Charlotte, NC area runners

Where to Run/Running Groups (July 14-19) (Read 12 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I will be In Charlotte the week of July 14-19 and am looking for good places to run.  I'm a Pfitz plan user, so I need two runs of 10-ish miles and a recovery run, although if not all the miles happen, I'm not worrying about it.  I'm staying near Dilworth  by the Starbucks and where the Caribou used to be (if that makes any sense at all - last time I was there, Caribou was still there).

I'm thinking I definitely want to run at the Whitewater Center one day.  Otherwise, suggestions welcome!  Running groups also welcome- I know Charlotte Running Co has a Wednesday group that I think I want to try out.

I might also try your Flywheel.

We are looking at houses, so I'm ok being a bit of a "local" on vacay (as it is more of an information quest that will turn me INTO a local).

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Tar Heel Mom

kween

You won't be far from Sugar Creek greenway, but it isn't very long, maybe 3.5 miles one way. Also near Dilworth is Queens Road (all of them), just a beautiful neighborhood with wide sidewalks. And the streets loop all over the place.

Whitewater Center is nice, and the trees will cover you from the sun, but they also hold in a lot of humidity. It can be uncomfortable to run there in the heat.

Have fun! I am sure you run too fast for me to join you.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Thanks!  i am thinking of going to one of the store runs and I think I found some on meetup.  Maybe I can run to the Sugar Creek Greenway and back.  I'll have to map some things out online and see.  Either way i'm excited.

Hey SprinklesRunner and welcome. You might have found my running group. Google Charlotte Runners. I help organize the Monday Run out front of Charlotte Running Company. Hilly route, and the group runs hard but all paces are welcome. We wait at the end for 15 to 20 minutes and I'll wait longer for anyone that asks. Some run this twice for extra mileage also. Check out another meetup group, Carolina Trail and Mountain Bikers. Numerous runs, and a very large Thursday evening group run at 6:30 pm at the White Water Center. River Jam is in full jam mode, so it's fun. We usually stop several times during a 6 mile route and regroup.
            Join us for a Tuesday evening speed work at Belmont College Track (exit 26 on I-85), the track itself is pretty crappy (potholes and broken up asphalt), but a good coach (especially if you are into race-walking) and there will be friendly folks running all paces between 4:30 min/mile to 14 min pace.
            SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Hey SprinklesRunner and welcome. You might have found my running group. Google Charlotte Runners. I help organize the Monday Run out front of Charlotte Running Company. Hilly route, and the group runs hard but all paces are welcome. We wait at the end for 15 to 20 minutes and I'll wait longer for anyone that asks. Some run this twice for extra mileage also. Check out another meetup group, Carolina Trail and Mountain Bikers. Numerous runs, and a very large Thursday evening group run at 6:30 pm at the White Water Center. River Jam is in full jam mode, so it's fun. We usually stop several times during a 6 mile route and regroup.

Yes - this is the group that I found.  I'm pretty used to hills and train around an 8:30 pace for medium long runs (marathon pace goal is 8:10).  My NYC Hills have nothing on most hills, since there really are only a few, in Central Park, and I don't run them daily.  You guys are on Meetup, right?  I joined the group to get the updates for when I am there!  I will definitely come out for that Monday run and check out the Whitewater Center run as well.  Thank you so much!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Join us for a Tuesday evening speed work at Belmont College Track (exit 26 on I-85), the track itself is pretty crappy (potholes and broken up asphalt), but a good coach (especially if you are into race-walking) and there will be friendly folks running all paces between 4:30 min/mile to 14 min pace.

I don't run walk at all, but this might work if I've got a track workout scheduled - I am not sure what my plan says for that week - I'm trying ot make it a cutback so I'm not under all the peak week stress during my vacation...but that might entail low mileage track.  Thanks!

Yes, both the Charlotte Runners and the Carolina Trail Run group are on meetup currently.  There is now a FB page you can join for both that gets a little activity, but FB still isn't great at handling repetitive run events like we do.  We have a race at the White Water Center on the 13th also if you make it to Charlotte in time for that.  Those are always fun there.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Lap - I won't be there until the night of the 13th, so it looks like i'll miss that race.  I got myself on the meetup emails and will sign up for some runs as the time approaches.  Definitely exciting! now only if the job market would pick up.