Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 26NOV-02DEC 2012 (Read 234 times)

old-runner

Clive... I'll be looking for you at the starting line. The way I'm running you'll leave me behind after the first tenth of a mile. I'm trying to decide whether to bring my rolling walker with the tennis balls on the bottom or not. Not sure if they ban that kind of thing like dogs and headphones.

Tar Heel Mom... Where do you live that both Huntersville and Ballantyne are both too far? Do you run the Charlotte races??

Joe In Raleigh... I was wondering what you meant about RunnersWorld falling apart. I don't really get on the forums there but I just checked and life still seems to be going on. Was there an NC group of some sort there that's no longer up and running?

Anybody racing this weekend? I'm kind of thinking about running the 5k in Kings Mountain but I've hated it every time I've ever been. I saw Bobby Aswell the other day and he said he was running in Salisbury this Saturday but I'm not sure I want to drive up there and run in the freezing weather. Any other races around??

Run Long, and Prosper!

Joe In Raleigh... I was wondering what you meant about RunnersWorld falling apart. I don't really get on the forums there but I just checked and life still seems to be going on. Was there an NC group of some sort there that's no longer up and running?

There was a mass exodus due to mismanagement of the forums.  They took the forums off line for what they said would be a few hours for an upgrade.  When the site came back up ~4 days later, it had fewer features, was frustratingly slow, and had a huge problem with spam.  At one point only 2 of first 25 posts were non-spam.  A lot of other things have happened as well - most are summed up in the blog below.  A lot of the groups that I frequented (trail runners and ultras) are now ghost towns.  Even the beginner forum has seen a huge cut back in posts.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2012/11/runners-world-lessons-yet-to-be-learned.html

I wasn't involved in any of the "drama" described in the blog and don't know the details of it. All I know is a lot of the people and threads I regularly communicated with left the site.

"Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning."

- Thomas Jefferson

Joe, surf the user groups here.  To my knowledge, the RWOL refugees have created groups mirroring several of their old ones (e.g. BF, L&O).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Re: the H'ville HM, I'm pacing the 1:45 hopefuls.  Very nervous about it.

Cliff, why are you nervous about pacing -- have you paced before (or worried that some in the pace group will half-step you)? Is the course hilly (which could lead to uneven pacing)? And is your strategy an even split, negative split or will you be guilted into banking time over the first 6-7 miles?

Welcome back, (Mr.) Kotter, um, Richard.  I'm glad to see that your back here. I hope you get through your ailments.

Joe fr Raleigh, your a voracious racer (via your posting in 2013 races) but you'll need to learn from the "master" (Mr. Kotter) who if he posted to that it would fill one page.

Lynwood, did I read that you say your not that good on hills -- this coming from a person who is the Monday Night Run Organizer for what is the "Hill Run", 4.5 miles worth, that you've probably run 40 times of the past year (you should have "adapted" and become more proficient running hills unless your not doing something right -- how do you primarily run this each week so we can have everyone chime in w/their feedback?)?

Rob

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Clive... I'll be looking for you at the starting line. The way I'm running you'll leave me behind after the first tenth of a mile. I'm trying to decide whether to bring my rolling walker with the tennis balls on the bottom or not. Not sure if they ban that kind of thing like dogs and headphones.

Tar Heel Mom... Where do you live that both Huntersville and Ballantyne are both too far? Do you run the Charlotte races??

Anybody racing this weekend? I'm kind of thinking about running the 5k in Kings Mountain but I've hated it every time I've ever been. I saw Bobby Aswell the other day and he said he was running in Salisbury this Saturday but I'm not sure I want to drive up there and run in the freezing weather. Any other races around??

I live in Cotswold and work at Shalom Park. My world is very small and I like it that way. I have run both Thunder Road and Racefest, but I had to work the Saturday of Thunder Road this year and will have to work when RaceFest is scheduled next April. I ran the Ramblin' Rose half in September.

I think RaceFest is my favorite race. It's so much smaller than Thunder Road that I have won AG awards. Plus the neighborhoods it runs through are beautiful.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Cliff, why are you nervous about pacing -- have you paced before (or worried that some in the pace group will half-step you)? Is the course hilly (which could lead to uneven pacing)? And is your strategy an even split, negative split or will you be guilted into banking time over the first 6-7 miles?

I'm targeting a 1:44:30 to 1:44:45 finish.  My concerns, in no particular order:

1. I've never served as a pace team leader before.
              2. I'm a team of one for this race.
              3. Lots of folks have Garmins.
              4. We don't run perfect race lines, so those GPSs will show faster-than-reality paces and splits.
              5. People will start bitching at/about me for "running too fast".
              6. The course is quite hilly, so we will NOT run even splits throughout.  Even effort, yes -- mile by mile, we'll take what the course gives us.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive, are there timing clocks out on the race and does the course have mile markers? If not, I can see how people could freak a little (plus won't it be difficult for you to calibrate your pacing if there are no timing clocks or mile markers out there?)? Best of luck to you (get a pair of ear plugs)!

Rob

Lynwood, did I read that you say your not that good on hills -- this coming from a person who is the Monday Night Run Organizer for what is the "Hill Run", 4.5 miles worth, that you've probably run 40 times of the past year (you should have "adapted" and become more proficient running hills unless your not doing something right -- how do you primarily run this each week so we can have everyone chime in w/their feedback?)?

Well, I've gotten better this last year.  I should have specifically said, I enjoy training on hills and racing flat courses. Actually, I still think I would prefer downhill courses, like the Scream Half Marathon.  I seem to remember a write up about that on Richard's blog.  Better go back and look that up. 

Anybody wanting to come out and chime in, we run Monday's at 6:30 in front of Charlotte Running Company.  I think Rob handles the Wednesday run.

Clive, are there timing clocks out on the race and does the course have mile markers? If not, I can see how people could freak a little (plus won't it be difficult for you to calibrate your pacing if there are no timing clocks or mile markers out there?)? Best of luck to you (get a pair of ear plugs)!

The miles should be marked, but I doubt they'll have clocks out on-course.  I'll be using my Garmin somewhat,but I'm pretty good about locking onto an effort after I get it dialed in.

I'm shooting for a few sec/mi under the 8:00/mi pace it works out to (to account for not running perfect tangents everywhere) -- if we end up getting 13.25mi, then 1:44:30 = 7:54 pace and 1:45:00 = 7:56 pace.  Just that "7-something" v. "8-something" is probably enough to freak some people out.

-- Dick LeBeau

aponi

never runs the tangents

I'm impessed with people who can run a set pace. I'm afraid that I run like I play the piano, faster on the easy parts and slower on the hard parts.

Ran the ACC Championship 5k yesterday. It was surprisingly hilly and well they didn't exactly route it through the prettier parts of town but the race was a lot of run. The dog got a lot of attention. 

ramsies

decon

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

aponi,

I would assume the race started at/near the stadium and any race that goes out in any direction from there is going to be hilly (and with a nice uphill the final portion of the race). I think you and Clive (for Bear) are going to have to log mileage for your dogs as new members of our group, although Clive may choose to tally the "non-humans" separately in the weekly mileage totals.

Rob

Nice pictures aponi!  Looks like a good race.

aponi

never runs the tangents

aponi,

I would assume the race started at/near the stadium and any race that goes out in any direction from there is going to be hilly (and with a nice uphill the final portion of the race). I think you and Clive (for Bear) are going to have to log mileage for your dogs as new members of our group, although Clive may choose to tally the "non-humans" separately in the weekly mileage totals.

the dog actually has his own spreadsheet with his race times

sad but true

really it's because DH wanted to know why his pace time was slower in certain races, this was Bodie's 11th race

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who