Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 4/27 (Read 216 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Greetings! Hope everyone had a great week-end of racing - be sure to drop a report in the appropriate thread so we can read all about them. I started the week off early this morning with a nice easy 4.5 mile run. Cool temps before the sun rose. Smile

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I did an easy 4.75 today. I warmed up running to the Y at a nice, easy pace, then I ran on the treadmill. I've never done that before but it definitely felt easier on my legs. I also ran slow enough to keep my heart rate below 140. I've never monitored that either, though I don't know how accurate the treadmill monitor is. It's interesting to note that I ran that distance and now can't tell I ran at all tonight.
      theyapper

On the road again...

Running with the HR down really does make easy runs a lot easier. I think you'll love the results if you keep that up. Got in 4.6 before the sun got up. Very cool at that time of day. Big grin

Paul

With the weather heating up and me getting some sniffles, haven't been running much, and not checking in here often. hoping to run the Mt Holly 5k this weekend or maybe another 5K May 9th, whose name escapes me right now
          old-runner

I just did an easy 4 miles at the Gastonia Greenway as I'm tapering down this week for Sunday's New Jersey Marathon (eek!). I'm a little scared about it but I'm itchin' to get going. Everybody's probably tired of hearing it except me, but once again I had a 5k PR at this past Saturday's CPCC Skyline Run -- 21:41 -- a 7-minute pace! I was a little surprised because I can't run that fast any other time, but when the race starts I've just got all these people in back of me trying to catch up and I hate when that happens so I just keep going. Hey Shashi (HMHopeful) -- are you from Gastonia? I saw on your course list you ran some in Jefferson Woods. I live in the development on the other side of Redbud (Gardner Woods). If you're in Jefferson Woods we ought to get together and run sometime. Wish I could run that 5k in Mount Holly next week but it's the day before the marathon and I'm heading to NJ then. There's a big 5k coming up on May 8th -- the Twilight 5k -- it's a Friday night and I think goes through downtown Charlotte mostly. It's a RFYL Grand Prix race.
            theyapper

On the road again...

Richard - Congrats on another PR. I don't get tired of hearing about them, but it does make me even more anxious to race. I will be glad when this LHR base building is over. It's really working, though. Started running in the upper 13s for m/m and am now in the mid 12s. That's over a minute off the pace and I'm only halfway through. My goal is to be in the 11s when I'm done, which will hopefully correlate into a 5k pace of around 8:00 m/m.

Paul

old-runner

Good luck on the LHR training. I looked into it a while back about the time you started but I'm just too impatient to run like that, although if you can stick with it you'll probably be amazing.
                  Congratulations Richard. That is really amazing, and it shows how hard you've worked at running. You obviously have a lot of running potential, but it's also clear how much time and distance you've put into this. More inspiration for me. I now see the benefit of running a lot more miles at a pace that is not destructive. My next race it probably the 2009 King Tiger 5K at University City, whatever that means. One of my Thursday night runner friends said she was recruited to be the "unofficial" race director and is asking us to run it and talk others into running it. June 6th. We'll see if you guys have totally rubbed off on me. I will try for 23:59.
                  theyapper

On the road again...

Good luck on the LHR training. I looked into it a while back about the time you started but I'm just too impatient to run like that, although if you can stick with it you'll probably be amazing.
                    Patience and discipline are key. I've struggled with them both but now it seems the struggle is paying off.

Paul

old-runner

My next race it probably the 2009 King Tiger 5K at University City, whatever that means. One of my Thursday night runner friends said she was recruited to be the "unofficial" race director and is asking us to run it and talk others into running it. June 6th.
                      That's one I'm planning on for sure. It's the 4th race in the Grand Prix and it's a double points race so everybody working on Grand Prix points is going to run it. There were about 500 finishers in last year's race, so it's pretty big. It's at the University City Run for Your Life store and the "King Tiger" name come from King Tiger Tae Kwon Do, who apparently is the main sponsor. Lynwood... give me a nudge if you see me there... I might not recognize you in the midst of all those people even though we met for just a minute at the Corporate Cup. You thirty-somethings tend to blend in better than us old fartlek runners.