Racing and whatnot:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

Last week:

Joe in Raleigh 02FEB2013 Uwharrie Mountain 40 40mi Uwharrie NF 9:37:00 10:10:09
    old-runner 02FEB2013 49er Gold Rush 5k Charlotte NC na DNS (too cold)

This week:            
    old-runner 09FEB2013 Cupid's Cup 5k Charlotte NC 21:00  
    CliveF 09FEB2013 Cupid's Cup 5k Charlotte NC 19:15  
    fraggle 09FEB2013 Expedition Paris Mtn. 10 10mi Greenville SC fun/finish!  

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Clive... Put me down for Cupid's Cup this week too. Last year I ran it in 20:31 but there's no way I'll do that this year... 21:00 is a stretch right now but that's my goal. See you at the race!

Run Long, and Prosper!

Morning all, still recovering from this weekend's race.  I had a great time and while I didn't hit my goal, I knew I wouldn't going in due to lack of training.  On the positive side I was very consistent through the race ending with only a 10 minute positive split.  Starting temp was 18* with a high of 39* which wasn't as bad I was expecting.  I started off with three layers, gloves, and beanie, and dropped the gloves, beanie and was down to one layer by the turn.

Hope everyone has a great week!

"Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning."

- Thomas Jefferson

Morning all, still recovering from this weekend's race.  I had a great time and while I didn't hit my goal, I knew I wouldn't going in due to lack of training.  On the positive side I was very consistent through the race ending with only a 10 minute positive split.  Starting temp was 18* with a high of 39* which wasn't as bad I was expecting.  I started off with three layers, gloves, and beanie, and dropped the gloves, beanie and was down to one layer by the turn.

Hard for me to imagine running 40 miles, let alone trying to do it for time.

And "by the turn" -- hah!  Only twenty more miles to go! Surprised

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Run Long, and Prosper!

Hard for me to imagine running 40 miles, let alone trying to do it for time.

And "by the turn" -- hah!  Only twenty more miles to go! Surprised

Its interesting to see different perspectives of what is difficult or "hard to imagine", running a sub-20 5k seems about impossible to me.

"Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning."

- Thomas Jefferson

Congrats Joe. Sounds like a great time. Man, that's a lot of running.
              old-runner

Its interesting to see different perspectives of what is difficult or "hard to imagine", running a sub-20 5k seems about impossible to me.

Congrats on your run Joe!

Running 40 miles and/or a sub-20 5k are both impossible to me!

Richard, you were running sub 20 pace easily tonight, the last two repeats for me were at 6:48 and 6:16 pace and you beat me by a big margin.  And I had to walk between those intervals where you just ran through.

Joe, congrats! What was your refueling in such a long race? I can't imagine consuming gels because after several hours they would begin to really mess w/one's stomach (and its not like you can eat solid food in a race that long also)?

Rob

Run Long, and Prosper!

Joe, congrats! What was your refueling in such a long race? I can't imagine consuming gels because after several hours they would begin to really mess w/one's stomach (and its not like you can eat solid food in a race that long also)?

Rob, for fluids, I stuck to water taking 1 Endurolyte capsule every hour for electrolytes.  For calories, I was consuming PBJs, bananas, boiled potatoes, soup, cookies, pickles, or whatever else sounded good at the aid stations (approximately 200 calorie intake per hour). For example at one aid station I would grab 1 egg sized piece of potato with salt and a quarter of a pbj.  The key to keeping it down is finding your maximum heart rate at which your body can still run and digest food and then keeping your heartrate below it.  For me its around 75% of my measured max. As long as I'm below that threshhold, my stomach can handle the food.

- Thomas Jefferson

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

Congrats on your race Joe!  I'm curious,  they had pickles at the aid stations? I think I would like that.

Cindy 

There's a rinky-dink marathon I know where a dude gives out pickle juice about 4-5 miles from the finish.  Did not have the guts to try it.  Others have recommended it

The key to keeping it down is finding your maximum heart rate at which your body can still run and digest food and then keeping your heartrate below it.  For me its around 75% of my measured max. As long as I'm below that threshhold, my stomach can handle the food.

That sounds like it took a significant amount of trial and error.  I'm usually able to run after a meal, but I have no idea if my body is digesting the food while I run or just enduring it as cargo.  As long as there's no "Boston Tea Party" type gastric event, I'm good!

-- Dick LeBeau

For calories, I was consuming PBJs, bananas, boiled potatoes, soup, cookies, pickles, or whatever else sounded good at the aid stations (approximately 200 calorie intake per hour). The key to keeping it down is finding your maximum heart rate at which your body can still run and digest food and then keeping your heartrate below it.  For me its around 75% of my measured max. As long as I'm below that threshhold, my stomach can handle the food.

PBJ's? For me, whenever I eat peanut butter (fr the container) its very "heavy" and sits in my stomach (like a weight). I can't imagine consuming that during a run (unless the PBJ was very light on the PB). I agree w/Cliff about trail and error but you would have had to experiment doing this during long runs. Do you actually practice consuming such foods on your long runs (do you set up a "banquet table" somewhere along your long run course? how do you get your PBJ's to maintain its form after 10 miles when stuffed in your pocket...I would hate to be the one to clean the pockets of your shorts post-run?)?

Rob

Run Long, and Prosper!

Congrats on your race Joe!  I'm curious,  they had pickles at the aid stations? I think I would like that.

You know, I never ate pickles before in a race but I saw them and they sounded good and they tasted great, also lots of sodium which worked well for me as I was only drinking water (the race served Heed which is the worst tasting sports drink I've ever had).

- Thomas Jefferson