Charlotte, NC area runners

Week Ending 15JAN2012 (Read 243 times)

rossruns

Goat Hill was a beast.  Actually, I take that back, the whole course was a beast.  The rains held off during the race but the whole course was a big mud-track.  You expended as much energy on the downhills trying to "ski" down on the mud and keep from slipping on your butt (or head) as you did running the uphills.  But I had a great time and will probably do this one again in the future.  I'll put together a race report on this one probably tomorrow night.

My watch showed the course as only being 8.2ish miles - others I spoke to were also surprised when they came around a turn and heard a volunteer informing them there was only a half mile to go, as we were expecting another mile or so, at that point.  The guys who ran 13 came up with 11.7 on their watches.  I know GPS doesn't work great under trees, but my resulting map looks damn near exactly like the course map on the race website, so I'm thinking overall the courses were probably a little short.  That would make sense with my time, too - I met my goal, but I walked for about 10-15 seconds three or four times at the end of some steep uphill sections, and I can't imagine that I averaged a 9:10 pace overall, in spite of what the race results say.  (Also, if you look at the results page on the race site, last's year's distance is listed as 8.2 miles - I'm thinking this year's should have said that, too.)

Great run Ross.  I wouldn't worry too much about the distance or walking.   It's a trail run and hard to compare to anything else.  As soon as it starts getting lighter again, I'll be running a similar route on Thursday's.  Hoped you liked it enough to do it again.  Now you'll have a time to compare, which is all that matters.  Congrats.