Last week:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

old-runner 04MAY2013 Mt. Holly Springfest 5km Mt. Holly NC sub-22 20:58
    CliveF 04MAY2013 Mt. Holly Springfest 5km Mt. Holly NC Insanity! DNS -- knee pain! Angry
    Happyfeet 04MAY2013 Mt. Holly Springfest 5km Mt. Holly NC sub-23 23:57

This week:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

CliveF 10MAY2013 TWAM Mission Run 5km Salisbury NC 19:00 20:48
    old-runner 11MAY2013 Beach Blast 5km Albemarle NC sub-21 21:10
    Tar Heel Mom 12MAY2013 Friends Run 5km Charlotte NC <27:45  

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I have a 5K on Sunday, May 12. Goal is to be my horrible 27:45 from last year.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

old-runner

I have a 5K on Sunday, May 12. Goal is to be my horrible 27:45 from last year.

Tar Heel Mom... Where's the 5k on Sunday??

Clive... Put me down for the Beach Blast 5k in Albemarle Saturday. Last year I ran it in 20:58, which is the same time as my 5k last Saturday, so I guess my goal is to run under 21 minutes.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Shalom Park. It is the Jewish Family Services  (JFS) Friends 5K. www.friendsrun.com.

Everybody, please come and run! It's fun. It goes through Lansdowne so there are just a few gentle hills. And last year there was falafel for sale after the race. You also get use of the JCC health center facilities with your bib.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

old-runner

Thanks Tarheel Mom... It sounds like a good race. I've heard of it before and looking at last year's results I see that a few of my friends ran it then. Every once in a while I'll run two races in a weekend so I might show up if I'm feeling great Sunday morning.

Clive... Put me down for the Beach Blast 5k in Albemarle Saturday. Last year I ran it in 20:58, which is the same time as my 5k last Saturday, so I guess my goal is to run under 21 minutes.

Looking at last year's cluster of 5k's around then, you ran ~30-50 seconds faster at Beach Blast than the flanking events.  So I put you down for sub-21 ... but I'm looking for sub-20:45 at a minimum. Big grin

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Shalom Park. It is the Jewish Family Services  (JFS) Friends 5K. www.friendsrun.com.

Everybody, please come and run! It's fun. It goes through Lansdowne so there are just a few gentle hills. And last year there was falafel for sale after the race. You also get use of the JCC health center facilities with your bib.

Tempting.  I had a weird twinge in my Achilles during Monday evening's run, and I may end up giving it an extra day or two before racing.  Which puts the Friends Run right in my calendar wheelhouse!

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Didn't quite go sub-21 today after all... I knew I should stick with sub-22 as a goal. Anyhoo, I finished at 21:10 and 1st in the geezer division so it's all good. I think maybe the warmer temperature made me a little slower this week. I know when I passed the water stop I was thinking to myself that a cold drink of water would be good about then, but I resisted the urge.

Congrats Richard!

Cliff,

what happened to Clive in the race on Friday nite? Again? You were out in 12:36 at two miles and then what happened? It does not appear that you had to rush to bathroom as you ran the next 4/10ths of mile at 8:04 pace (that split is too quick given how long its takes you to go now), and in your log you talked about various parts of your body going numb (that is not normal, that is abby-normal) so did you slow from this abby-normal reaction? And then even though this time no trip to the ER your "camped out" by the fire truck since based upon how you felt you must have been concerned that you were "close"?

Is there a pattern emerging here (throwing aside the 2 mile race you ran recently since that is too short of race to factor into this). In the cooler weather, you were forced to heed the call of nature in an 8k and 10k. Was your Lungstrong performance an outlier or? And in the warmer weather, you had the ER episode last year and the episode today (might be a good idea to run w/your HR monitor in races now and evaluate results vs. your workouts -- I don't think your workouts suffer in the same way so it could be race specific, the race itself (and perhaps the fear in the back of your mind about the possibility of having to go during the race?) and/or expectations you've created for yourself are creating a higher level of stress for the race (so perhaps your not relaxed to start because of this and you have trouble relaxing during the race)? What did you do leading up to Lungstrong (the week leading up, and your routine the day before and morning of the race?)? From what I can see your workouts are not declining which means its not over-training or any cumulative stress/sleep issues.

Rob