Charlotte, NC area runners

Race report thread (Read 588 times)

I'll start this thread. If it dies. then so be it. Smile I ran the Myrtle Beach HM last weekend. Great race, and I exceeded my inner goal by a few seconds. 4 minute PR from 18 months ago. (copied from the low heart rate forum post I made) -------------------------------- Ok, here is my Garmin data from the Myrtle Beach half marathon. Official race time was 1:27:54. Time Distance Avg. HR Split time Max. HR Split pace 0:06:43 1 171 6:43 178 6:42 0:13:27 2.01 177 6:42 180 6:41 0:20:07 3.01 178 6:40 181 6:42 0:26:51 4.01 179 6:43 182 6:42 0:33:28 5.01 179 6:37 183 6:38 0:40:06 6.01 180 6:37 182 6:38 0:46:46 7.01 180 6:39 184 6:39 0:53:25 8.01 181 6:39 183 6:39 0:59:57 9.01 181 6:32 183 6:34 1:06:32 10.01 181 6:34 184 6:34 1:13:01 11.01 184 6:28 186 6:28 1:19:36 12.01 184 6:35 186 6:35 1:26:12 13.01 184 6:36 186 6:37 1:27:57 13.31 187 1:44 192 5:51 =================================================== The race temps were ~55 and overcast at the start, and stayed that way. Perfect temps for the most part. There was a breeze (esp. miles 4-Cool but nothing horrible. While my weight was not where I wanted it, my fitness had picked up the past month. Consistent training, and getting some decent mileage (65-70mpw) was the key no doubt. I also feel that in order to run a "hard" half, you really need speedwork. I focused mainly on 20-25 minute tempo runs. I did one or two marathon paced mid distance runs. (2 mile warmup, 7@MP, then a 2 mile cooldown) So next up is Boston! I feel if I stay healthy, get my #@%$#@ weight down about 6-8 pounds, then I should be able to run anywhere from 3:05-3:07, even with the hills. That's my hope, anyway. Roll eyes
      Good race, consistent splits. You should see mine, start at 8:30 end up at 9:30-10 min./miles. I bet those 55-70 MPW help. Unfortunately I dont race a lot as Saturdays are usually busy for me. So don't expect too many race reports from me.
      theyapper

On the road again...

Looks like you had a great training plan and ran a great race. Nice to see the payoff! Good job.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Docster... How do you use the heart rate data? I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and used the heart rate monitor for the first few weeks I had it but I didn't really know what to do with it so I stopped wearing the sensor. Of course, if my heart rate would have been excessively high that would have told me something but the numbers seemed to be about like your, generally around the 150-180 range or so. When I'm running and using the heart rate monitor I can't really see it because the display is too small to read without my glasses and I don't wear them while I'm running. I was just checking the data after I uploaded it to my computer. Am I missing something major by not using it?
            Docster... How do you use the heart rate data? I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and used the heart rate monitor for the first few weeks I had it but I didn't really know what to do with it so I stopped wearing the sensor. Of course, if my heart rate would have been excessively high that would have told me something but the numbers seemed to be about like your, generally around the 150-180 range or so. When I'm running and using the heart rate monitor I can't really see it because the display is too small to read without my glasses and I don't wear them while I'm running. I was just checking the data after I uploaded it to my computer. Am I missing something major by not using it?
            Ok, one of the first things I would recommend would be to join the (low) heart rate forum on this site. I use the word low loosely, as I don't consider it that anymore, especially with the progress I have seen. Here is the FAQ from that forum which has a wealth of information: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/Forum/60275b29d3324bd384739e880f6a7495 I know it's a long read, but really, give it a chance. I contribute it to probably the main reason for my improvements over the past 2.5 years of running. The main thing I use the HRM for is so that I'm not overtraining. To be honest, many of us "normal" runners overtrain, which is one of the main reasons we are often injured, fail to improve, bonk at mile 20 of a marathon, etc. My non speed work runs (which is 90% of them) I average anywhere from 135 to 144 HR. (On long runs, I'll be a bit higher overall, which is fine) The key to endurance running is to build this very deep aerobic base, and running too hard erodes that. However, it's difficult for people to have the patience (much less the humility) to slow down. Two years ago at an avg. HR of 145 during a run, my paces were over 10 minutes. Today they are around 8:15 at the same HR. Our HR doesn't lie. You can't fake it. When it's 95 degrees out, you can't run at anywhere near the same speed as when it's 50 out. The HRM tells me so. Lastly, with regards to the Garmin 305 and the HR display. The default display has this tiny HR window on it. You can change the data fields (3 fields, 4 fields, etc) and what is displayed in them. It's completely customizable and doesn't take long at all once you get the hang of it. The first thing I did was make my HR display on a larger field! Then I use the software from http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/ to uploade the data to. It's 10x better than the Garmin software, and it's free. Smile I have left a LOT of important data/information out, but again, I highly recommend reading the FAQ. Or just fire more questions away here and I'll do what I can. Smile
            old-runner

Thanks Docster! I joined the Low HR Training group just now and as soon as I get a chance I'll start going through some of the info. I'll also see if I can set my Garmin display up like it should be for HR monitoring. Looking forward to trying out the heart rate training... at my age it might be especially helpful.
                Thanks guys, this is awesome information. I will have to join the low HR Training group too. I bought the Garmin 205 two years ago thinking I didn't need a heart rate monitor telling me my heart was exploding. I now see the error of my ways and have constantly fought tendonitis issues. I didn't know any better. Looking forward to learning a lot from ya'll. I am a MASTER of the foam roller though if anybody needs that kind of advice. Smile I use it for IT Band issues, outside and inside knee soreness, and calf/achiles problems. I also roll my back with it and do core work, via rolling crunches. It will save a runner from a LOT of issues and it even seems to speed recovery for me. Anybody else use a foam roller enough to consider that possibility? L
                theyapper

On the road again...

I am a MASTER of the foam roller though if anybody needs that kind of advice. Smile I use it for IT Band issues, outside and inside knee soreness, and calf/achiles problems. I also roll my back with it and do core work, via rolling crunches. It will save a runner from a LOT of issues and it even seems to speed recovery for me. Anybody else use a foam roller enough to consider that possibility? L
                  Well, now that you let us know that you're the resident expert on foam rollers, do you have a certain one you'd recommend? I'm getting one in the next few weeks. Thanks!

Paul

This is what I bought. I had never heard of the company and a co-worker found it via Google. But the roller is nice and firm enough that I can stand on it (carefully) and stretch my calves. I bought the Nimbus Endurbead shown on the right side of the page. http://www.nefitco.com/index.php
                    theyapper

On the road again...

http://www.nefitco.com/index.php
                      Your link was funky so I fixed it. Thanks for the suggestion, that one looks great and at a good price, too!

Paul

I ran the Texas Independence relay this weekend and couldn't runt he corporate cup. My long race report if you haven't seen it is in the racing forum. TIR 2009 I hope to run the south park race fest, debating if I should do the 10K or the half, I have never raced a 10K before, and there are not that many 10k's in our area.
                          That was a fun report Shashi. Sounds like a very memorable event. Congratulations.
                            I just finished the Charlotte Racefest at 2:01:45. So much for a PR. Smile I am actually very happy with it. I resorted to Ibuprofen Friday with some serious dosage, (I do not race taking anything) and the ibuprofen worked. I felt ok this morning for the first time in over a month. I was a little worried about how I would hold up. I haven't been able to run more than 7 or 8 since last fall I think. It was absolutely the hardest run I've ever done. (granted, I haven't been running very long) If I had known how many hills were on this course I would not have run. Now, my leg feels very good and I am so glad I did it. I think it is considerably harder than Thunder Road but will be interested to hear other reports. After the first three miles went uphill, I knew there was no way I would run below 1:56 so I set my target at 2 hours. I basically held that pace until mile 10. At that point a guy in front of me started running erratically and then started to fall. I ran over to him and his eyes were not focusing on anything and he would not respond to me. He was a big guy so I was struggling to help him to the side of the road. Luckily, another kind soul came over to help, along with a girl I run with on Thursdays. I had just passed her. I was amazed at how many people kept running by us. He looked totally unconscious but with his eyes open. I don't know how to describe it other than that. We stayed with him until we got a policeman up the street to come help and call for the medics. The policeman said he could handle it from there, but I felt horrible leaving. I truly didn't know what to do. I will check the news to see if I see any reports about it, but I hope he's ok. It kind of shook me up to be honest. Otherwise, this was a great run. It would be a great training half for anyone doing a full later in the month. Hope ya'll's runs and races went well.
                            old-runner

Lynwood... glad the race worked out despite the hills. I just looked at the Charlotte Observer site and didn't see anything about anybody croaking in the race so hopefully that runner who fell is okay. I found Theodon Janes' blog message about RaceFest and he was talking about the hills too. I ran the "Run for the Money 5k" in Gastonia and was happy to get another PR -- 22:15 -- but a little bummed that with 750 runners they had 10-year age groups and only gave awards to the top 2 runners in each age group. I would have gotten 1st place in the normal 55-59 age group. Instead I ended up in 8th place in 50-59... oy! And Lynwood... it's great to see you joined Athlinks... what a great way to keep up with your races. Hope everybody else will check it out as well.

Summer Breeze 5K on 6.21.09, happy with my 24:23 (PR by 35 seconds from 2 weeks earlier).  Happy to finally meet Richard (old-runner).

It was hot (around 75-80 degrees at the start), otherwise I think I could have gone under 24.  Was blown away by Richard like I was standing still at mile 2 while I was huffing and puffing up that longish hill.  I only wish I am still running at 57.