Happyfeet 22 mi 3:21:05
    rossruns 15.6 mi 2:26:43
    jdbrown 13.7 mi 2:05:00
    Lpadg 12 mi 1:48:52
    theyapper66 10.6 mi 1:49:53

Last weeks' race results:

[none posted!]

This week's planned races:

• old-runner -- 17DEC2011 -- Columbia HM (Columbia SC) -- Goal = beat Dick Beardsley

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Hey good... we're back online! I thought maybe I got left out of the rapture or something!

Not exactly NO races... you can always count on me. I ran the 5k out at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Broke my string of sub-21 minute 5k's by finishing in 21:08.

They endeared themselves to me by giving 1 award in 10-year age groups, so officially I didn't place and finished 2nd out of 40 people in the 50-59 age group. I was 22nd overall out of 625 runners though and 4th overall on an age-graded basis so that was good. 

http://results.active.com/pages/page.jsp?eventID=1969573

This week I'll be South of the Border in Columbia, SC, running the Columbia Half Marathon. Goal is to beat Dick Beardsley, who is now in my age group. Not likely but I'll be on the lookout for him and hopefully give him a run for his money.

old-runner

I was going to create a new thread for this but since there's one for this week I'll just add it here...

This week there are two McAdenville Lights runs. I'll be at both of them and everybody's welcome to come and bring family and friends. Both should be low-key easy runs. I don't remember exactly but I think it's something like 2.5 or 3 miles out and back through McAdenville.

Both nights people are meeting in the Food Lion parking lot (uh, I think it's Food Lion) on Wilkinson Boulevard just across from the US Hwy 74 entrance to McAdenville, over in back of Burger King. Afterwards we're planning on eating at one of those little restaurants over there (not sure which).

Wednesday -- 7:00 p.m. -- Cleveland County Runners.

Thursday -- 6:00 p.m. -- Gaston County Runners

There's quite a bit of overlap between the two groups and some of the same people will be at both. Linda and I are running Wednesday night. On Thursday my daughter's coming in from NYC on a quick business trip (just here 24 hours) and we'll come to eat afterwards but not for the run. She's somewhat of a runner too (she was the one who got me started 3 years ago) but she's expecting a baby in March so she's out of running mode at the moment. I'm hoping she can meet some of the runners I know though so come on out if you can.

Cliff/Clive,

thanx for your efforts in terms of taking over and putting together the weekly mileage results. In this position, you know you can award the vaunted gold star each week to the mileage leader (and also a blue ribbon to an outstanding performance or even the dunce cap)!

Richard,

is your run over 21 minutes a blip or a trend? How was Hawaii? I would have thought we would have heard word of the "haole ringer from the mainland who wore 3 layers" in the 5k race you ran out there? Thanx for the invite. Will you be able to fight off that strong lure of that Burger King given your taste for fast food?

Rob

old-runner

Richard,

is your run over 21 minutes a blip or a trend? How was Hawaii? I would have thought we would have heard word of the "haole ringer from the mainland who wore 3 layers" in the 5k race you ran out there? Thanx for the invite. Will you be able to fight off that strong lure of that Burger King given your taste for fast food?

I'm hoping it's a blip but my diet's been a disaster lately. Gotta get control of that and bypass the Burger King if possible.

Somebody did ask me if I was a "ringer from the mainland," which I thought was funny. And for the record, I wore summer running clothes in Hawaii. First time my legs had seen sunshine in a while but nobody laughed, at least to my face.

2011 SAM 5k Finish - Honolulu

Richard, good luck against Beardsley.  I'm glad you get another chance.  I've been fighting a quad/knee issue so I've been taking it easy to recover.  I think two races back to back, then a hard weekend run got me, as I probably didn't recover properly.  Even running light, I ran my Monday Run at a PR training pace on Monday so all is well.  I should be good to go in a week I think.  Mentally, I was ready for a small break anyway.

Richard,

Is that really you in that picture you posted...I don't really recognize you, a singlet and shorts? Good luck this weekend in the Half? How did the runs through McAdenville go (big crowd?)?

Lynwood,

didn't know that your now fighting a quad/knee issue (was it similar to mine where the muscle contracted, pulled on the tendon and you felt it your knee)? Are you going to back out there next wk (I ran last wk Tue, big crowd w/abt 35 runners and Wed, abt 12 runners, and on Wed when we leave we all instinctively look up at the entrance to see if your finishing up assuming you may have showed up late!).

Rob

old-runner

Lynwood... Yep, this is probably a good time for a break. I think most normal people take a break this time of year. I'm actually thinking about it myself... maybe skip several weekends of racing as much as I hate the cold weather.

Speaking of the cold weather, uh, yeah that's me in the singlet and shorts. That's pretty much what I wear in warm weather. Under 60 degrees is where I start looking like an Eskimo.

old-runner

So Dick Beardsley heard I was gonna be there and he chickened out, so I guess I win by forfeit. I did manage to win my age group and finished 18th overall with a time of 1:33:34. Very happy with that because I thought with the 5 pounds I've gained lately would slow me down to the 1:40 range. 

Way to run Richard.  Congratulations. 

Rob, I briefly mentioned it the Wednesday before, but kept running on it.  Yeah, it's the same thing.  Quads got too tight, and pulled on the muscles / tendons in the knee area, until my whole knee was sore.  What got me most was the top and the inside quad area.  I didn't stretch and roll enough there.   Nothing serious, and it's much better now.  Lesson learned and something I'll watch closer after hard running. 

I might show Wednesday but not sure yet.  Glad to hear the crowds were good.  Most of the Tuesday crew runs Monday I think, as I had about 34 also.  I finally got the Monday course marked again, but I'll bet there will still be people getting lost even with the directions in their hands.