Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 10/18/2010 (Read 218 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Last week Ashley rocked a trail marathon (which I think should probably count as 2 marathons) and I ran my highest weekly mileage total ever.  Neither of those amazing efforts got us the gold star, though.  CB took care of that with another 50+ week.  Nice job!

NameDistance ▼Time
    CarolinaBlue  55.1 Mi 7:15:35
    theyapper66  45.4 Mi 7:33:00
    old-runner 45.2 Mi 7:03:06
    Happyfeet 34.3 Mi 5:17:57
    runslikeagirl 31.5 Mi 5:43:25
    cpaterun 30.2 Mi 4:44:58
    chuckplayer 29.8 Mi 4:25:00
    CliveFenster 24.5 Mi 3:37:41
    ChakaKahn 20.5 Mi 2:40:01
    alholley 12.9 Mi 2:00:35
    asdg123 9.2 Mi 1:28:37
    Docster 6 Mi 52:16

Let's see if we can pull off another great week of running in the Charlotte region!  I'm planning on 5 recovery miles later this morning.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

under a rock

Well this week coming up will be a low week, very low. hopefully more than 0 miles but probably not more than 3-5 miles. My IT band feels a lot better today, not running better, but it shouldn't take long for it to be in running shape again.

theyapper

On the road again...

Enjoy the rest, Ashley.

5 nice easy recovery miles.  Beautiful day out today.

Paul

old-runner

I'm beginning my taper for NYC this week, having never built my mileage back up to 50 miles per week since my knee issues started. I managed a 20-mile run on Sunday, if you can call it that. The last few miles I think I walked more than I ran, so I'm pretty sure New York's gonna be a disaster for me. No biggy... I'm not much for pain and suffering and really just want to get the marathon out of the way so I can get back to concentrating on shorter races.

On the bright side, I ran my fastest 5k since the 4th of July this past Saturday (21:29) and finished 20th overall out of 482 runners in the Komen Foothills Race for the Cure in Hickory. That's not a terribly fast time but I've been over 22 minutes quite a bit lately so it's nice to head in the other direction.

I'm also running the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon (13.1) this weekend. Anybody else going down for that one? It looks like it'll be fun and the weather forecast looks fantastic...

http://runmyrtlebeach.com

New coach, new new plan ... starting today!

DAY PLAN ACTUAL NOTES AND COMENTS
            MON 3.1 3.6 easy, with friends
            TUE 5 5.3
            easy, as instructed
            WED 6  6.0 easy, as instructed
            THU 5 5
             easy, yet not feeling as easy
            FRI 4 4.5

SAT

AM: 5 progression

PM: 4

AM 5.2

PM 4.4

Nice mini-progression run
            SUN 6  6.2  
            TOTAL 38
             40.2 Breaking 40 was unexpected, but felt good!

I'm just gonna roll with this weekly plan thing, much like in the 40/40 thread they run over in the master's group.  Play along if you like, or just mock me.

Cool

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive, what plan is that.  I was not ready for Pfitz plan that you were on, too aggressive on the Tempos.  Even though I think that is what I need to improve, do not have the guts to run those MP runs. I think I'll be following the Nobby plan (Lydiard) for my next marathon, a lot of miles early, and the last 8 weeks the miles drop off quite a bit.

It's a custom plan. Cool

Overall, I thought the Pfitz 18/55 plan worked well for me.  The mileage bump was somewhat aggressive, and I knew that going into it, but I stayed healthy despite myself.  Not a lot of hard workouts: one brisk workout and one long run per week.  I think there were only two (maybe three?) MP workouts in the whole plan.  But there were some long-ish tempo runs.  A friend of mine used the same plan to best his PR by about a minute at Chicago, running 3:09.  His favorite part of the plan was the midweek medium-long run.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Looks good, Clive.

Did 10 miles today.  First 5 were very fast for me, progressively quicker from 8:50 down to 7:53.  The heat killed me beyond that, so i turned around and ran home a lot slower.  Did quite a bit of walking on the way home, but it felt good to throw in a little 5 mile speed work for a change.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Great weather this morning.  Turned my 5 miler into 7.4 because of how nice it felt.

Paul

I was actually a bit chilly when I set out this AM.  Might bust out my new arm warmers!

-- Dick LeBeau

Grinded out a 10k set tonite (legs still felt sore fr travel fr yesterday).  Richard, its getting pretty cool, I hear snow could be on the forecast for the NC mountains -- are you concerned that they may cancel that Myrtle Beach Mini-Marathon this weekend (I hear they are very cautious down there in Myrtle Beach!)?

Rob

old-runner

Grinded out a 10k set tonite (legs still felt sore fr travel fr yesterday).  Richard, its getting pretty cool, I hear snow could be on the forecast for the NC mountains -- are you concerned that they may cancel that Myrtle Beach Mini-Marathon this weekend (I hear they are very cautious down there in Myrtle Beach!)?

I was down there for the one they canceled last year and just did like mostly everybody else and ran out on Ocean Boulevard or whatever it's called. It was kinda fun. Right now they're forecasting a low of 64 and a high of 79 on race day with a 10% chance of precipitation, so I'm taking my snow shoes just in case!

Richard, I am suppose to be heading down to Myrtle Beach also to run. I am getting over flu like symptoms. I did my first run in a week today. It was not as easy as usual. Man cardio goes fast if you don't keep it up. Either way, if I am not feeling bad I plan on running it. Not sure of what time I will put up. I was very excited at first since this would be a somewhat flat surface 1/2 marathon (Nothing like Thunder Road).

Adrian

old-runner

Adrian... glad to hear you're coming down! Don't worry too much about the lack of training... just go out slow and easy and enjoy the race. You might surprise yourself and feel good with 3 or 4 or 5 miles to go and you could turn it up and go for a faster time. If you don't feel great, just take it easy the whole race. I think it'll be worth it. That finisher medal looks great and the after-race party looks good too.

I'll keep an eye out for you. We're leaving home Saturday morning and will probably make it to the expo between about noon and 2:00. 

Looks like everybody is running good again. I am also. I've had some great runs so far. 

Good luck Richard and Adrian with the half!