Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 9/6/2010 (Read 201 times)

Ashley: I used to run the davidson XC course with a friend.  I had my FR305, and he used the NikePlus unit.  He always had us going longer than my GPS said, too.  Can't imagine doing long runs on the trails, though -- you rule!

20 this morning for me.  Started out feeling easy, turned ugly about 15-16 miles in and stayed that way to the finish.  Running is stupid.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Lynnwood, 19 miles at whitewater is mentally tough. The trails tend to get pretty boring but I wanted to go somewhere that I could hit the trails as soon as the sun was up and that is the only option. My 20 miler will be on the Ridgeline trail of Kings Mtn and with company. I would say 11 miles is a good estimate for mileage, it's so hard to say since GPS doesn't measure accurately in the dense leaf cover. I think most of my runs are probably longer than what I log since GPS is usually 5% rate of error on the short side on heavily wooded and technical trails.  Evenings at whitewater are crazy! I've only gone there once that late and was surprised. Running in the mornings it's pretty quiet there. Usually I don't see any many bikers until around 8am but by 10am it's pretty crowded but I'm usually nearly done by then. Lots of reports from friends of turtle on the trail this week with no snake reports.

I'd prefer the Kings Mtn 16 mile loop with doubling back to the Browns mountain spur from the Park Office.  Makes an even 20 miler, although the National park doesn't  open until  9:00 you can park at the State park entrance (near the camp ground (for a 2 dollar fee)

Richard, I had other commitments for the weekend, hence the short long run (heh) on Saturday, and no run Sunday.  Need to step it up if I want to avoid major suffering at my marathon.  16-18 miles planned this Saturday or Sunday.

under a rock

I'd prefer the Kings Mtn 16 mile loop with doubling back to the Browns mountain spur from the Park Office.  Makes an even 20 miler, although the National park doesn't  open until  9:00 you can park at the State park entrance (near the camp ground (for a 2 dollar fee)

I love the loop but we also love doing the Ridgeline trail from the boulders access parking area. It opens at 8am and is a great central location for refueling. We'll head towards Pinnacle first but turn around where Ridgeline meets Pinnacle trail. We will refuel when we get back to boulders access which should make for about 12. Then we'll head towards Kings Mtn loop and do an out and back to finish up whatever mileage we have left. The Ridgeline offers some really nice views and breezes that you don't usually get on the 16 mile loop. One day soon I'd like to park at boulders then hit the loop for a lap then head back to boulders. Should make for over 20 miles.

theyapper

On the road again...

3.5 trail miles today at XC practice.  Quite a good little workout.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul