Happyfeet 18.1 mi  
    SForrester 15.9 mi  
    alholley 15.7 mi  
    theyapper66  15.3 mi  
    CarolinaBlue 15.2 mi  
    fraggle 11.4 mi  
    atomno2 8.6 mi  
    nanxin 5.1 mi

Not sure of races coming up.  Clive can edit this and add them.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

RUNNER DATE RACE LOCATION DIST GOAL RESULT
      Last week:            
      old-runner 16JUN2012 Rhythm & Run Kannapolis NC 5k   21:48

This week:            
       old-runner  23JUN2012  Summer Breeze  Charlotte NC  5k  sub-22  

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm tempted to run the Summer Breeze, but it's probably just the result of clever marketing and race naming. Wink

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

A little quiet up in here this week.  Everyone ok?

Quite a difference between this morning's run and Monday's.  Temps are up, humidity up, HR up, lots of sweat rolling down.  I'm so glad that the hot days of summer held off until mid June, though.  2 or so months of this beats last year's summer (which seemed to be 5 months long).

Paul

old-runner

A little quiet up in here this week.  Everyone ok?

I'm pretty sure everybody's preoccupied with their _____________________ (fill-in-the-blank) Graded Tables this time of year.

My organized training I've been trying to do is going down the toilet quickly. For the past two days I've cut my runs short. It's hot out there... even for me!

Paul, do you ever do any of those Vac & Dash training runs such as the 2-miler that they do on Wednesday morning? I know you'd have to drive a few miles but it really seems worth it. I'm all kinds of jealous of how great the running community is up in Albemarle and would love to be able to get in on training runs like that.

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, do you ever do any of those Vac & Dash training runs such as the 2-miler that they do on Wednesday morning? I know you'd have to drive a few miles but it really seems worth it. I'm all kinds of jealous of how great the running community is up in Albemarle and would love to be able to get in on training runs like that.

We do have a great running community, and Peter down at V&D has done a fantastic job building it.  I've never done the Wednesday run, and my reason is no better than just preferring to step out my door and run as opposed to getting in the car, driving there, running, and driving home.  That's terrible, too, because it's only 5 minutes or so from my house.

If you ever want to come run it, let me know and I'll meet you there.  Of course, I wouldn't be running WITH you once we started. Wink

Paul

old-runner

We do have a great running community, and Peter down at V&D has done a fantastic job building it.  I've never done the Wednesday run, and my reason is no better than just preferring to step out my door and run as opposed to getting in the car, driving there, running, and driving home.  That's terrible, too, because it's only 5 minutes or so from my house.

If you ever want to come run it, let me know and I'll meet you there.  Of course, I wouldn't be running WITH you once we started. Wink

I'd love to come over there and do some training runs but it's so far away (50+ miles) I'd never do it. I do like to run the races there too though. I've thought about doing the Idiot Run possibly but it's 19 miles, which is a little out of my comfort level. If I ever run 19 miles for a training run I'll probably be training for a full marathon, which I'd rather not even think about, but the Idiot Run sure seems like fun and quite a few of our group from Gaston County Runners did it last year. 

By the way, of course you'd be running WITH me. If you haven't noticed, I run very slowly about 75% of the time at least. It's not unusual for me to churn out a blazing 13-minute mile on an easy day. 

theyapper

On the road again...

I did the Idiot Run last year.  I was HIGHLY undertrained at the time and the last few miles were not surprisingly unpleasant.  If I ever do it again, I'lll make sure I've been running more than 3 or 4 times a month first. Wink

Paul

Anyone else running Summer Breeze (it'll make you feel fine!)?  Or another race?

Anyone want to call Richard on his incredibly soft sub-22:00 goal?  (And Richard, is that in long sleeves or with bare arms?)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Anyone want to call Richard on his incredibly soft sub-22:00 goal?  (And Richard, is that in long sleeves or with bare arms?)

What's soft about sub-22:00? I ran as hard as I could last week and only beat it by 12 seconds. I'm not exactly at a place in my running where I can get a lot faster every week. I'd love to run sub-21 or even sub-20 but I've got to be realistic about it.

Hey, take it as a compliment that we think you're faster than that.

Cool

-- Dick LeBeau

I think when you try to decipher Richard's goal you probably have to figure out how many iterations of grading he is forecasting. His sub 22:00, after one age-grades it, then factors in his wart injury, his overall weight, his propensity to eat right before the race, and the fact that this course is not flat -- it could very well be a sub 16:00 5k for him (I don't think he is planning to eat donuts mid-way as he could chop another 1 min off).

Clive, what happened to you? Your mileage stagnated this week with your run on Monday?

Rob

old-runner

Hey, take it as a compliment that we think you're faster than that.

Cool

Haha... I appreciate your confidence in my ability!

I did manage to run 21:01 so maybe it was a little soft. It's still hard to judge though, especially with the times being within about 60 seconds. My theory is that I'd rather shoot for sub-22 and be semi-thrilled with the 21:01 instead of shooting for sub-21 and then beating myself up over missing it by a second or two. Sub-21 isn't that easy for me these days.

Age graded equivalent time was 16:53 though, so it's nice to get down into the 16's. I couldn't find the wart-graded tables but I've been treating my plantar wart now for a few days with some pads and the results have been good so far. I'm able to run without pain at least.

theyapper

On the road again...

Where do you find age-graded tables?  Are they calculators that adjust your time based on age or actual tables that you sit at when you eat that have higher chairs that make it easier to get in and out of as you grow older?

Big grin

On a serious note, do you have a link to the age-graded tables you use?

Paul

old-runner

Haha... The one I've been using is here...

http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/ageequivalent.cfm

There are others and I'm not sure if they all come up with the same numbers or what, but this one is easy and I just happened to bookmark it. Cliff or Rob probably know more about it than I do. I've seen a few that I haven't wanted to mess with because they look too complicated (I'm a simple guy).