Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 12/13/2010 (Read 264 times)

Paul, I think the highest HR I've seen on the Garmin is 175.  My resting HR has been pretty low back since I ran in high school and beyond -- I can remember resting rates in the low 30s, but I never knew my max back then.  The RHR these days is really low, as in 30 when I had my physical a week or two ago.

Ashley: nice run!  Sounds like fun.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

under a rock

Photos from this morning's snow/sleet run on the ridgeline @ kings mtn.

theyapper

On the road again...

The RHR these days is really low, as in 30 when I had my physical a week or two ago.

Ok, that clears it up. You are a freak. Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Nice pics Ashley... Looks like a fun run in the snow!

Clive Fenster... I saw your name in the results. I had been planning on running that race but more and more and I'm liking this cold weather less and less so I decided to stay home. After two years of running 50 races a year I decided that at least in the cold weather I'm going to just race occasionally. Clive... you did great! It's funny what a fast field of runners that is for such a small race.

Ashley, those pics scare me (to me, the dusting of snow and multitude of leaves all obscure those evil rocks and large tree roots that lie menacingly beneath -- all conspiring to further injure someone's sprained foot)!

Cliff/Clive - congrats on the PR and time drop!  How chaotic was the first 400m (did you have to run over/around a bunch of 10-12 year olds that crowd the front, sprint the first 200m and then die and then become roadkill for the other runners behind them -- I've seen this common theme at many races)?

Rob

Cliff/Clive - congrats on the PR and time drop!  How chaotic was the first 400m (did you have to run over/around a bunch of 10-12 year olds that crowd the front, sprint the first 200m and then die and then become roadkill for the other runners behind them -- I've seen this common theme at many races)?

Quite a few kids, as well as moms or dads with kids.  But it's a nice little community race with a friendly feel you just don't get at the monolithic events, so that's just part of the charm.  I have to admit, there were a few times when I looked at someone and said to myself, "See you in 400 meters!"  But I saw one guy who looked kind of ... big ... to be running at sub-20 pace.  Then I remembered the somewhat big guy I unsuccessfully chased at sub-6:50 pace over the last mile of my 10k in October.  Guess you still can't judge books by their covers.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Great PR Clive! Congratulations. Ashley those pics are great. I would love to run there sometime. Rob you could just follow me because I would trip over everything and show you what to miss. I tripped the other night on the street and it was totally flat. I'm glad nobody saw me. I did laugh at myself though.

under a rock

Admittedly I don't know much about heart rates. Is a lower standing heart rate indicative of how fit you are? Is it something I should check? Great PR Clive! Congratulations. Ashley those pics are great. I would love to run there sometime. Rob you could just follow me because I would trip over everything and show you what to miss. I tipped the other night on the street and it was totally flat. I'm glad nobody saw me. I did laugh at myself though.

I always trip on the easiest spots, perfectly flat and hardly a root or rock insight. The other day I rolled my ankle running on a paved greenway because I was busy yapping and drifted off the edge of the asphalt. The nice thing about that sleet was that it actually made it easier on the leafy trail sections to see the roots and rocks because it smooshed the leaves down. On the way out before the sleet the leaves were fluffy and deep, had to have blind faith that I wouldn't step on any roots or rocks.

Ashley, those pics look like they belong in a book of poetry.  Beautiful and peaceful.

-- Dick LeBeau

Lynwood, I'm sure I would find something as my size 14 feet (as Richard likes to point out) are a magnet for rocks & roots!  Thanx though.  My right foot is injured again (it began to hurt really bad during my long run yesterday).  The pain is along the outside of the foot about 2 inches down fr the toes start (not where it was sprained).  Went in to get it x-rayed as I was very fearful that I had broken the 5th metatarsal somewhere (all of the signs pointed to this).  Fortunately the x-rays were clean.  Now onto the ortho as I'm (unfortunately) told this could be an issue w/a tendon or ligament.

Rob

Clive... you did great! It's funny what a fast field of runners that is for such a small race.

I have a growing concern that the Christmas Elf 5k course was slightly short.  My Garmin had it a smidge under 5.00km, although the path plot is pretty choppy.  I haven't been able to map it in MapMyRun or RA and get anything more than 4.85-4.92 or so.  And the field was oddly fast for such a small event.

Crap.  Nothing like posting a breakthrough time and then distrusting it. Sad

-- Dick LeBeau