Lpadg 17.6 mi
    theyapper66 15.4 mi
    CarolinaBlue 11.8 mi
    jdbrown 8.5 mi
    fraggle 7 mi
    alholley 4.1 mi

Last week's race results:

Lpadg --11MAY2012 -- Twilight 5K (Charlotte NC)  RESULT = 23:09

CliveF -- 12MAY2012 -- Run Wild 5k (Huntersville NC) -- Goal = sub-20.  RESULT = 19:44

old-runner -- 12MAY2012 -- Beach Blast 5k (Albemarle NC) -- Goal = sub-22.  RESULT = 20:58

Upcoming races:

CliveF -- 20MAY2012 -- Biltmore-Kiwanis Classic 15k (Asheville NC) -- Goal = sub-65min.  RESULT = 1:04:18

old-runner -- 20MAY2012 -- Brooklyn HM (New York NY) -- Goal = (1) beat amlinz on WAVA basis; (2) top-ten AG.  RESULT = 1:34:00 (77.88%), 6AG.

amlinz -- 20MAY2012 -- Brooklyn HM (New York NY) -- Goal = beat old-runner on WAVA basis.  RESULT = 1:14:15 (82.45%)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Not chasing the digits this year.  Speed until June, then start over with another cycle with longer running until Oct.

Not chasing the digits this year.  Speed until June, then start over with another cycle with longer running until Oct.

HF, I like the short-term speed focus.  Are the planned workouts via the Belmont-Abbey coach or elsewhere?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

The planned workouts were from another plan that I was going to do (competitor advanced 5K plan), but then something better( that I can do with a group) came along.  I am following the coaches plan which is on paper (actually in email) right now.  This plan calls for 5K pace intervals of varying times (2:30 to 8 min) on Tuesdays, a Thursday Tempo (e.g 20 min at 5K pace + 30-60 sec), longer 5K paced intervals or a 5K race on Sat and a longish run of 60-70  min on Sunday, plus very easy 30 min or off on other days.

I think I am seeing improvement with this approach, even though I was skeptical of my ability to do 3 faster workouts and a long run. 3 weeks into the plan feel fine so far, hitting my planned paces.  Want to see if I can improve my 2 year old 5K PR, which I feel is fairly soft right now.  Hence the need to test out the training with a race or two in June .

Do I win anything for most use of parenthesis in a post?

That training sounds almost FIRST-like -- perhaps just not in all upper-case.

(And maybe you'd win a silver or bronze, but I am the gold medalist when it comes to parentheticals.)

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Happyfeet... Are you referring to the Belmont Abbey speed work we've been doing? Is that the main plan you're working with? I do believe if you'd stick with it for a while and just concentrate on running a fast 5k you'd probably smash your old 5k PR. 

Put me down for the Brooklyn Half Marathon this coming Saturday, and put amlinz (Aaron Linz) down for it too. He threw down the gauntlet to me on Facebook and said he looked forward to racing me and wants to beat me on an age-graded basis, so my two goals for the race are to finish in the Top 10 in the 60-64 age group and beat amlinz on an age-graded basis. Just for the record I think the Top 10 will be easier than beating amlinz but it'll be fun trying. I think I'm usually around 75-77% and he's in the neighborhood of 78-82%. Those numbers aren't likely to change drastically unless one of us has a bad race for some reason.

I've had a little bit of a cold for the past couple days but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse so I think I'll be in pretty good shape. I've been looking forward to the Brooklyn HM. They accepted 15,000 registrations this year and filled up in 11 hours. 

The planned workouts were from another plan that I was going to do (competitor advanced 5K plan), but then something better( that I can do with a group) came along.  I am following the coaches plan which is on paper (actually in email) right now.  This plan calls for 5K pace intervals of varying times (2:30 to 8 min) on Tuesdays, a Thursday Tempo (e.g 20 min at 5K pace + 30-60 sec), longer 5K paced intervals or a 5K race on Sat and a longish run of 60-70  min on Sunday, plus very easy 30 min or off on other days.

Everyone's different, but you might think about folding in some strides after easy runs.  (Well, and ditching the SAT workout, but that's just my preference.  Seems like a lot of harder running packed into seven days.)

-- Dick LeBeau

Richard, Yes I am mainly working with Coach DeWitt's plan with some added hills and longer easy workouts (got to satisfy that mileage OCD a bit).  I may be able to hit the paces prescribed by the coach if don't go off the reservation so often.  Still faster than 5K pace is not something I want to do so often.  Maybe younger college kids can do that and still recover, but probably not me.

This workout scares me

Sat 5/20 12-15 minutes easy… then 2.5 miles (4k) at or near 5k goal pace… 10 minutes easy cool down

Richard,

congrats (belatedly) on winning your AG and breaking 21.

Clive/Cliff,

super congrats on breaking 20! Nice break-through run. Were you wearing your "short shorts" along with the compression socks (and father's singlet that still looks to big on you)? No snide remarks about your gear pre-run? Good luck with the race this weekend (how hilly is it given its going to be in the Biltmore area of Asheville?).

Rob

Clive/Cliff,

super congrats on breaking 20! Nice break-through run. Were you wearing your "short shorts" along with the compression socks (and father's singlet that still looks to big on you)? No snide remarks about your gear pre-run? Good luck with the race this weekend (how hilly is it given its going to be in the Biltmore area of Asheville?).

Clive having too much fun for 4600m into a 5k:

Clive having too much fun for 4600m into a 5k

Photographic evidence that I beat Ms. Levie and Mr. Massingale:

And ... not too hilly.  Surprised

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Clive... Was that big grin because you ran in back of Ms. Levie for 3.05 miles? Looks like that would have been fun. I would have tried but I couldn't keep up with her. 

I think she went out with the big girls and died back to us.  Kind of the same as when I ran on this course back in JAN 2011, it strung out early and then there wasn't much passing.  I ran with Bryan (my unsmiling friend in the first picture) the entire race, and we slowly reeled in that woman and a triathlete guy who was coming back to us, but we ran out of road before we caught him.

-- Dick LeBeau

Cliff/Clive,

what happened to the compression socks??? Is the experiment over? In the pic that your grinning/smiling, I had a very different interpretation than Richard -- my very first thought was that smile/gring is the same smile/grin a 2 yr old makes when doing a BM in their diapers (is that why you wore black shorts)? You have good/solid form btw at that point in the race (the guy next to -- he has lost his form). The singlet is a huge improvement over what you wore at the Tar Heel 10 miler (but it looks like a pajama top design?)?

Rob

The compression sleeves have become something of a "woobie" for me now -- I think the Achilles is essentially healed, but there's something about having the sleeve on that comforts me.  For the race, I decided to run calf-naked.

And as for the singlet, the Skullcrusher is a limited edition from Anthony Famiglietti's Reckless Running company.

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice.

Had a relaxing progression run this morning.  Light misting drizzle and overcast conditions kept it cool.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul