Charlotte, NC area runners

Thunder Road Half Marathon (Read 296 times)

old-runner

Hey folks... I just looked at the race results and noticed that 3 of us ran the Thunder Road Half Marathon yesterday and we all finished within 4 minutes of each other... what a co-ink-a-dink! The TR Half Marathon was my first race farther than 5k. I'm 56 and just started running about four months ago (Labor Day Weekend) so I was pretty happy with my time of 2:01:05 but I kinda wish I would have skipped the bathroom break at mile 8! I just joined this group recently and was happy to find some other Charlotte area runners here. I see there hasn't been much activity in this forum but hopefully that can pick up over time.
    theyapper

On the road again...

Hey Richard, I'm one of the ones who ran the TR HM. It was my first half and I was hoping to break 2 hours. Got close - 02:03:28 - and will hopefully get under 2 hours next time! Welcome to the group. Hopefully, as you said, the activity will increase, too.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Hi Paul, Glad to see somebody finally showed up in here! I've been checking this forum every couple of days at least and was beginning to think everybody was gone. It would be great if some Charlotte area runners would get involved in this forum. It would be nice to get to know some of the other local runners. Have you seen the Athlinks.com website? It's kind of like Facebook for runners and is really great. I joined recently and the race results for most of my races were already in there. I think this is your results from Thunder Road... http://www.athlinks.com/myresults.aspx?rid=44550376 I could be wrong about that... might just be a results page for me or something. Here's my page so you can get an idea of how it works... http://www.athlinks.com/racer/43527955/Richard-Hefner.aspx I hope you'll join and if you do, be sure to send me a friend request. It's not a site that would compete with the RunningAhead site. It's a whole different thing and both sites complement each other.
          Hi guys, I have been trying not to spend too much time on RA except for logging my training. Yeah I think the 3 of us on this post have run so close to each other, we might have passed each other somewhere along the course. I am planning on either the Corporate Cup on March 7or Race Fest in April or maybe both. Hope to see you guys there.
            Hey folks. I actually did the baggage check (along with my wife) at TR. We did get some help at times, but it was mostly us two. Next up for me is the Myrtle Beach half, and then Boston. (I qualified at MB last year, in fact)
            old-runner

Hi HMhopeful... I'm planning on running the Corporate Cup and the Charlotte Racefest too but haven't decided if I'll run the half marathon or one of the shorter races on either one. I'm hoping to run the New Jersey Marathon on May 3rd so I think the Corporate Cup half marathon works best into my schedule. I see you ran the Spencer Mountain 10-miler in 2007. That's only about 3 miles from my house but after I drove the course I wimped out and went to a different race that day. That last hill looks like a killer! Hi Docster... Good luck at Myrtle Beach and especially Boston! I'd love to qualify for Boston one of these days but I guess I'd better finish my first marathon and see how that goes and if I can do it before I start making plans for Boston. I'll be 57 this month and I just started running in September 2008 and I hear that if you stay healthy and do things right you can keep improving for five years or so (I'll let you know if that's true in about five years). If so, my BQ time will be 4 hours in about 3 years so I'm hoping that's a future possibility for me. I see you did your 22-mile long run for Myrtle Beach yesterday (02/01/09). Way to go!
                I see you ran the Spencer Mountain 10-miler in 2007. That's only about 3 miles from my house but after I drove the course I wimped out and went to a different race that day. That last hill looks like a killer!
                The second half of the course is beautiful in fall. I ran it the first time in 2005, when I just started running and walked all the hills and my time was something like 1:53Tight lippedx. That last hill is not as bad as it looks. That couse is fast in the early part, especially miles 2-5, and you can bank some time, and then even if you walk a couple of minutes on the last hill (like most mid packers do), I think you'll still have a faster pace than on the half marathon courses in Charlotte with all the rolling hills.
                old-runner

I'll have to keep that in mind next year for the Spencer Mountain 10 and maybe I'll give it a try. Hope they don't mind me walking the last 3 miles (actually, maybe I'll do some hill work before then).
                    Hello all! I just joined the Charlotte forum and saw this thread. I also ran the Thunder Road HM at 1:56:29. First ever run at that distance, so I was stoked. I'm looking forward to getting faster! I cut my distance back after the half due to injuries, but I"m building mileage now. I was only able to run three weeks over 20 miles before the half, so I'm excited to see what I can do this year. Gotta make myself slow down to build real base miles. I'll try to figure out the Garmin download and add some training info soon. I will probably run the 5K at the Corporate Cup, then run the half at the Racefest. L
                    theyapper

On the road again...

Welcome to the group! We must have been very close to each other during the TR half - I finished about 7 minutes behind you.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Welcome as well. Unless you slowed down as much as I did in the last couple of miles, we were probably running within sight of each other. I finished at 1:59 +, I was on pace to finish at 1:56 through 10 miles.
                          Thanks. I appreciate the welcome. Looks like several of us were close together. I had friends finishing near the same time and never saw them. The race was an awesome experience to say the least, especially being my first half, and also the first time I had run that distance. I've been wondering how the next one will compare to be honest? I haven't gone back and looked at my splits but I didn't slow down too much. I ran mostly even splits. I do know that the last half mile was brutal to maintain my pace. When they routed us up into that "parking lot"? or whatever that was, I wanted to scream at somebody! Smile I think my lack of many long runs brought that fatigue on for sure.