Charlotte, NC area runners

Week Ending 29JAN2012 (Read 210 times)

Placed 36th overall and 1st in Age Group at Winter Flight 8k (2012 NC championship for 8k). Goal was to run this as a hard tempo in the 6:50 to 7:00 range & run "under control" up the hills.. Actual was a 35:04 where I felt very flat and ran this with a huge negative split (7:12/7:12/7:15/6:52/6:31). Ran "too much under control" but I had nothing at the start.

Caveat to this is that as I type this, I have my TENS machine running max. I ran this on a torn quadriceps on the lateral side. After my workout on Mon, it felt like I tweaked something in my right knee and IT band (leg felt unstable and felt pain in my femur), on Tue it hurt more, I rolled it each nite thinking it was my IT band and would feel ok by the next day. But yesterday at a business lunch everybody was asking why I was "hobbling" (I did not realize I was hobbling). After this race (and after the awards), drove down to the Nike Factory Store at Concord Mills and when I got out of my car, I couldn't put weight on my right leg for about 3 minutes (felt like it was broken...but recognized this was similar to when I tore my right quad on the medial side (when I dug into the pain spots in my quad w/my fingers) in early Nov (muscle contracts and pulls on tendons above knee and along side of leg causing pain). Hopefully, this is similar and I can get a PT appointment Monday and only be out a week or less.

I'll let Richard post but suffice to say that the only time I saw Richard was at the start where I could only see the logo on the back of his Spira Stinger XLTs (and hear him for a short time going "boing boing" way ahead of me).

Rob

old-runner

Sorry to hear you got all hobbled up again in this one Rob, but congrats on the 1st place age group finish!

That must have been some other old man you saw bouncing up ahead in the Spira Stinger XLT shoes... I didn't want to mess them up in the rain so I wore my Montrail trail shoes instead! Rob, I didn't see you at all until the race was over. I finished 26th overall at around 34:05 but still haven't seen the official results. I started out with Butch Holt and William Walker, who I'm pretty sure are the two fastest guys in the state in the 60-64 age group. I went out ahead of them and knew I'd see them again and sure 'nuff they caught me and passed me about 3 miles into the race. Butch was determined to stay right in back of William until the last 50 yards of the race then beat him in a final sprint and he did that. I actually caught back up them around 4 miles in and passed them up but couldn't shake them at all. I was almost positive they'd both catch me and pass me as we rounded the track at Catawba College and I could hear them in back of me in the final 50 yards. I didn't look back at all but gave it all I had and managed to beat Butch by about a second an William by a little more. I'll be going into their age in about 3 more weeks! 

Richard,

the congrats is to you...you ran a great race! I took some editorial license btw, I was about 2-3 rows behind you at the start.

Lynwood,

running those long runs w/you helped today. I was running w/this guy fr about the 1/2 mile mark, generally behind him, so at about 4 miles I'm a little ahead. And I'm listening and started to hear his foot falls get louder and louder (he started to land on his heels and w/the wet road it made a "splosh" noise). So immediately I thought of you (when I start hearing you do that & point that out), and then accelerated ahead knowing he was tired.

To everyone,

ok...so I happened to read Cliff/Clive's log today (Sat), and I'd like to get the group's feedback on it.  If you read his log, I wasn't sure if Clive/Cliff or Bear was the one that needed to go over the first 2.3 miles of their run, and whether it was Cliff/Clive or Bear that did what he did after that (at the 2.3 mile mark and while running no less). Plus after I read this, and got back to the forum page, I looked to the right where they list all of the different public forums and the most recent post, and like a sign from the Gods, there was a topic called "Underpants" and the most recent post was from Clive/Cliff, so this seemed to be a sign that perhaps Cliff/Clive's post was about himself vs. Bear (and God only knows what this post about "Underpants" was about given Clive/Cliff's log today)?

Rob