Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 8/16/2010 (Read 173 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

During my marathon training last year, I always took walk breaks every 2 miles because I knew I was going to walk through the water stops during the race.  This time around, I just walk when I feel like I need to, which means every long run usually has some walk breaks sprinkled in.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

It's funny Richard thinks I might mind taking walk breaks, I was the one dying last Sunday.  I usually don't have to take a walk break when I run by myself as I slow down to a manageable pace when I have this desire to stop.  I sure don't have anything against taking walk breaks, it's when I take a longer break that legs get so stiff, that starting back up is unpleasant, and I'd rather keep moving.

All I am trying to do right now in preparation for my marathon is 2:30-2:40 duration long run, have to get comfortable running for that  long before I attempt any 20 milers.  I strongly believe that the weekly mileage (some of them at not so easy pace)  matters more than running those 20 milers and pushing myself anymore on the long run will affect my runs the following week.

On this week's runs in the 80*-85* heat and 95%-100% humidity (I don't want to know what the heat index works out to), I've had to take walk breaks to control body temperature/overheating.  Running on the beach helped, as I usually had some breeze there.  Still, my shoes are so soaked by 3mi that they squish when I run.  Part of that is water running down from my wetted shirt, but it's not like I'm using a dunk tank.

I'm running Columbus on the 29th; just got an email from them saying that due to the forecast (for hot and humid weather), they'll be providing chilled sponges at miles 6 and 12. Crap.  I was hoping to catch some cooler weather up there.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau