Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 11/8/2010 and RACING CONGRATS (Read 291 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I held off a bit longer on the weekly thread because I wanted Richard and Mike to get their marathon runs posted.  Here are the totals from last week.  I was a bit disappointed because I got my long week-end runs in but missed a 10 miler early in the week and that caused a 50 mile week to be low 40s.  Oh, well.

Richard and Mike ran NYC and congrats to you both.  Sashi ran Dowd and finished with a great time.  I'm a bit jealous of those mile splits.

NameDistance ▼Time
    CarolinaBlue 50.9 Mi 6:45:53
    Docster 47.1 Mi 6:41:05
    ChakaKahn 43.9 Mi 5:38:12
    Happyfeet 43.6 Mi 6:41:07
    theyapper66  43.2 Mi 7:10:09
    cpaterun 40.2 Mi 6:41:28
    CliveFenster 39.4 Mi 5:53:33
    old-runner 37.2 Mi 5:45:23
    Lpadg 32.7 Mi 4:55:04
    Onionbag1 26.2 Mi 5:16:34
    asdg123 18.6 Mi 3:05:05
    runslikeafraggle 11.9 Mi 1:58:23

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

How the hell do I run almost 40 miles and end up that far down the list?!

AngryBig grin

Nice week's work, everyone!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Ha!  I was reading Mike's report in the last thread and thought, "How is it that I'm running the highest mileage I've ever run and won't be anywhere near the time he ran on less training?"  I'm sure previous base has a lot to do with it.  I still have miles to go before I'm at that level. Big grin

Paul

old-runner

How the hell do I run almost 40 miles and end up that far down the list?!

AngryBig grin

Nice week's work, everyone!

I'm farther down the list than you are and I ran a marathon!

I knew I'd get slower as the race progressed but not as slow as I ended up. I wanted to keep a steady heart rate, but after I hit the wall I couldn't even get my heart rate up to where I wanted it because my legs wouldn't work right.

theyapper

On the road again...

Richard - what percentage of HR where you hoping to stay steady at?  Just curious.

Paul

Are we there yet?

Ha!  I was reading Mike's report in the last thread and thought, "How is it that I'm running the highest mileage I've ever run and won't be anywhere near the time he ran on less training?"  I'm sure previous base has a lot to do with it.  I still have miles to go before I'm at that level. Big grin

Nice work on the 200 mile Oct. yapper... if you can consistently hit those 200 mile months without injury, no doubt I'll be chasing you shortly. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice work on the 200 mile Oct. yapper... if you can consistently hit those 200 mile months without injury, no doubt I'll be chasing you shortly. 

Thanks.  I felt pretty good after that high month, although I may not be at 200 again until the beg of 2011.  I think my body handled it pretty well, but I still look at the fast pace you and others are able to hold for HM and M and drool.  But, I've come a long way in the short time I've been running.  I'll get there, and until then I'm thrilled to have runners like you guys here and others as motivation.

Paul

Clive I was thinking the same thing, as I ran a new mileage PR and was happy.  Then I saw that I was just warming the bench.  Good running by all, and congrats to the racers.  And Paul, I agree about the paces.  I could run 50 mile weeks for two years and won't touch Mike.  I had a lot of fast friends get mowed down by the Marine Corp Marathon too.  One guy ended up at 3:47 for MCM, swore he would never run another, then came back 6 days later at the Dowd Half and ran a 1:33!  How's that happen? 

old-runner

Richard - what percentage of HR where you hoping to stay steady at?  Just curious.

I wanted to stay at about 85% of my max (that would be about 154), which is higher than anybody would recommend. If I'm at 70-75%, which would be what most people would say I should do, then I'd be running about the speed of Al Roker, who finished in 7:09. 

I've now run 16 half marathons and don't have any trouble staying at 90-92% of my MHR, which is 163 to 166 (counting 181 as my max). That gives you an idea of why I'm able to run better in half marathons. I'm able to sustain the momentum for about 13.1 miles but not much farther than that.

I wanted to stay at about 85% of my max (that would be about 154), which is higher than anybody would recommend. If I'm at 70-75%, which would be what most people would say I should do, then I'd be running about the speed of Al Roker, who finished in 7:09. 

I've now run 16 half marathons and don't have any trouble staying at 90-92% of my MHR, which is 163 to 166 (counting 181 as my max). That gives you an idea of why I'm able to run better in half marathons. I'm able to sustain the momentum for about 13.1 miles but not much farther than that.

FWIW: Even with bouts of cramp-induced walking (that let my HR drop), I ran TCM at about 86% of my 175bpm HRmax.

Experiments of one, we are.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I am usually at 150 for a couple of minutes during my cool down walks.  I think my normal training runs I am in the 160s and racing in the 170s, I am sure I am over 190 during the last mile, as I have reached that running on a treadmill at lower perceived effort.  Which is why I ditched the Heart rate training a few years ago.  Will be interesting to know what my max is, probably right around 195-200, always chickened out while the HR is still climbing, was able to get it to 197 once on a treadmill.

I think the only reliable HR measurement that tells us whether we are training at the right intensities is the Resting Heart Rate (RHR) in the morning.  I expect it to be 4-5 beats higher the morning after a hard workout, but should be back to normal after easy/recovery days.

MTA -  And the RHR should fall over a training cycle if your aerobic conditioning has improved. It has not done so for me over this training cycle and has remained at around 50, probably telling me that I did something wrong, although I believe my endurance (holding pace for a longer duration) has improved .

theyapper

On the road again...

My RHR was 70 when I started running back in April 2008, and now hovers around the low 50s.  Lowest I ever saw it was 49.

Paul

When I switched over fr swimming to running a year ago, my RHR went fr 49 to 41.  This low RHR "hits me" as whenever I get up from a sitting or lying down position, I almost black out (I have to pause and breathe for a second or two -- after having blacked out/fainted twice).  When I go for a run and if I drive to a location, I have to walk for two to three minutes to get my HR up into the 60/70's (if I don't, my HR is like in the 50's and its "too low" to run what will happen is that my HR tends to skyrocket over the first 5-10 minutes into the low 200's).

Is anyone racing this weekend?

Rob

When I switched over fr swimming to running a year ago, my RHR went fr 49 to 41.  This low RHR "hits me" as whenever I get up from a sitting or lying down position, I almost black out (I have to pause and breathe for a second or two -- after having blacked out/fainted twice).  When I go for a run and if I drive to a location, I have to walk for two to three minutes to get my HR up into the 60/70's (if I don't, my HR is like in the 50's and its "too low" to run what will happen is that my HR tends to skyrocket over the first 5-10 minutes into the low 200's).

Orthostatic hypotension.  Mine's not so bad as yours, though -- I just have to hold onto something to steady myself. I ran when I was young, and my RHR has been super-low for as long as I can remember.  Lowest I ever measured it while awake was something like 31, and the nurse had to disable an alarm in the hospital once because it was set to alarm if my HR dropped under 40.  Good times.

And thanks for sharing the HR-spiking phenomenon.  I'd noticed my HR data has crazy elevated HR in the first mile (like 150s) before settling to 120-ish for the easy run.  I've been thinking there was something wrong with the HRM or that my shirt was causing static interference before it got sweaty!

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

You guys have some crazy low RHR.  I think I'll be happy when mine is in the upper 40s, and I'm sure over time it will drop closer to that level.

5 good miles this morning - threw in a couple hill charges for fun.

I'm not racing this week-end, but I am coming over to take part in the first of 2 Thunder Road preview runs.

Paul