotte -- color and glow as there is a Color and Glow run!!!

Rob

Rob, Those detour signs confused me too, but you'll see another detour sign pointing you across Carmel (its on Carmel Rd looking North), I run across Carmel, take the first left onto Mirror Lake (or continue on Five Cedars which loops back to mirror lake), then in less than a quarter mile you can take the Mirror lake access on the right or continue to the end of that road (and maybe take a right on woodgate), and you see end of Detour sign and you run a little dirt section to get back on the Greenway.  You'll be on no traffic, surface streets for about a half mile

Thanx Shashi, amazing! I saw that sign across Carmel but it points down Carmel. And when I ran that day, I saw two runners coming back on Carmel so I thought I was on track (they were probably also mis-directed!). Not only are the signs confusing, but they are mislabeled as this is the McMullen Creek Greenway and the signs say McAlpine Greenway (almost as if wanted to save money and not make new signs since they had old signs in the warehouse!).

Rob