Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 30JUL-05AUG2012 (Read 146 times)

As we get ready to close out July 2012:

Pete.Hu 67.9 mi
    nanxin 58.2 mi
    CarolinaBlue 40.6 mi
    Happyfeet 39.9 mi
    CliveF 36.6 mi
    amlinz 30.2 mi
    Lpadg 26.8 mi
    ChakaKahn 22 mi
    old-runner 21.5 mi
    theyapper66 20 mi
    fraggle 15.4 mi
    SForrester 13 mi
    atomno2 4 mi

Here's how we race when it's ultra-hot out:

RUNNER DATE RACE LOCATION DIST GOAL RESULT
    Last week:            
    Nothing!            

This week:            
    old-runner 05AUG2012 Bash Color Dash Mooresville NC 5k    

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm happy to have hit 20 miles (it's been a long time).

I'm sorry it didn't move me further up the ladder. Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

I see that I'm already listed for the Bash Color Dash this weekend! Thank you for your sleuthfullness Mr. Fenster! I think I'll probably run it but I'm not entirely sure at this point. Still having a hard time running with any speed without the hammy acting up so I might rest it for another week. 

Lynwood,

how was the hot yoga session after the run (how hot was the room & how long did it go)? I can't imagine doing that after slogging out 7.65mi in the 91 degree heat tonite. Also, according to Section 4, subsection (c) of the Charlotte, NC Area Runners Rules of Conduct, "...and all such runners, who sign up with the group, shall log all runs of at least 1 mile, regardless of whether jeans are worn, log all swims of at least 500 yards, log all bicycle rides of at least 5 miles, denote all health maladies (no matter the detail) and log any yoga sessions". You'll note that Clive is fastidious about adhering to these rules/standards and especially the yoga clause.

Rob

Fastidious, OCD -- whatevs.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Man, I didn't realize I had to log my hot yoga activities. It turned out to be great actually, though I was desperately trying to find a drink before the class started. I ended up feeling like I had crossed the Sahara but my legs felt great afterwards. Though I felt like I might have looked like Bill Murray in a comic movie scene of him in a class full of Yoga masters, I did ok. I was even told it looked like I was good at it. Unfortunately, that compliment came from Adam and not any of the females. Honestly, it helped so much I would try it again.

By way of explanation and not in the slightest because I feel defensive ... I work with a coach who's not local.  I log how I felt, including any physical maladies, as well as extra-curricular activities so he can log-stalk and see how things are going without having to email me and wait for a reply.  My log entries otherwise wouldn't be nearly that detailed.

So far as you know.

-- Dick LeBeau

Lynwood,

there were a couple days a month ago where after I ran in the heat, I went to the Y to lift and the a/c was not working in certain sections of the gym, and I was really struggling in those areas. I can't imagine how you could feel that good afterwards. So for the next Wed nite run I guess I should tell everyone (except Adam) not to show up so that you and he have some quality time to run together?

Cliff,

you could have just blamed your alter-ego Clive w/out making up an elaborate excuse about your non-local Coach....by invoking the "not in the slightest because I feel defensive"....by Judge Judy standards you are guilty of being defensive.

Rob

heh.  He's not my type. 

I rushed into the grocery store and bought a case of some kind of flavored, vitamin water, as that was the only thing I could find.  Downed one, and took one to the class.  Of course the yoga place had water to sell, but I had no idea what to expect.  The room had heaters going when I walked in, and I was told it was around 100 degrees.  The class lasted about 1:15, but the last 15, we did the Zen mode stuff and chilled.  I would prefer about 20 minutes shorter if my opinion counted.  It doesn't.  I wasn't the only one wanting a shorter class.  If we hadn't just run almost 8 miles, it wouldn't be so bad.

I'm gonna try it again next Wednesday if they all go.  It seriously helped my leg issue.  I want to see if it works again.

Lynwood,

the flasher struck AGAIN....at the HarrisY park/track yesterday! How do you "chill" in 100 degree indoor heat!

As a group, we should do a group run/meeting over in Gastonia -- I hear there are some paved running trails in the newly re-opened Rankin Lake Park. Very scenic. I'm sure this will become a staple run for the GCR in the very near future. We just need to get Clive to work on getting those shirts and shorts for the group, but as Richard and Shashi will attest, they need to be in Kevlar if we're going to run along the trails at Rankin as there are two shooting ranges adjacent to the trails (only in Gastonia!). Richard, I would think in your condition you would need to avoid Rankin since if your running there and the shooting starts, you would have to pick up the pace and thus risk re-injury to your hamstring (assuming you don't get shot as your trying to get out of range)?

Rob

Ha, in defense of the city they did close down the shooting range to evaluate safety, so a run there in the next couple of weeks should be perfectly safe.
                        old-runner

Is there a new paved trail at Rankin Lake Park?? I need to go over and check it out. I haven't been over there in years. Last time I saw the park it was a mess but that was probably more than 10 years ago. 

That would be great if you guys would come over and run sometime in Gaston County. Let us know when and we might get a whole group together. We've got a lot more people running than we used to. Of course it's not Charlotte, but it's pretty good for Gaston County.

By the way, I think my hamstring issue is under control... not hurting at all anymore although the piriformis is still a bit of a problem. I didn't race this weekend after all. Busy weekend for the family. My daughter, who lives in New York, came down for a book signing for her book that was just released and about a thousand people showed up! It was fun but the whole thing was exhausting. She left about noon today and we came home and slept long enough to talk ourselves out of that Sunday evening race in Mooresville (who the heck has a race on Sunday night anyway?).