Charlotte, NC area runners

Charlotte Running Club World Record Attempt (Read 155 times)

old-runner

If you've got some free time this weekend come out and support the Charlotte Running Club's world record attempt at the 5k x 100 relay at the Providence Day School track. It starts at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday and will continue until 100 runners run the 5k, which should finish sometime around noon on Sunday. It's all very official, with Lee Timing doing the clock and each runner wearing 2 chips so there are no timing malfunctions, and the entire relay has to be video recorded for the record books.

Most of Charlotte's fastest runners will be there, including our own ChakaKahn, as well as a handful of not nearly so fast runners such as me (they apparently ran out of extremely fast people shortly before reaching 100 runners).

It should be interesting to watch. The average 5k time for the runners is under 19 minutes and the world record is more than 22 minutes per runner, so unless something catastrophic happens we should break the record. 

I'm scheduled to run at about 11:30 Saturday morning and Mike Kahn for about 8:55 Saturday evening.

Come check it out!

Very interesting.  I'd be there if not for the Championship swim meet for my kid both Saturday and Sunday at noon-5 PM.  Will see if I can make it Saturday evening.   Will you be staying after you run.

old-runner

I'm going to try to make it over there at least a couple different times... maybe at the finish around noon on Sunday.

Right now I'm not 100% so I might end up not running at all. I've got a sore left calf from the half marathon last Sunday and it's not great today. I was planning on running 6 miles and had to cut it short at 3.5. I figure I'll give it another day of rest then go over there Saturday and see how I feel. They're going to have alternates standing by in case anybody needs to drop out so that'll be a possibility for me.

That 11:30 time for you is just about the worst in terms of my schedule for the day.  I'd really be curious to see how this will be run, to give a best effort all by yourself on a track would be a different experience.  My 5K pace is just about impossible to hit in  a training run for me even for a 400 M intervals.

old-runner

Shashi... Come over anytime you can make it and check it out for a while. Looks like the weather's gonna be awful but them's the breaks I guess. 

I've still got a sore left calf but no way I can back out of it now with the crappy weather... guess I'll just take one for the team! I can deal with the rain and I don't mind the pain, but if that leg cramps up on me and I have to stop I might be able to show my face in Charlotte again!

Nice run Richard, especially not being 100%! Congratulations.

old-runner

Thanks Lynwood! The combined time was 30:56:49 for all 100 runners, which beat the record set by the Florida Striders by over 6 hours. The old record was 37:12:54.

The average time for the Charlotte Running Club was 18:34 for each 5k. That was way faster than my time of 21:45, so I'm glad there were some really fast people running 15- and 16-minute 5k times. I feel a little bad about being one of the slowest, but they needed 100 runners and there are only so many sub-20-minute 5k runners you can get together in a 30-hour relay running around a track 1,250 times. I was happy to be a part of it though.

This was just about the craziest weekend for me, and I could not make it to see this event.  Two day swim meet meant I had no time to do anything else. On the plus side my daughter did really well in her new age group. 

To make up, if the CRC puts this on again, I'll work on getting my 5K below 21  to have a chance at running the thing, need about a 2 min improvement from my current PR, but feel like I can run sub 22 right now.