Charlotte, NC area runners

First half marathon report (Read 130 times)

under a rock

I ran my first half marathon Saturday at the Xterra Thrill in the Hills at Fort Yargo State Park in Winder, Ga

Quick report:

Time goal: 2:30 (super secret goal 2:15)

Official time: 2:14:44

AG 35-39: 9/27

Overall: 222/390

The race went well considering after mile 8 my IT band decided to flare up and cause pain on the side of my left knee. I had planned on kicking it into race mode around that time and this development was a hindrance to that plan. I came up with a plan of walking the hills and running as fast as possible in between hills, running slow bothered it as much as the hills. I had to stop and stretch at least 5 times in miles 9 through 13, two times in the last mile. I probably lost about 5 mins due to the walking and stretching. It was so frustrating because stamina wise I was fine, had lots left in my legs and lungs. Hopefully next time I'll get it right. I really can't complain about my time considering I made my super secret goal even with the problem that was thrown my way.

The side of my knee is very sore today. I'll be taking at least a week off and then cutting my mileage in half once I can run again. I see a lot of swimming in my future for the next week or two. I hope I can get this nipped in the bud really quick. I blame my IT band problems this time on too much time on the treadmill and roads the past three weeks.

full blog report here

Congratulations Ashley.  Sorry to hear the IT Band flared up, but a great time for you anyway!   I know the roads are definitely a big problem for me too.
        Great race Ashley, especially considering it was a trail Race and the IT band flare up.  Hope that ITB issue gets better soon.

MTA - Lately I've been running too much on the treadmill as well and developed a nasty habit of kicking the insides of my ankles whenever I speed up, so I hope to avoid those treadmills as much as possible, but running in the cold r is no fun for me.

under a rock

Thanks guys! I feel so proud of myself right now and so angry at my body. Luckily this morning the side of my knee is significantly less sore. So I'm hoping a week of rest will allow me to get back to running on Sunday and get back on track as quickly as possible.

under a rock

MTA - Lately I've been running too much on the treadmill as well and developed a nasty habit of kicking the insides of my ankles whenever I speed up, so I hope to avoid those treadmills as much as possible, but running in the cold r is no fun for me.

I do the same thing but it's just my left foot hitting my right ankle and doing it enough to make it bleed. (stupid left leg)  Secretly I'm happy I don't need to run this week with the temps still being below normal.

I do worse that ya'll on the treadmills.  I just go flying off the back much to the delight of Y members.  I'm getting better though, I swear it.