fraggle 9.8 mi
    alholley 8.8 mi
    rossruns 7.4 mi
    SForrester 5.2 mi
    jdbrown 4.5 mi

RACES:

RUNNER DATE RACE LOCATION DIST GOAL RESULT
    Last week:            
    old-runner 08JUN2012 Main St. Challenge China Grove NC  5k   21:24 (75.0%)
    CliveF 08JUN2012 Main St. Challenge China Grove NC 5k 19:30 19:31 (PR!) (75.0%)
    theyapper66 08JUN2012 Main St. Challenge China Grove NC 5k   DNS
    Lpadg 08JUN2012 Main St. Challenge China Grove NC 5k   22:32 (64.4%)
    Happyfeet 08JUN2012 Main St. Challenge China Grove NC 5k   23:26 (59.1%)

This week:            

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Slight change in the thread title: moving to one that identifies the week we're in rather than the one that just ended.

Congrats to the China Grove folks, to Richard for his streak and for busting 40mi last week, Han for sneaking around and taking 8OA/3AG at the Lake Wylie 10k (yes, I log-stalk!), and a tip o' the cap to Ms. Fraggle for quietly putting some miles in.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Congrats to everyone at China Grove and to Clive for another PR despite the goon attempts to get you off track. Lynwood/Richard, you had a fantastic day yesterday morning for the Stuff-ur-Face. I saw that they posted photos and your both very visible in the two group shots. Richard, what is going on with your eyes in the photo of you on the trail (#13)?

http://www.meetup.com/CharlotteRunners/photos/8972252/

Rob

old-runner

Congrats to everyone at China Grove and to Clive for another PR despite the goon attempts to get you off track. Lynwood/Richard, you had a fantastic day yesterday morning for the Stuff-ur-Face. I saw that they posted photos and your both very visible in the two group shots. Richard, what is going on with your eyes in the photo of you on the trail (#13)?

http://www.meetup.com/CharlotteRunners/photos/8972252/

I'm not sure what's going on with my eyes... or my right knee. When you're my age there's always something going on with something... just gotta hope it doesn't show up for the whole world to see. There were probably at least 500 pictures taken at this race and I showed up halfway presentable in several of them. Here's one that's definitely better than the one that was posted...

Richard Hefner - Sharon Davis

old-runner

And of course there was the donut eating challenge in the middle of the race, where I smashed 3 Krispy Kremes together. Not sure what's going on with my eyes here either but at least they're open...

2012 Stuff UR Face Half Marathon

Richard,

I never saw you w/glasses and its unusual to see someone wearing glasses (vs. sunglasses) when it is that bright out (your head must have boiling w/that dark cap on).  So you did see the same thing I saw going on w/your right knee in that #13 pic. Where is Lynwood? I thought he ran with you? Didn't he say he witnessed your eating of those donuts? Did you drop him in lieu of running w/that women who is running with the two numbers and has severe under-pronation (and being Nostradomus she could have a stress fracture of her 5th metatarsal in her future unless she strengthens her feet, and strains/tears in her inside quad (vastus mediallis) in her future if she does not specifically strengthen that muscle -- how do I know this, I under-pronate also but hopefully not to that extreme). In the pic where your eating those donuts, is she pleading for you not to eat those donuts (or trying to catch the crumbs to eat)? That pic of you eating those donuts is classic and especially your eyes (you either have the look of someone who is famished or you just saw one of the officers from your reform school along the McMullen Creek Greenway -- that should be up as your main pic on your blog site (does Weight Watchers still have put a photo in your refrigerator to thwart one from snacking as that would be the photo you would use -- and your wife could put a copy of it on the front door of every Bojangles & McDonalds within 5 miles of your home)

Rob

old-runner

I'm not sure about the under-pronation but that's Sharon Davis, the Queen of Vac & Dash, and she's one heck of a runner and looks good doing it so I'm not sure if the photo was really representative of how she runs. She's definitely faster than me but we're good friends and she agreed to run a 9-minute pace with me and some of the GCR peeps (and whoever else wanted to join us). Here's a picture of us going out towards the donut turnaround and Lynwood's right in back of me. In the donut-eating picture she's trying to convince me that her cream donut should be worth more points than my smushed-up donut sandwich. As Sharon and I were eating donuts, Lynwood and everybody else decided to keep going so they wouldn't lose any time, so when we finally got through eating we turned around and started running fast to catch up (first mile on the way back was 6:57). By this time since everybody seemed to have their pace going we decided to just finish out the race at a fast pace so when we caught everybody we just kept going.

SYF pace group

under a rock

Congrats to the China Grove folks, to Richard for his streak and for busting 40mi last week, Han for sneaking around and taking 8OA/3AG at the Lake Wylie 10k (yes, I log-stalk!), and a tip o' the cap to Ms. Fraggle for quietly putting some miles in.

Thanks for the mention! I'm keeping my chatter about running very low key because I'm afraid the second I start talking about what I'm doing and what my plans are my soleus muscle will tear again. I'm building my mileage very slowly. I have no race goals this year. My only goal is to be able to run injury free and enjoy life. I do check in here every day and read what's going on. I try not to be too jealous of all the great running most everyone has been doing. It's been a lovely spring and I'm dreading full summer temps but I won't complain too much since we could have already been suffering from early hot temps like in previous years.

old-runner

Hey Fraggle... Glad to know things are looking up for you! Hope you'll get back to your old competitive self one of these days. Since we're in your neck of the woods (Martha Rivers) on Wednesday you ought to come over and hobble around with us for a mile or two when you can. We're usually having a good number of people on Wednesday -- probably 10 to 20 on average. Much better than last year when I ran part of the group runs ALONE.

Yeah, I stood around a few minutes debating about the donuts and decided it was better for me to turn around and get back home. I did see Richard crunching the donuts though.  I wish I had been running more miles, so I could enjoy it a little more, but I've successfully got my foot issue under control.  I should be good to go on more mileage if I decide to run more. 

Ashley, I saw your mileage showing up and was glad to see it.  Wishing you the best on your recovery.

under a rock

Richard, I might join you guys tonight. I need to get 2 miles in today and I have an appt with the chiro this morning so I'll have to run after Brian gets done with work anyway.

Ashley, glad to see you are on the mend.  A few gentle drills may be a good idea if you want to strengthen all your supporting muscles and  I would also run on grass a bit more because of your recurring stress fracture and other injuries.  Either MRP or the Belmont Abbey track grass seems fairly even and would be a good idea to run on without the stress of a normal trail or asphalt.  If running on grass I would go with a more minimal shoe (as you don't need any more cushioning)  

old-runner

Richard, I might join you guys tonight. I need to get 2 miles in today and I have an appt with the chiro this morning so I'll have to run after Brian gets done with work anyway.

Yay! Plan on coming out at 6:30 (or join us a little later if you want to since we'll run until about 8:00). I'll run with you at your pace. You know how it is there... you can run in the grass at least half the time.

Richard, what's all this "training plan" stuff I see on your calendar???

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Richard, what's all this "training plan" stuff I see on your calendar???

I decided to try to start running 40 miles a week. That had been my intention for quite a while but without a plan I was constantly coming up short so I thought if I used the training plan and scheduled myself to run 40 miles a week then stuck with it I'd be more likely to get there... so far it's working.