Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 8/30/2010 (Read 159 times)

under a rock

Carolinablue, sorry to hear about your injury. I hope it heals on time and doesn't set you back for too long.

old-runner

Wow... kidney stones and avulsion fractures! I'm feeling fortunate just to be able to run, even if it's not so fast!

Way back in the olden days I used to play a lot of basketball (we used peach baskets and did a lot of two-handed set shots) and I turned an ankle when I came down on somebody's foot. I kept playing for a while but after we quit and I rested for a while I couldn't walk on it at all. I ended up limping for a whole year. I thought I'd limp for the rest of my life but it eventually got better. Anyhow, CarolinaBlue, I hope you're not down and out for too long. I know you were making amazing progress with your running.

Adrian... good luck with the kidney stones if that's what it was. I've heard that's about the most painful thing you can get, but I guess I don't need to tell you that.

I've got a big race tomorrow night (Friday, 09/03/10) -- The Midnight Flight 10k in Anderson, SC. It's the first race of the season for the Running Journal Grand Prix. It's a lot of fun and starts at 11 p.m. Kind of weird to be running that late at night though.

Adrian, I hope the stone passes quickly and while you're sleeping.  Not that I wish you'd pee the bed, but -- you know what I mean.

Rob, that's awful!  Sounds like avulsion fractures have a pretty good prognosis, though.  (Silver lining!)

Richard, good luck tomorrow!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

CB - reading your posts made me hurt.  Sorry about the injury.

Go get 'em, Richard!

Adrian - ummm, this, too, shall pass??  (Ugghh)

Did a 6 mile pace this morning and ended up running 30 sec/mile faster than my goal marathon pace and I felt good.  I was tired, but not dying by any means.  Wondering if I should adjust my MP or just stay with it and see where I am in another month.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ashley, Richard, Clive, Paul -- thanx for the encouraging thoughts & they may have helped.  Saw the orthopedist this morning. After exam (where he probed & no pain) he concluded no break.  Bad sprain (swollen).  Splint gone.  Wearing ankle support.  Still use crutches but can now put weight on foot and gradually wean off over next week.  3-4 weeks to perhaps b4 I can run.  I won't lose "all" of my fitness & more importantly won't atrophy (I can swim, run in water & lift).

Richard -- good luck on the race!

Rob

Rob, I'm sorry you got hit with that, but your comments sound much better now.  I'll bet you should keep most of your fitness with some kind of cross training. 

Good luck racing Richard!

theyapper

On the road again...

13.1 this morning.  No medal, just a training run.  Undecided

Paul

Wasn't the cooler weather nice.  For the first time this cycle my clothes were not soaked through even at the end of the run.  Made it to 16 miles, could have gone another mile  or 2 but didn't want to push my luck.

theyapper

On the road again...

Wasn't the cooler weather nice.  For the first time this cycle my clothes were not soaked through even at the end of the run.  Made it to 16 miles, could have gone another mile  or 2 but didn't want to push my luck.

Great run, Sashi.  I noticed the cooler weather, too, but it seemed that a nice cool breeze started blowing as I was walking the dog out in our yard AFTER my run.  Dang!

Paul

Kidney stones appear to have passed. No pain for about 2 days. I was able to get one run in for the week. Would hate to have a run report with ZERO miles by my name. Or totally get left off the report. Trying to get the mileage up.

Rob - get well man!

Richard - how did the race go?

Adrian

old-runner

The Midnight Flight 10k was somewhat of a disaster for me.  The good news is I finished 2nd in my age group. The bad news is that my time was 4 minutes slower than in the same race last year (47:07 versus 43:12). That's kind of a scary slowdown. Time to get serious about the diet and training!