Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 7/11/11 (Read 311 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Sash - how far would I be running if I said I'd do it?  Notice the word "if." Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Paul, as much or as little as you want.  At this point even if you can give us 3 legs it will help.  

However according to the relay rules these 3 will have to be consecutive (in the order of rotation), meaning if you miss one of your legs you are dropping out of the race and all the other runners move up. So this will mean shorter rest between the running you will be doing, maybe the same mileage as you would have done on a full team.  However since we are not a competitive team, if the rest of the team agrees we can talk to the RD to see if we can play around with the rotation order and give you longer rest between the runs if needed. 

Relays are my favorite running events.  You'll have a surely have a lot of fun and make many friends. 

theyapper

On the road again...

When is the race?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Sep 9 and 10th, if you can't commit to both days you could even get done Friday and get back, but transportation back home becomes an issue. The mileage for 3 runs looks like between 12 and 22 miles depending on which spot you'll run in.  For the full 6 legs it's between 29 and 39 miles with most right at 32 miles total.

If interested, maybe we should move this to Private Messages.  

old-runner

Richard has already call me out. So-here I am. Hi all, this is Phyllis.

Ran 11 this morning. I.COULD.BREATH. Frankly, I'm very thankful for the fall-like weather.

What do you guys think about running with someone else's bib? I know someone who has registered for the Scream has to withdraw due to injuries. Race director said it's too late for a transfer. I definitely don't want to do anything illegal...but it's such a waste for a sold-out race.

Hey Phyllis... Glad you made it in here!

I think running with somebody else's bib tomorrow morning is a heck of a good idea... it's paid for and it's a shame for it to go unused! They don't know you from Heather and they don't care... they're for sure not going to check your ID. They just don't want to have to worry about changing things right now. Make sure it's okay with Heather and run it.

I think she paid for the bus to the top too, didn't she? If so, just give them her name when you get on the bus.

old-runner

Pretty good day for me at The Scream! Half Marathon... New all-time PR at 1:32:11... I had quite a bit of help from gravity since at least 8 or 9 miles was downhill, but it was tougher than I expected with rain the entire time and about 11 miles of dirt road. Fun race though and one of the nicest T-shirts ever.

Congrats Richard!  That's a great time.

under a rock

Great job Richard! How do your quads feel today? I hope I can have my legs in order to do that one next year. The shirt looks really cool.

old-runner

Great job Richard! How do your quads feel today? I hope I can have my legs in order to do that one next year. The shirt looks really cool.

Thanks Ashley... you oughta do it next year... lots of fun! I'm pretty sore today but not much more than anytime I run a half marathon. I'd take the day completely off but I need to run at least 1 mile to keep my running streak going. 

I'm planning on coming out and running with you guys at Crowders Mountain next Sunday. You oughta post it in here too... maybe some of these guys would like to join us out there. But please let's do the easier loop... not the tough one you mentioned.

atomno2

So I did the Athletic Quilt Street Light 5K last night coming off of vacation.  I wanted to run somewhere in the 24s, but it was not in the cards.  I came in at 26:30 something.  I guess I can blame it on a solid 7 days of eating and drinking, and only a few mid day (hot) runs.  Better luck next time. On a better note, it was a PR!

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

old-runner

Congrats on the PR Adam! It might be hard to take minutes off of your 5k quickly but if you're chipping away at it and running a few seconds faster that's great. 

I ran the Athletic Quilt 5k last year and won 50 bucks in their drawing after the race... that definitely makes it one of the better races, especially if you win the cash!

Richard, I ran a bit on the harder side too today, and the nice thing about going that way is its mostly downhill on the way back, while the easier side will be kind of uphill on the return.  But going towards Kings Mtn park (the easier side) is the way to go as it has little nicer footing, and gentler hills.  The other side is more rocky and more exposed roots etc, even though on the other side there are a lot of fallen trees which the SC parks people are not as diligent about clearing as the NC folks.

under a rock

The other side is more rocky and more exposed roots etc, even though on the other side there are a lot of fallen trees which the SC parks people are not as diligent about clearing as the NC folks.

I KNOW! It takes the Kings Mtn Park people forever to clear out fallen trees. It's taken them more than 6 months in the past to clear some away. It makes me wonder how often they actually go out and check the trails. In the winter they are even slower about getting it cleaned up. Heck, there was a large fallen tree less than .25 mi from the Military park visitor center that took them at least four months to clear off the trail. All that being said, I still absolutely love that park.

Richard we will do the easier side for you next week but after that I think everyone is itching for some pain. Wink

Very nice Adam.  Great PR.  I'll bet you'll keep that coming on down too!