Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 29APR-05MAY 2013 (Read 11 times)

Paul,

excellent job! I've come back and looked at that picture several times and cannot stop from laughing each time I look at it. I keep thinking of banner copy over it...."Mt. Holly Springest 5k - Bring Along your Dogs" or "Mt. Holly Springfest 5k - Family & Dog Friendly (Human Unfriendly)" or "Mt Holly Springfest 5k - Free Rabies Shots Available Only to Finishers" or "Mt Holly Springfest 5k - Runners Should Not Have Food or Raw Meat on the Course". I would defer to those in this forum for their suggestions on a headline?

Clive,

what happened in 1998 (did you step on a IED)? I thought you ran in HS and then stopped after HS and got back in '09/'10? Was that your testimony or is this a new version of your past events?

Rob

Clive,

what happened in 1998 (did you step on a IED)? I thought you ran in HS and then stopped after HS and got back in '09/'10? Was that your testimony or is this a new version of your past events?

One of the great law school traditions is fall-semester softball.  Team captains are even given lists of the incoming iL's, divvy them up, and assign them to teams before orientation.  Second year, the games fell on a day when there'd been a few days of heavier-than-usual rain, which had left the fields a horrible muddy mess.  None of the four games could be played, as not a single team had the minimum number of players.  So we hardy softball addicts -- students, spouses, and a few professors -- pooled our human capital and had a pickup game.

(I'll mention here a specific play: I was on first, having somehow failed to hit one for extra bases.  The prof playing second had stood his beer bottle on the second-base bag.  The batter hit a grounder that made it through the right side of the infield; I was advancing to second, saw the shortstop move over toward second, and thought there was going to be a play.  So I slid.  The beer bottle was wiped out, and I sent up a huge wave of mud and muddy water -- straight at the shortstop.  Good times.)

Coming in from third to easily score, I noticed home plate was completely submerged.  Both the catcher and our next batter were standing right there, so I hopped up on the last stride, intending to stomp down and splash them as I touched home.  Well, it turned out to be deeper water than I'd thought, and my left leg was weirdly straight when the full force of my stomp occurred.  It hurt my knee pretty seriously -- I was unable to walk without limping for a good while afterward.  Never had it checked out, though, and it was OK in a few days.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

So your knee was a function of a toxic brew of alcohol (always a catalyst in these situations) + trying to relive your youth + being a troublemaker + biting off more than you could chew (the play at the plate). Things would have played out so different if had idolized Pete Rose when you grew up -- you would have tried to take the catcher out at home plate and spared your knee -- and you would have then raced yesterday (its so simple, this is really all about you making a wrong choice in a role model when growing up). How long are you out for and do you have ACL damage (which can happen when you hyper-extend it like that)?

Rob

Not out of commission.  I completed a light run Saturday with the dog, and then a longer run Sunday, both without incident.  W00t.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau