Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 08/08/09 (Read 220 times)

old-runner

Hey Folks... What's everybody up to?

The Blue Points 5k was great the other day... 1300 runners! I thought Shashi was going to be there... you sleep in Shashi?

We went to the beach after the race and I did a 10-mile run on the beach Sunday morning... it was great and the first time I've ever run on the beach.

Shashi and Ashley: I scheduled a group run for Tuesday at 7 in the morning and Thursday at 7 in the evening this week. Ashley, if Wednesday morning is still best I can schedule one for then... Let me know the time. Still 8:00? No problem with me pushing Emmett.

We had 6 at last Thursday's run! I thought that was a great start. I saw Eric Tucker at the race Saturday and he wants to get involved with the Gastonia club. He's a great runner and really knows a lot. It was his first race in 3 years and he finished 3rd in the 30-35 age group in 18-something!

under a rock

I should be able to do 7am with little problem. I'm still keeping my mileage pretty low so I'll keep it to 2 miles or less depending on how I'm feeling.

Thursday either Brian or I will be there, I swear. Are you alternating between MRP and the Ashebrook track?

theyapper

On the road again...

Richard - great to see the Gastonia group growing!  Keep up the good work.

My marathon training is really going well - mileage is starting to climb a bit and my body is adjusting just fine.  My resting HR was 51 the other day, which is the lowest I've seen.  Running more really helps us get in shape, doesn't it?

Can't believe how  hot it is today - when I checked around 2 it was 90F and 107 Heat Index.  Glad I ran early this morning!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

More like stayed up until 2:00 AM and was in no shape to race on Saturday.  Actually I think I don't like 5Ks and keep coming up with all kinds of excuses.  Ran a 12 miler some of it with Ashley instead.  I could barely keep up with her.  She'll have good races once she heals up. 

I'll see if I can make it to Tuesday morning run, right now it looks like a no go.

under a rock

In fairness to you I only did just over 1.5 miles and I was feeling fresh after a week off.  I think I would have had trouble keeping up with me too at at the end of a long run! Next time just tell me to slow down, it would be good for me.

under a rock

Richard, I'll see you Wed morning at 7:00. I decided to run on the treadmill this afternoon so I'm going to take tomorrow as a rest day.
              old-runner

Richard, I'll see you Wed morning at 7:00. I decided to run on the treadmill this afternoon so I'm going to take tomorrow as a rest day.

Wednesday's fine... I wasn't sure whether anybody would make it on Tuesday but me and Linda. She wanted to go then since it's so hot in the evening. Debbie wanted to make it again on Thursday evening so I wrote that in.

Shashi... let's you and me skip Tuesday evening. Can you make it on Thursday at MRP? I'm a little hesitant to say meet at Ashbrook since we're at the mercy of the track team's schedule, ya know?

Starting next week we'll be picking up our grandson in Charlotte early and won't be able to make any more early morning runs, but we can still schedule some morning runs as long as somebody wants to do them.

under a rock

Starting next week we'll be picking up our grandson in Charlotte early and won't be able to make any more early morning runs, but we can still schedule some morning runs as long as somebody wants to do them.

After next week Emmett starts school 5 mornings a week so I'll be doing my runs on Mondays and Wednesdays after I drop him off. So I could be at the greenway or MRP at 8:45 or 9:00 for morning runs if you want to put one of those days on the run list starting the last week of August.

I'm back online now for the second time and hopefully permanently with a new laptop.  I haven't replaced my Garmin yet and actually I might not.  I think I will just "run by feel" for awhile and enjoy whatever results come.  I started running just to have fun so I'm gonna make sure I do just that.  I don't run for health, I run for the joy of running.

I took 10 days off from running to give my calf a chance to rest a few weeks ago.  I also decided to give Ibuprofen one serious chance at working on my leg and it seems to have worked.   I decided to start a military strength dosage to see if that would un-cramp my leg.... 1500 miligrams a day for 10 days.  It worked.  For the first time since I started running I feel normal.  This has hampered me from the first time I started running so I'm really excited now.  The problems I've had I'm sure have all came from not following the "run lot's, mostly easy, sometimes hard" mantra but I didn't know any better.  I hate to have to resort to medicine, but I tried every technique I know of and nothing worked.

I'm looking forward to adding miles now and plan on racing the Miles of Mooresville.  Anybody else running it? 

I look forward to running with the new Gastonia Running Club soon.  I am 14 miles this week, and should finish at 18 to 20.

theyapper

On the road again...

Great to have you back, Lynwood.  Glad that dosage worked on your leg.  It's no fun running with something like that!

Got in my longest run ever this morning.  A nice, easy pace for 14 miles.

Have a great week-end!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Lynwood... glad you got you computer problem solved and your leg problem too. Might be a good idea not to get too hung up on the Garmin! That'll be great if you can join us sometime when we get some regular running times set for the Gastonia Running Club. I'm not planning on running the final Miles of Mooresville but Eric Tucker said he's planning on it.

I'm writing this from sunny Brooklyn New York! Had the greatest long run ever this morning... 15 miles -- across the Brooklyn Bridge and around the south side of Manhattan along the water then back across the bridge to my daughter's house. Back to reality tomorrow!