Charlotte, NC area runners

What's Up? (Read 282 times)

old-runner

Hey... where'd everybody go? Hope everybody didn't fall of the wagon or get hurt! Anybody else run the Greek Fest 5k the other day? It was a good 'un. Flat as a flitter, and you know how flat a flitter is (what's a flitter?).

I'm heading for the Midnight Flight 10k in Anderson SC this Friday night... the race starts at 11 p.m. Maybe they'll let me wear my jammies.

So what's everybody else up to?

Hey Richard.  I ran the Greekfest Course too.  Unfortunately it was tonight and not timed.  ha.  I saw your run on your blog.  You were flying as usual.  Great run.  I wasn't able to make it this weekend.  I probably won't race again until LungStrong.

I'm feeling better and better with my leg and really enjoyed tonight's run.  We start at Charlotte Running Co and slowly run to the start line, then the 5K course, then cool down back to the store.  4.6 total.  I will probably run 8 on Wednesday which will be the most I've run this year other than the March Racefest half.  I'll end up with 18 - 22 and plan on slowly increasing my miles now. 

old-runner

Hey Lynwood... Glad to hear the leg's feeling better. I envy all of those good running places you have right there in Charlotte. I'm also amazed at how they managed to string together 3.1 miles of almost flat streets right there in Dilworth for the Greek Fest 5k... who knew? I'll look forward to seeing you at LungStrong if not before. You oughta try to make Hit the Brixx if there's any way you can. It's really a good one too.

under a rock

I've been keeping my miles low. I went back to the Dr. yesterday to check on my IT band. He was very pleased with the improvement in the flexibility of it. He wants me to only increase my mileage by 5-8% a week. We discussed what the next steps are if I'm still struggling with the tightness in a month. I'm very pleased with my Dr! I also love having my Garmin so I can make sure I'm keeping myself slow.

Last Wednesday morning I hosted a run for the Gastonia club and we had one person show up! I enjoyed her company. She was slower than me so it was great to have her to keep me in check and she said I helped to push her a bit. She's planning on being there tomorrow. Hopefully we'll have some others show up too.

I saw Shashi running across Garrison yesterday on his way to run the green way.

I actually ran the Labor day 5K course yesterday.  I couldn't pass up a cool sunless afternoon. 

Ashley you probably saw me on my cooldown on the greenway after running the course.

Yes that course is a bit confusing, without anyone directing the runners (I can see where Richard got lost).  I was pleased with my time for that course (about 27 minutes) after my disappointing time at the Greek festival.  The hill at the begining is a good one, but I think this is a PR course if the weather cooperates.

old-runner

Glad to hear things are going good with your doc Ashley... that 5-8% sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try to make the run tomorrow morning. I'll be happy to run slow and also to push Emmett.

Shashi... I wish I knew you were running the Labor Day 5k route yesterday. I went over to the greenway and considered it but at the last minute I just ran the greenway instead. I'll see you and Tammy at the greenway this evening at 7 if you can make it.

A big Doh!  I went to MRP last night and was wondering why nobody showed up for a nice cool evening run.  I didn't get do speedwork as planned, but was able to run a few miles at a faster clip due to the cooler weather.
                old-runner

Oy... so you ended up at Martha Rivers? That's where we should have gone. Tammy and I ran with Carla for about 30 minutes who was starting the Couch-to-5k then we ran the greenway. By the time we got back to the car it was completely dark. We decided to switch the Tuesday evening run back to Martha Rivers starting next week since it's getting dark earlier and there are no lights at the greenway. Hopefully we'll all get together then.

I ran with Ashley and two new girls in the running club (Tina and Lisa) this morning at the greenway. It was good and Ashley's making progress with recovering from her ITB problems.

Hope ya'll had a great week of running.  I didn't do anything but run easy this week for every mile I ran.  And I can now say that for the first time since I can't remember, I had a week where I wasn't in pain.  Enough said for my week.

old-runner

Hey Lynwood... glad you're back in circulation again! Take it easy with the mileage and build it back up slowly.

Great week for me. I got 2nd in my age group in the Asheville Citizen-Times Half Marathon yesterday! Humongous hills and I walked 17 times, but apparently everybody else (except one other guy) walked 18 times (or ran like they did).

After the race we walked back to our hotel several blocks away from the HM and right next door was the Blue Ridge Relay finish line! We waited around for a while to see if Shashi showed up and did see several other teams finish but not his. Small world!

Richard, our team got there around 5:30 PM, our second van was slower than projected and we were 3 hours behind schedule.  That second van had a few runners who got sick with fear running during the night (bunch of backwoods yahoos messing with the runners), and a couple of them were not even going to run their next leg, but once the sun came out and they got a small nap, they improved and we finished.   We were 5th or 6th from last at that point, but our runners thought they were last and noboby was behind them.  The van should have followed them or one of us should have run with the girls.  Running in pitch dark conditions with not many runners around, in the mountains through back roads can scare the toughest runners.

It was an awesome experience.  My third leg was very beautiful running along a river.  Here are a few pictures I took while not running.  Should have carried my phone with me while running to capture the views.

http://picasaweb.google.com/<wbr>shashibathula/BRR_2009?feat=<wbr>directlink

under a rock

Sounds like Richard and Shashi had exciting weekends! Congrats to both of you!

My ITband is recovering well. I've been doing a lot of trail running, keeping my miles low. I'm really enjoying the trail running. The bonus is that my IT band is less irritated with trail running and I've got high hopes that I'll make it to the Virginia Creeper Marathon next spring!

I've got the Run Like a Girl 8k this weekend at the White Water Center. I'm planning on walking the first mile then do a nice easy pace to the finish.

old-runner

Nice pics Shashi! Looks like it was a lot of fun except for the hillbillies! I don't feel too bad about leaving the finish line now that I know you didn't get there for 6 hours after I left.

Ashley... wish you could have made it to the half marathon like you had originally planned. It was a beautiful run (except for the hills) and the weather was perfect for a race. Good luck in Saturday's race!