TWHgal 25.3 mi
    CS_2013Tobacco 25.1 mi
    Tar Heel Mom 19.0 mi
    nanxin 18.0 mi
    aponi 10.3 mi
    fraggle 7.1 mi
    Joe in Raleigh 3.0 mi

Last week's racing:

<colgroup><col width="80" /><col width="78" /><col width="175" /><col width="39" /><col width="148" /><col width="88" /><col width="58" /></colgroup>
    RUNNER DATE RACE DIST LOCATION GOAL RESULT
    Last week:            
    CliveF 22-Dec-12 Mt. Mourne Christmas Elf 5k Mt. Mourne NC PR (<19:28) 19:26, 16OA, 2AG
    old-runner 22-Dec-12 Mt. Mourne Christmas Elf 5k Mt. Mourne NC <22:00  21:30, 28OA, 3AG 

This week:            

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

aponi

never runs the tangents

Has anyone been through Freedom Park? I took the dog for a walk there in a break in the rain yesterday and there is a tree down actually in the pond.

sad face

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Has anyone been through Freedom Park? I took the dog for a walk there in a break in the rain yesterday and there is a tree down actually in the pond.

I used to run through Freedom Park a lot (I would park at the park entrance on Princeton and run through the park and then out to either Dilworth, Queens U or uptown). A big tree? Were there high winds here with the storm that came through on X-Mass (I was in NY, could see that storm and "ran through it" on Wed -- 15-20 mph winds gusting to 40 mph with heavy snow and then sleet, my first 6 miles were not that bad other than either running on 2" of snow or ice wherever anything was shoveled, but when I turned back the last five miles were a horror show with wind-driven sleet directly in my face).

Rob

aponi, I ran around the park but not through it and missed it.  I know the winds got tough this week.

theyapper

On the road again...

Bad week for me.  Got the flu and will end up missing 3 runs.  I guess it's better now than on Race day.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Bad week for me.  Got the flu and will end up missing 3 runs.  I guess it's better now than on Race day.

Sorry to hear about your bout with the flu Paul. I got a flu shot yesterday and the doctor told me it takes about two weeks to start working so I'll probably get the flu sometime next week. What "Race day" do you have planned?

Anybody considering the New Year's Ultra Run in Morganton on Monday? I'm planning on going up and running the half marathon. You can choose either a 24-hour, 12-hour, 6-hour, full marathon, or half marathon. Time goal for me is just to crack 1:40... trying to put the Huntersville Half behind me. Still feeling good with the vegan diet and hoping it'll help with my running times eventually.

http://www.leetiming.com/FPNYU.html

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

theyapper66- I hope you get feeling better.  This has been a horrible flu season.  I work in healthcare and it's been non-stop for us.

Richard- I just learned about the 24 hr race in Morganton a few months ago. I would like to do it next year (maybe the 12 hr option)  This year is out of the question.

I finally decided to get my wimpy butt off the treadmill today and run outside.  I drove to Cherry Park in Rock Hill and knocked out a 7 miler.  Only to come back to my car and "accidentally" lock my keys in there while I was cooling down and stretching.  I haven't done that in years!  Anyway, I think it's time for some football!  Hope everyone has a great week.

Cindy 

old-runner

Cindy... So you live in Rock Hill?  Do you know Bill Weimer? He's a good friend of mine and lives in Rock Hill and does a lot of ultra races like you apparently do.

No races for me this week Richard. Next up for me is most likely the trail race at the White Water Center in January.

Congrats on your 200th race!

MTA: Paul. sorry to see you are sick.  Good luck getting over the flu.

Paul, sorry to hear you came down with the flu (did you come down with it now or last week)? Wearing your Newtons when w/the flu will keep your body on a level plane and help with minimizing the time your sick (or so I have heard).

Richard, that Morgantown race is that race on a greenway or park where you run laps (its almost 1600 meters). No races for me this coming week also.

Cliff, just noticed but was your 5k at Mt. Mourne a PR? Still doing the plyometric workouts? So you actually ran 16+ miles on X-Mass (are you single now or do you go over Clive's house for dinner?)?

Rob

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

Richard, I live closer to York but it's basically still Rock Hill.  I don't know him, but I'm pretty new to the ultra/trail running scene.  I'm thinking about volunteering to help at the 50k in Ft Mill in Feb.

Question:  The Charlotte 10-miler in Feb, what is the running surface like?  Is it paved or trail?

Cindy 

Question:  The Charlotte 10-miler in Feb, what is the running surface like?  Is it paved or trail?

Cindi, the Charlotte 10 miler starts on the road for abt 2 miles, your then on the McMullen greeway for almost 6 miles (the first 3/4 mile is packed dirt trail, the next 5+ miles are on asphalt trail or wooden bridge sections with the the wooden sections comprising about 20%), and then your back on the road to the finish. If you want to preview the course, you can run a long run by driving to and parking at the Earth Fare shopping lot in Ballantyne (there is ample parking here), and then run up Johnston Rd to Rt 51, take a left, and then 1/4 mile take a left onto the greenway, run the length of the greenway (5.85 miles) to Trader Joes, and then back on the greenway to Johnston Rd (and back to Earth Fare) -- that gets you about 10 miles. You can't run the actual course as the course takes you on Elm Street after the greenway and that road has traffic and no shoulders.

Rob

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

Thanks Rob.  I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to bust out my trail shoes for the race if I decide to run it.  Sounds like my road shoes will be just fine.

Cindy 

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, all, for the well wishes during my bout with the flu.  Thankfully, i caught it quickly - called in a Z-Pack - and today feel almost back to normal.  I'm just a bit bummed about the lost runs and mileage, but no biggie.  Live to run another day!

And Richard, you had asked about race day. It's not until March 9, so plenty of time to make up for the missed 3 training runs.

Happy New Year's Eve Eve!!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Cliff, just noticed but was your 5k at Mt. Mourne a PR? Still doing the plyometric workouts? So you actually ran 16+ miles on X-Mass (are you single now or do you go over Clive's house for dinner?)?

Been out of town and just noticed this.  I didn't get to run Christmas Eve, and when the window of opportunity presented itself Christmas Day ... I pounced.  Hard.  The family (immediate and in-laws) went to my SIL's for more present-opening and dinner while I ran.  Naturally, I ended up taking too long.  Oh well.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau