Charlotte, NC area runners

Southpark Turkey Trot - 11/26/09 (Read 206 times)

old-runner

Lynwood and Shashi... I kept an eye out for both of you but never saw either of you. Did you see each other? Hard to find anybody with 6,000+ people standing around!

I saw in the results that you both ran... pretty fun race huh? I was pleasantly surprised there seemed to be way more downhill than uphill. There will be pictures from carolinashapshot.com once they're ready. Hope they turn out good... it looked like London out there with all that fog.

Anybody else run it??

I found most of my large group of Charlotte Runners, but I never saw ya'll.  I would definitely say hey.  I did meet some people at Rooster's so by the time I got to the start line we were well back.  I think it was 2 minutes just to get across the start line.  I saw my first mile at about 9 something and I knew I was done as far as a good time.  I ended up with about the same as last year at 41:41 roughly.  I'll take that, and just decided to enjoy it, and I did.  Despite all the people that run this race, I still enjoy it. The guy dressed like a turkey always cracks me up.

I try to analyze what pace I would run if I ran a perfect race, with nobody blocking the way.  Does anybody else do this?  I use it as a way to judge where I really am at fitness wise.  I thought I might be able to run 38 or so, but have to admit 40 would be good estimate.  Richard, I see a big difference in our fitness levels because I noticed a lot of the uphills.  I don't like hills at all though. 

old-runner

Hey Lynwood... I remembered you saying you were meeting at Rooster's but I didn't know where that was until after the race when everything else was closed in the area and we drove back in to Bojangles.

So you noticed quite a few hills in there? Trust me, I'm a hill hater from way back and never do any hill work except in races. I'd like to think I'm oblivious to the hills now, but most likely I was just kind of zoned out. There were two other runners in my age group (who both eventually beat me -- I finished 3rd) who I started out near and wanted to keep up with during the race. I completely lost track of the one who finished in 1st place and the one who finished in 2nd place passed me at maybe 2/10 of a mile before the finish line, at which time I was pretty much out of gas.

Richard, I've been thinking about this for a while.  I think I know a way to make us both rich.  We need to contact Weight Watchers and tell them your story!  I'll be your agent.  We could make you the "Jared" of Weight Watchers, like Jared did with Subway.

old-runner

Richard, I've been thinking about this for a while.  I think I know a way to make us both rich.  We need to contact Weight Watchers and tell them your story!  I'll be your agent.  We could make you the "Jared" of Weight Watchers, like Jared did with Subway.

Haha... I appreciate it but I don't that'll work. You'd be amazed at the success stories on the Weight Watchers site, all by people much younger and more beautiful than me. I don't think I quite fit the mold of what they're looking for, although I AM faster than any of the other ones I've seen! Sadly though I don't think they're looking for an old man with raw running ability and not a lot of sex appeal. Guess I'll just have to be happy with being scrawny and doing pretty well in races!

Richard, saw you run on New hope today around 1:00 PM, I thought you'd be running a race somewhere.  Wish I had called you and ran togethter, ended up running a total 13 miles to MRP and back at 10:00 AM, pretty good workout today.  Gives me hope of being close to that 1:50 at Thunder Road

Shashi

old-runner

Shashi... I wish you would have let me know so we could run together... that's the same run I did except I started out at 1 o'clock. I go up New Hope and turn left at Domino's so there's a sidewalk all the way (wasn't sure if you went that way or not). It was nice but boring. I didn't see one other runner the whole way.

I don't think there were any races today other than a cross country thing at McAlpine and I think that was for high schoolers or something like that.

Next week there's a race in Kings Mountain. You ought to do that one. They've got a 5k and a 10k, both small races. I think the 10k had about 50 runners last year, and maybe 100 in the 5k.

under a rock

Richard, we also saw you running today on our way home from visiting in Michigan.
                  old-runner

Richard, we also saw you running today on our way home from visiting in Michigan.

Whew... no wonder I was so tired... I don't even remember crossing the state line!

Just kiddin' of course, but I was tired... hope you had a good time in Michigan and that the ITB is getting better!

No wonder Richard is so fast! 

Ashley, are you still having IT Band issues? 

OrthoCarolina got me started recently doing hip abductor exercises to strengthen that area.  Side and rear strengthening.  3 x 30 initially, everyday, though after a week I could do 5 x 30 easily.  No rush to increase beyond the 3 x 30 for 4 weeks or more if needed.  I was told my weak hip abductors was a big reason I get IT band soreness.  Just another idea that might help you.  I've noticed a big improvement. 

I continually roll mine daily, (several times during the evening) with the roller as they do get a little sore periodically. I do it until I don't feel an major soreness.  And I'm using the Stick underneath nearer the hamstring area, and my quads.  Then the IT Band, quads, and hamstring stretches.  Major focus on cooldown stretching now too.  I realized I was doing basically none, and just standing around talking to other runners instead.

under a rock

My IT band is doing so much better. I still have twinges here and there but nothing a day or two off with lots of stretching and rolling won't help. I am feeling it after the trip to Michigan, all that sitting in the car, being away from my foam roller and my normal routine has made it tighten up a bit but I wouldn't call it painful. I am working on strengthening my hips. Running Times had an article in the last issue with a series of hip strengthening exercises to help combat IT band problems. I've been doing the routine for almost four weeks now and I have high hopes that it will do the trick to help keep it at bay.