Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 9/27/2010 (Read 208 times)

So how did Clive Fenster do in the Twin Cities Marathon today? I'd look him up but I don't remember his real name!

I managed to do a 20-mile death march... 20 loops around Martha Rivers Park just so I wouldn't get overstimulated. 

Bought a new sledgehammer at Home Depot and told Linda to beat me senseless with it if I ever mentioned running another marathon. 

I'll let Clive tell his experience,  but looks like he was right on target through 20 miles and then faded a bit (last 10K in 58 min).  Now I am officially scared of my marathon.

I'll let Clive tell his experience,  but looks like he was right on target through 20 miles and then faded a bit (last 10K in 58 min).  Now I am officially scared of my marathon.

The goal had always been a BQ, which is 3:30:59 or better for me.  I followed the Clif Bar 3:30 pace team, and they took us out too fast.  Not entirely trusting my Garmin, I confirmed it with a handful of other runners -- everyone agreed we were on about 3:18-3:20 pace.  So I dropped off the back of the LARGE pack they had in tow and reverted to MY pace from there, hoping that too-fast first 5mi hadn't caused damage I'd discover later.

Correcting for the quick first five, I hit my 10k, HM, and 20mi time targets within a few seconds.  I had the bad patch I figured would hit between 15 and 20 but toughed it out.  There's a long incline through miles 21-23.  I'd nearly surmounted it when my left leg started to cramp up.  The first couple cramp attacks, I power-walked, stopped to massage it, then got back on the horse.  About the third time it struck, I kept running to see if it'd stabilize or even recede.  Bad decision!  My whole leg seized up like an artificial leg.  Did the Chester B. Goode shtick for a bit and got it partially "unstuck".  Then a guy slapped me on the back as he passed by, urging me to keep going.  Between the anger that he thought I'd stopped because I was tired and the jolt of adrenaline from getting hit, the leg loosened up enough that I made it to the finish line before it totally seized again.  My final time was 3:37:nn.

Bummed that I missed my BQ goal.  Bummed that I didn't hit "The Wall", yet still didn't get that BQ.  Bummed because I don't know how I could have handled hydration and electrolytes any better.  But satisfied with my race from a tactical and mental perspective.

(Edit: I mistyped the time.  It was three thirty-seven something.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive, that's definitely a good time.  You're close for sure.  Congrats on completing that the way you did.

old-runner

Good work Clive! I know you're a little bummed by not hitting your BQ time but many of us (including me) would love to finish in 3:37. I guess that elusive BQ time is why a lot of runners keep going back for more, and you'll get it in the next time or two that you try. 

under a rock

Clive, sorry to hear you didn't make your BQ time. I'm still impressed with the time you did get. So, congratulations!

Clive, Bummer that the pacers could have cost you the BQ.  If you had trouble getting 3:30 I should re calibrate my expectations for sub 4 at the Monkey marathon.  

Heard good things about the TCM course, so I might have to try it sometime, but not a fan of training through the summer, wish it was a month later.

Thanks, all.

HF, I don't think running 3:20-ish pace for 5mi hurt me that much.  I didn't have the perfect training coming into the race, but I had the energy to make 3:30 without an issue -- I was feeling tired but strong even during the muscle cramps.

TCM is a very well-run event.  Nice size (11,000 runners to start); great logistics; excellent aid stations and course markings; roomy finish area (and one that you run DOWNHILL into!) with hot and cold fluids, fruit, salty snacks; man-sized Mylar blankets; and a large, soft grassy field to sit/lay down/vomit on.  I wouldn't hesitate to run there again.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive, Looks like the Ridge to Bridge marathon might have some openings, a net downhill course (big downhill), want to try and get your BQ again.  I am surely going to try and run this next year.

http://www.my-bmrc.org/2010Info.html#wait

If I do another one before Christmas, it'll probably be Thunder Road (Charlotte NC or Rocket City (Huntsville, Alabama).  I have a friend running RC, and she might be gunning for around 3:30 too.  It'd be nice to have a companion.

-- Dick LeBeau