Charlotte, NC area runners

Athlinks Anybody? (Read 507 times)

old-runner

Anybody else here on Athlinks? Our newest member Mike Kahn sent me a friend request on Athlinks and had found me through this site. If you haven't checked out Athlinks you ought to take a look. It's not something to replace RunningAhead at all (they're for different things). If you've run any races the Athlinks site probably already has your results in their database. If you've run in different states you may have several different entries under your name but it's easy to consolidate them together under your profile once you've signed up (and it's completely free). As you run more races most of them will be added in automatically and it's a great way to keep up with what you've done and also keep up with other runners in your area or age group or whatever. It's kind of like Facebook for runners. Here's the address: http://www.athlinks.com
    theyapper

On the road again...

Richard, Thanks for the link. I've added you as a friend and will try to remember to keep up with another social networking site. Shocked It looks like a good one, though!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Hey Paul... Thanks for signing up on Athlinks! It's really great for anybody who wants to keep track of their races or other runners. Lynwood is on there too. I think he's the only other one on this board also on Athlinks but everybody's races are on there.

under a rock

I'm on there thanks to Richard! Athlinks even found a race I did in 2002. Hopefully I'll be getting some more races added soon. I just need to look some up and go!

Richard probably thinks I'm stalking him.  Since meeting him at a race last month I've found him on line in several places and even ran into him at the park. Finding your blog gave me lots of great running sites to use! Thank you!

old-runner

Hey Ashley... good to see you in here! I don't think anybody in their right mind would stalk me so you're safe on that account. You should have come over to the King Tiger 5k and ran this morning. It was really a good one. There were a few jogging strollers and you would have done well with yours. I saw Debbie over there before the race and talked to her for a few minutes but never did see her again after that. It was pretty crowded with about 800 runners.

under a rock

What other 5k's are you doing soon? I was looking at the Hickory one next weekend and the Summer Breeze on the 20th. I was waiting to race again until I got a bit fitter. That last 5k was tough on me and I'd like to feel more fit next time. I'm finally getting to the point where 3 miles isn't so tough, now if I could just get 4 miles to be easier!
              old-runner

What other 5k's are you doing soon? I was looking at the Hickory one next weekend and the Summer Breeze on the 20th. I was waiting to race again until I got a bit fitter. That last 5k was tough on me and I'd like to feel more fit next time. I'm finally getting to the point where 3 miles isn't so tough, now if I could just get 4 miles to be easier!

I copied and pasted my upcoming races list from my blog. The China Grove 5k is next Friday night at 9 o'clock... seems like fun but maybe it's too late if you're bringing the baby. The one in Hickory will be smaller than some of the Charlotte races (150 runners maybe?). The Miles of Mooresville runs look like fun and are on Friday nights. Summer Breeze is separate races for men and women that start 30 minutes apart at Freedom Park. They're all kind of interesting in their own way. You were really fast in the Belmont race, so if you were out of shape you'll be a force to be reckoned with when you get in shape!

06/12/09 - China Grove 5k Main Street Challenge (China Grove NC)
                06/13/09 - CityKids VBS 5k Run (Hickory NC)
                06/19/09 - Miles of Mooresville - June (Mooresville NC)
                06/20/09 - Summer Breeze 5k (Charlotte NC)
                06/27/09 - Freedom Run 10k (Greensboro NC)
                07/04/09 - Firecracker 5k (Weaverville NC)
                07/11/09 - Run for Your Life 4-Miler (Charlotte NC)
                07/17/09 - Miles of Mooresville - July (Mooresville NC)
                07/18/09 - Folkmoot 5k (Weaverville NC)
                07/25/09 - Bele Chere 5k (Asheville NC)
                08/01/09 - Hot Summer's Night 5k (Columbia SC)
                08/08/09 - Blue Points 5k (Charlotte NC)
                08/21/09 - Miles of Mooresville - August (Mooresville NC)
                08/25/09 - Hot August Nights (Montford NC)
                08/29/09 - Yiasou Greek Festival 5k (Charlotte NC)
                09/12/09 - Asheville Citizen-Times Half Marathon (Asheville NC)
                09/26/09 - Hit the Brixx (Charlotte NC)
                10/17/09 - Lung Strong 5k/15k (Charlotte NC)
                10/31/09 - Runway 5k (Charlotte NC)
                12/12/09 - Thunder Road 5k (Charlotte NC)
                12/13/09 - Run to Victory Half Marathon (Randleman NC)

"08/29/09 - Yiasou Greek Festival 5k (Charlotte NC) "

Richard, I see this race is on your list.  Ya'll will have to come over sometime this summer on a Monday for a course review run.  I got selected to co-organize the Monday run with the Charlotte Runners.  I'm alternating the Monday run and using this course as my selection.  I needed something flat to run in Dilworth and this is the closest thing to it.  I think there is one minor hill section.  You will be able to kill this course in August.

I'll run it twice this Monday.  We start at Charlotte Running Company at 6:30.

old-runner

Hey Lynwood... Not sure I can make it over there at 6:30 today but will if I can. Glad to hear it's a flat course though -- that's always nice!

I looked for your results at the King Tiger 5k this weekend but didn't find you... were you not able to make it?

No, I wanted to race, but had too many kid activities to handle. That's a good reason to miss a race though.  They aren't young very long. 

I would have looked you up.  I'll try to catch one or more on your list when possible.  I'll be gunning for the 23:00's this time, so I'll chase you as long as I can.   Great race for you.  The pictures on your blog were a great idea also. 

I forgot to tell ya'll a while back I was planning on racing the GBS 5k here in Charlotte.  I had a schedule change, so I took my 11 year old daughter and we ran the Miracle Mile with the people recovering from that terrible disease.  That's a worthwhile race and a great, small event.  It really had a big impact on me seeing the people in the race we were supporting. 

My daughter ran a 10:15 mile without stopping, and we had a blast.  One of the girls in my group ran with us and paid her a lot of attention.  That was a nice touch.  And my daughter got to experience the racing environment and loved it.

old-runner

I heard the GBS race was a good one. Good job of running by your daughter. I wish I was able to go back and encourage my kids to run when they were young.