Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 5/4 (Read 189 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I think I posted my first run of this week in a 2 week-old thread. Undecided Got 5.1 in today. It felt great despite the high humidity. Looking forward to a race this week-end, although I won't be running it hard. My whole family is running it together, so we'll be taking it slow. But we'll have a blast!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Hey... that's great about your whole family running with you! I've just about given up on getting my kids to run but I've got a batch of grandkids who I'm hoping to bribe when they're old enough to run. I ran the New Jersey Marathon Sunday. It was about 50 degrees and raining just about the whole time. I finished in 4:02:25. It was my first and last marathon. The first half was fine but I was miserable for just about the entire second half. I'm icing my left calf now and it looks like I won't be able to run in the Grand Prix race Friday night (bummer). Worst of all though, I didn't have anything dry or warm to wear after the race and almost ended up in the hospital with hypothermia. My heart rate just a few minutes after the race was down to about 50 and I was stumbling around and slurring my speech and shivering uncontrollably. It was weird but I lived through it. They wanted to take me to the hospital but I declined since our plane was leaving in just a couple hours and after a half hour or so of getting warmed up I was pretty much okay. I'm not sure how to post a picture but if you want to see my lying on a stretcher in all my glory you can see it in my blog... http://www.old-runner.com Dead
        That sounds fun Paul. My first run back in December of 2006 was with my 8 year old daughter running the 5K before Thunder Road, with the Girls on the Run program. I didn't run again until August of 2007 but that run got me off the couch. And...it is still one of my most memorable runs. I have a picture of us on a coffee mug that I use every weekend, so I recommend getting some of you and your family. Speed doesn't matter for sure. My daughter is still interested in running too, which I'm very glad of, and we still run the YMCA track often. Richard, I read your blog earlier. An incredible story, I think, for your reason to run. Congratulations even though you had a tough ending. You still did it in great time and now have some good additional running stories to tell!
        theyapper

On the road again...

Richard - congrats on being a MARATHONER!! Nice way to honor your Mother. I'm running my first in November this year on what would have been my brother's 40th birthday in honor of him. Sorry about the whole stretcher ordeal - glad you're okay now. As a side note, you're really fast for someone who just took up running 8 months ago. Had you ever run before? I love watching your progress. I'm swinging by the store today to pick up the whole family's race packets for the 5k on Saturday. I'm excited, my wife's nervous, and my children are looking forward to the free stuff in their goody bags!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Had you ever run before?
            No, I was never a runner before. Back about 15 years ago I started jogging and I would do about 2 miles 3 times a week but my back started hurting a couple months after I started for some reason and my doctor told me to just walk and see if that helped. I switched to walking and sure enough my back stopped hurting, and I thought my doc was a genius and never thought about running again until last year when my daughter invited me out to run with her and I was surprised I couldn't run more than about 100 feet. She told me to practice up and when she comes back down (she lives in NY) we could run a 5k together so that gave me something to shoot for. The big thing for me was finding out about all the 5k races. I knew there were 5k races because I heard about them in passing but just thought there might be a few scattered throughout the year and they probably just included young athletes and that somebody my age wouldn't fit in, but when I found out that there were age groups and everybody was welcome to compete against other people their own age that got me pumped up. Nothing like a little friendly competition!