Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 12/20/2010 (Read 212 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Last week was a good one for many of us.  Highlights that could be blue ribbon worthy: Chaka put in over 70 miles and Clive taking a huge chunk out of his 5k PR and coming within 17 seconds of going sub-20.

Drumroll please....

Blue ribbon goes to Clive.  Nice effort!

Oh, and the totals from last week, along with Mike's gold star:

NameDistance ▼Time
    ChakaKahn 70.8 Mi 8:47:28
    CarolinaBlue 50 Mi 6:38:04
    CliveFenster 37.5 Mi 5:23:20
    Docster 35.4 Mi 4:53:53
    Happyfeet 34.6 Mi 5:28:00
    old-runner 25 Mi 3:57:16
    runslikeafraggle 16.9 Mi 3:15:08
    theyapper66  13.2 Mi 2:14:20
    cpaterun 5 Mi 50:06
    alholley 3.7 Mi 38:00

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

I kicked my week off with 5 miles, 3 tempo miles in between warmup and cool down.

Paul

Well, thank you for the ribbon.  I do try to represent.

Still plugging away on the base-building.  Going for 50mi or so this week.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive, what if any marathons are you planning?  Want to see if we can resurrect the Gastonia Long run in the new year.  Will be nice if we are running some similar schedule, I'll be trying the Lydiard plan with the peak miles occurring in March/April, and then some hills(crowders mtn?)/speed in May/June for my July 10 race.

I don't think I'm running another marathon until fall 2011 -- probably TCM again, but Wineglass and Baystate are on the radar, too.

For spring 2011, I *think* I'm going to focus on the 10k-10mi distance.  I'll run some 5k's, sure, but I'm a little more interested in the slightly longer races.  Right now, anyway.

Either way, the Gastonia Long-Run Gang should make a lengthy  reunion tour.  Maybe we could alternate locations, doing every other Sunday in Charlotte?  That might draw out Lynwood and some of the other folks on here.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Count me in on the Gastonia long runs too. I don't think I'll go over 15 miles since I'm not running any races longer than a half marathon. I'd go for the half and half between Gastonia and Charlotte. Maybe Shashi and I could carpool.

If any of you Charlotte folks are interested in a long run this week, we've got a run starting at the Stowe YMCA in Belmont at 6:30 a.m. on Christmas Eve morning. Heather Vellers is organizing it. Shashi already said he'd be there and I will too. Several other runners that I invited on Facebook said they'd be there too. There will be three pace groups... 8:00, 9:00, and 10:00+. If you're not doing anything else and want to get your run in early please join us... the more the merrier!

I don't think I'll run very many single runs over 15 miles this year, may stretch a couple of them to 17-18.  Most likely I'll add on a 5 miler later in the evening or run 7-8 the previous evening to learn running on tired legs.  The only reason I am going to run a marathon in 2011 is to get the sub 4 monkey off my back.  My mileage is not likely to let me have an enjoyable marathon experience.  I agree to most of this Running Times article   The Marathon: A Race Too Far?

Richard, Just to clarify, that run is going to be Friday morning, right?

I'm definitely ready to join the Gastonia Long-Run Gang.  I'm still bragging about my one and only 15 mile run from the last time.  It's kind of embarrassing that it's my longest run so far, and the only time I've run 13 miles is the four half's I've run.  Especially with all you fast running, long distance runners.  I'm usually contending with childcare on the weekends, but definitely will try to make some runs. 

Richard, I wish I was off work to run.  I will be working then, and Monday and Tuesday also.  Sounds like a great run.

Lynwood,

working Fri AND Mon AND Tue.  Did not now that you Southern New Yorkers have such an incredible work ethic!  Hadn't seen you here for a while so I though you got lost in Concord again where you lived for three years & they filed a missing persons report on you.  Good to see you back!  How is the turn-out going now for the Charlotte Meet-Up runs that you chaperone?

Rob

theyapper

On the road again...

Well, I would love to take part in some long runs, but I'm pretty sure I'm the farthest away from all of you, so it might be every now and then.  I'll watch for details.

4 mile run this morning put me over 1500 for the year.  Next year I'm hoping to top 2k.

Paul

Yep, Rob, that ol' NY work ethic has been driven into my psyche!  I'm just trying to keep the Wells Fargo doors open.  ha  Actually I messed up my own paid time off, so I have nobody to blame but myself.  I did get off early today, so I plan on going out for a longer run this afternoon.  Maybe 8 - 12 miles.  I've decided to run the Ocean Isle Beach Half coming up mid January, with some of my running group, so I better "get on it" again. 

The group runs have been going good.  Adrian showed up this week.  Where are you Adrian?  We've had 8 people total, for the Monday runs the last two weeks.  In warmer weather we averaged 15 - 20.  I ran with the Wednesday group also this week, and we had 8 again, then went to Lebowski's for some good Buffalo, NY style food.  Instead of my favorite "beef on weck", I went for Eastern NC style barbecue.  Imagine that. 

Did Lebowski's also transport the Anchor Bar?  Beef on weck...did you pile on the horseradish?  Now that is something only someone who has been in Buffalo could only know!  Does Lebowski's also offer "sliders" (I'm talking the original ones that anyone from Binghamton would recognize)? I wanted to join some of your runs but this weekend suffered a set-back that was very much precipitated by the fall I took at Santa Scramble.

Richard - how was your long run this morning? Good turnout? I was driving to the airport at 8am and it was 25 degrees so it must have been a good 5 degrees cooler when you started at 6:30am!

Rob

Tavern on the Tracks off of Tryon near the pink building also has them. The owners are from NY.  I did try one in NY that was great. You gotta have some horseradish to make it right.  They do have sliders at Lebowski's but I don't know how good they are. I'll have to try em sometime.  I'll ask about the Anchor Bar to see how authentic they are.

I hope you heal quickly.

old-runner

Richard - how was your long run this morning? Good turnout? I was driving to the airport at 8am and it was 25 degrees so it must have been a good 5 degrees cooler when you started at 6:30am!

Thanks for asking... The run was great. Shashi and I ran with several others at a 9:00 pace for 10 miles and some other people ran 12-15 miles at an 8-minute pace. As much as I hate cold weather, it really wasn't bad at all after we got going although my mouth froze up somewhat and I wasn't able to talk as much... something the others appreciated more than me!

We're doing the same thing next Friday morning, January 31st, so if anybody can join us come on over. It's just a hop and a skip from Charlotte. We might have a harder time getting a group together that day since it'll probably be a workday for more people, but I'll be there and two or three others said they would be there too.