RUNNER DATE RACE LOCATION DIST GOAL RESULT
    Last week:            
    old-runner 04JUL2012 Firecracker Charlotte NC  5k (na) 46:34
    Happyfeet 04JUL2012 July 4th Spectacular Charlotte NC 4M (na) 33:32
    old-runner 08JUL2012 Coon Dog Days Saluda NC 5k (na) 21:35

This week:            
    Happyfeet 14JUL2012 The Scream Jonas Ridge NC HM < 1:44:48  
    old-runner 14JUL2012 The Scream Jonas Ridge NC HM < 1:35  

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Put me down for The Scream also this weekend. Goal is to run circles around everybody who's sitting at home on their couch. And I'd also like to finish in under 1:35.

Also, to clear up any confusion, I didn't eat any pancakes before that race last week. I had plenty of pizza and ice cream at lunch, then for dinner we ate at the Original Pancake House but I was trying to be smart by getting the Bird of Paradise, which is mostly a bunch of fruit. I ended up eating way too much fruit (would have been better off with a short stack of pancakes). 

My goal for The Scream is sub 8:00 pace or about 1:45:00.  If I can't get that on this downhill course, then I better find a different hobby. 

old-runner

My goal for The Scream is sub 8:00 pace or about 1:45:00.  If I can't get that on this downhill course, then I better find a different hobby. 

I still say tiddlywinks is a great hobby. You ever tried flipping those little chip things into the cup? It's fun... very addictive.

And regarding The Scream, easily over half of the people who ran it last year got a PR, including me, but I remember thinking about 12 miles in that even though I might be getting a PR I still had to run pretty fast for 13 miles and that's never all that easy. I remember some people being disappointed that they weren't able to get a PR. 

theyapper

On the road again...

And regarding The Scream, easily over half of the people who ran it last year got a PR, including me, but I remember thinking about 12 miles in that even though I might be getting a PR I still had to run pretty fast for 13 miles and that's never all that easy. I remember some people being disappointed that they weren't able to get a PR. 

Funny, because the first thing I thought when I read Sashi's post was, "Even downhill, it's still 13.1 miles."

Hope you guys do great!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

5.5 miles this morning.  Thrilled to wake up to no rain and 67°.

Paul

Yeah, I was looking forward to doing 8mi last night in the rain and cooler temps.  Then the light rain stopped ... and it was just 75* and 100% humidity.  Still, it did feel cooler!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Man, I have a knack for missing the train and catching the 100% humidity instead!  Ran at lunch, sweat a TON ... and it's been sprinkling all afternoon here. Angry

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Man, I have a knack for missing the train and catching the 100% humidity instead!  Ran at lunch, sweat a TON ... and it's been sprinkling all afternoon here. Angry

Humidity definitely doesn't watch a clock.  I went out the door at 5 this morning and when I got back 8.5 miles later, you'd have thought I'd been swimming.  Sweat was dripping everywhere.  MUGGY.

But just think how fast we'll be in the fall!

Paul

Very enjoyable race at the Scream.  The Thunder and lightning while waiting in the bus to get to the start was an added bonus.  Not sure why but I just did not have the leg turnover today to run fast even on the screaming downhill portions.  Maybe I am still feeling last week's 60 miles.  However looks like everyone was 2-3 min slower this year compared to last year including the winners and Richard, maybe because of the muggy conditions.  Finished in 1:48:20, a 2:29 PR.   Really need to work on my hills, both uphill and downhill. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Very enjoyable race at the Scream.  The Thunder and lightning while waiting in the bus to get to the start was an added bonus.  Not sure why but I just did not have the leg turnover today to run fast even on the screaming downhill portions.  Maybe I am still feeling last week's 60 miles.  However looks like everyone was 2-3 min slower this year compared to last year including the winners and Richard, maybe because of the muggy conditions.  Finished in 1:48:20, a 2:29 PR.   Really need to work on my hills, both uphill and downhill. 

Congrats on the PR, and a pretty big one at that.

Paul

old-runner

I had fun riding up to The Scream with Shashi and two other guys from the Gaston County Runners, Rick and Matt. It's always a good day for me if I can ride in a car with somebody and they don't want to kill me because I never shut up, so it was quite a success in that respect.

The race was tough this year, I think because of the 100% humidity. Seemed to slow everybody down. I was somewhere around 1:36:15, which was about 4 minutes slower than last year. Almost everybody was several minutes slower.

Sounds like a fun race.  I always say I want to specialize in downhill running, so maybe I should try that one next year. Shashi, congrats on the PR.  I'm sure the mileage might have slowed you a little, but getting a PR is sweet, right!\?  No new hobbies for you.

Yes fairly happy with the result, a downhill run is no substitute for training, I had two run of 10 miles the past 8 months, but both of those were long run/walks in the hills, so no real long run. And the back to back 2 hour plus runs last weekend (logged as 8 miles, but probably a bit longer) left me with tired legs. When I had the PR I was just coming off marathon training with fresh legs and was in much cooler weather (35 degrees at Thunder Road).  Only unhappy that I have no running ability even on really small hills, but I caught all the folks back who passed me on those uphills, so not much time lost there, and one other small gripe was thatI could not move any faster than a 8 min mile on 4-5% downhill grades.