Charlotte, NC area runners

Week ending 10/31 (Read 178 times)

I hope everybody is running really good these days.  No reports otherwise that I've found, except Richard's nice, new running blog. 

I'm still fighting my issues, but the running is going ok.  I'm learning a lot about correcting major cramping issues in my legs and have really learned how important the cool down is for me.  I need some serious cool down time, stretching, and some creative calf manipulation to keep running.  I ain't giving up....I know that much!  The life of a newbie runner!

I'm currently running easy (a la Running Ahead) and trying to build mileage and ran my first 10 miler on Wednesday since my one half marathon this year back in April, so I'm happy with that.  It would have been nice to be able to run more, but you take what you're able to do at the time I guess.  I'll be looking to build to 35 miles or so before Thunder Road.

The YMCA gravel track was calling so I took a break from asphalt and concrete sidewalks (which I really hate) and ran the first 6.5 miles on the half mile track.  While it's still warm enough, I'll enjoy all the soccer players practicing on the infields, while I circle like a buzzard over road kill.  These guys play in what's basically darkness, with only the lights of the parking lots to illuminte the fields.  I don't run with headphones, so it's nice to hear voices while running.  I remember how quiet the track is in the winter and that's kind of depressing.  I finished inside on the treadmill just to see what those are like.  3.5 miles while the World Series was on, so it wasn't all bad.  There were a few more nice sights inside too, but I'll stop there.

I'll be running a few more base building weeks, then start some faster stuff just for the fun of it, before the Turkey Trot.  I doubt I need it, but that's what I enjoy.  The shorter and faster, the better I like it.  Nobody runs 40 yard dashes anymore except football players.  Anyway...that's where I'm at for now.

L

under a rock

I'm making progress, it's slow but I'll take what I can get. I've been doing as much trail running as I can fit into my week, some weeks it's one day and others it's 2 days. I love that I can go so much longer on trails than on asphalt without feeling any tightness in my IT band. I did three miles on asphalt monday and felt some tightness flair up, but I did 5.75 mi on trails on friday and had absolutely no problems with my ITband.

I'm signed up for the Rumble in the Woods 10k at Lake Norman on the 14th. I'm considering an 11k next weekend at Paris Mt in Greenville. I'm also considering the Run at The Rock in Burlington on Dec 5.

old-runner

Hey Lynwood and Ashley... Glad to see you're both hanging in there and working through the issues. I guess that's the life of a runner!

Thanks for mentioning my blog Lynwood. I just switched over from Blogger to WordPress and it was a pretty big move, with the worst part being that all of the Google links were lost from the old website and as I write this the site still hasn't been indexed by Google. No big deal I guess, but it's nice to get a few readers in there.

If you haven't seen the blog yet be sure and take a look. I've got a big picture of me from June 2008 -- 50 pounds ago -- not pretty by a long shot, but it really tells the story!

The Runway 5k was spectacular this morning... wish everybody could have made it. Last year there were I think about 350 finishers. This year there were 1,343! The weather was perfect for a PR and I ran my fastest 5k ever -- 20:27 -- first time ever under 21 minutes!

Next week for me is the Vulcan Run 10k in Birmingham, Alabama, which is the third race in the Running Journal Grand Prix series. Yee-haw!

under a rock

Awesome time Richard! Congrats!

I'll have to go have a peek at your picture on your blog. I can't imagine you 50lbs heavier.

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey guys!  I've been running, but sparse on these forums.  I saw Richard at the Runway 5k today, but sorry I didn't get to speak to you.  I was running with a friend in his first 5k.  We had a blast and finished in 26:43 - he was tired, I felt great.  I only wish I could have run by myself - it was such a perfect day and flat course and I know I could have PRed if I'd had the chance.

Oh well.  Still a great race!  Congrats on the time, Richard.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Awesome time Richard! Congrats!

I'll have to go have a peek at your picture on your blog. I can't imagine you 50lbs heavier.

Haha... so I guessed you looked but then you didn't say anything.  Kinda sad huh? I'm kind of torn between leaving the fat picture there or taking it down so everybody thinks I've been a lean, mean, running machine my whole life (or at least a skinny one).

under a rock

I actually just got a chance to have a look. Wow, I would not have recognized you! The lean running machine look suits you best!

Great PR Richard.  I figured you would on that course.  I think I'll run that next year, as that sounds like fun.  I saw your pictures.  I just weighed  myself Wednesday night and was exactly where you are in the "before" picture.  I was wondering if I could get to sub 21 if I lost some weight too! 

old-runner

Hey Lynwood... I just switched back to my old Blogspot blog so now the picture's gone. Maybe I'll put it up on that one too when I get time. It kind of freaks me out though to be honest.

You mean geographically where was I in the "before" picture? We were on vacation out West visiting my son and that was picture was taken somewhere around Tucson, Arizona. That was the week before we started WeightWatchers.

I think you actually might be able to run a sub-21 5k if you lose some weight. You're not that big but every pound makes a difference, within reason of course. I don't know how much weight you have to spare, but imagine if you lost 20 pounds what a difference it would make. When I started WeightWatchers my original goal was to lose 23 pounds -- going from 193 to 170. That seemed almost impossible at that time, but I managed to get to 143 instead and it really wasn't that hard with all the running. I just had to try to eat decently. I still have a hard time with that because I love to eat but I'm able to control myself a little better these days.