Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 10/25/2010 (Read 251 times)

Congrats to the swift for their nice race times!

So I'm about 1/4 mile away fr the finish, and at this point my stomach does not feel great, I think about what I had for breakfast 2 hours prior (was it that xtra 1/4 portion of cereal), but then I get this clear vision in my mind of a large bowl of "cranberries and granola" that Clive/Cliff consumed prior to his race last year...I start to laugh (my stomach still did not feel great)!

LOL  My breakfast today was a SMALL bowl of Rice Krispies with half a banana, taken 2.25hrs pre-race.  I could still feel it when I got to the race, but it was gone by gun time.  Unofficial time 43:55 (according to the picture my wife took as I stepped on the mat, with the clock's bright display next to me).  Not my best mental effort, but pretty good overall.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Dadgum, Paul.  That's some good running.  What race are you training for again?

Thanks.  Thunder Road Marathon.

Great times at the runway.  Friend of mine (cpaterun in our little group here) ran a 22:23 and said the traffic was bad.  Took him an hour to park.  Wow!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Richard, what elevation did you get on your Garmin?  Mine showed 110' of elevation gain.  People always speak about this course as flat but to me "flat is flat and 110' of elevation gain is not flat (by comparison, the Greek Festival 5k course had 89' of elevation gain according to my Garmin...and Summer Breeze had 102' and that course goes up Queens...never thought this course had that level of elevation gain):

<col style="width: 48pt;" span="3" width="64" />
        Distance Elev Gain Elev Loss
        1.00 66 0
        1.00 38 45
        1.00 6 44
        0.11 0 0
        3.11 110 89

Rob

Tomorrow's run will put me over 200 for the month.  I've never had so many miles before.

Now that it's official: congrats!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Richard, what elevation did you get on your Garmin?  Mine showed 110' of elevation gain.  People always speak about this course as flat but to me "flat is flat and 110' of elevation gain is not flat (by comparison, the Greek Festival 5k course had 89' of elevation gain according to my Garmin...and Summer Breeze had 102' and that course goes up Queens...never thought this course had that level of elevation gain):

1.00 66 0
            1.00 38 45
            1.00 6 44
            0.11 0 0
            3.11 110 89

Here's what I got...

1.00 96 43
            1.00 39 52
            1.00 45 62
            0.11 1 4
            3.11 182 161

So my numbers are completely different. I think the GPS system has a hard time getting really specific on elevation. Did you read that recent article on course measuring called "In GPS We Trust?" It's really interesting...

http://www.hamptonrockfest.com/hamptonhalf-GPS.html

I did notice just a little up and down during the race and on the way home my wife mentioned that she didn't think it was nearly as flat as everybody says.

theyapper

On the road again...

Isn't it crazy how people can run the same course and the elevation profile can be so different?  That's all the evidence you need that you can't put a lot of stock in the elevation details.  I think it will always agree on where there were ups and downs, put how much up and down never seems consistent.

I ran Runway last year and don't remember it being flat as a pancake.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The Garmin is crap for elevation readings.  Once you have your route uploaded, deselect Elevation in the RA map, then re-select it.  RA pulls dta from USGS and it way more accurate than the FR305.

Richard's map is public, and it says +184/-184, total 0 gain/loss.

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

The Garmin is crap for elevation readings.  Once you have your route uploaded, deselect Elevation in the RA map, then re-select it.  RA pulls dta from USGS and it way more accurate than the FR305.

Richard's map is public, and it says +184/-184, total 0 gain/loss.

I'm not sure I'm following that.... When I look at the bottom of the map I'm seeing...

Elevation: +244.4 ft / -228.7 ft / net: 15.8 ft

Where's the +184/-184??

De-select Elevation, then re-select Elevation, then wait a few seconds for it to refresh the data.

-- Dick LeBeau

I see what Clive/Cliff means (you go into your "map", and there is an icon for elevation (far right), once the maps fills, click on that icon, the elevation map goes away, wait a few seconds, then click on the icon again and the elevation map will reset.  Mine has 181' (and I was hugging the cones during the first mile where alot of the elevation gain was).  Thanx for the link to the GPS article (I always noticed that something was "off" when I would run intervals either at the McMullen Greenway or McAlpine where they have markers every 1/4 mile and the GPS was almost always .01 longer for each 1/2 mile).

Rob