Charlotte, NC area runners

Welcome to our newest members! INTRODUCE YOURSELF! (Read 794 times)

Biltmore was closed when I tried to register in about late February.  I emailed the Kiwanis RD, the Asheville Track Club, and one of the charity sponsors, trying to find a back door in.  Followed up a week later with all.  Yes, I was a terrier with my jaws clamped shut on their pantleg. The RD said they had a waiting list (never heard of that for a road race before!), then emailed me about 4 weeks out to say there was room if I wanted in.

Beautiful and very well-organized race -- the hills killed me, but I really enjoyed it.  I hope the Kiwanis folks can find a new venue.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Welcome Clive, I'm glad you joined the group.  I look forward to seeing you at a race sometime.
      theyapper

On the road again...

Welcome to chuckplayer and CarolinaBlue.  Great to have you aboard!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

rossruns

Hi folks! I used to run in high school & college, but only sporadically after.  Then in February I ruptured my Achilles Tendon, had surgery, and was only just given the go-ahead to start running again in November.  I'm slowly getting back into it and building up my endurance with the hopes of doing some 5K and 10K races next spring once I'm sure my leg is back to 100%.  I'm using RA to log my efforts in an attempt to keep me motivated with my progress.  Working so far, I must say!

-Ross

Welcome Ross.

theyapper

On the road again...

Great to have you here with us, Ross!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Hi Ross... Glad to have you! Good luck with the running and the injury recovery! Hope you'll keep us up on how you're doing and join us at some of the local races!

Good luck with the recovery and welcome to the club.

under a rock

Welcome  to the group, Ross!

atomno2

I'm Adam and live in the Hickory area, but work in the Charlotte area.  I am currently training for my first half and so far so good.  Less than a month to go!!

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

Welcome aboard, Adam!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Hi!  My name is Scott -- just moved to the Concord area about a year ago, but have lived "around" here since the early nineties.   I do most of my weekend runs on and around the greenways in Davidson and Mallard Creek/Clarke creek.  Short term I've got the Blue Ridge Relay ahead.  And long term,  I want to run a fast (BQ) marathon - when I'm ready.   Hope to see you all out on the roads and trails. 

old-runner

Hi Scott... thanks for joining us... glad to have you!

Hi Scott.  Welcome.

I'll be running the blue ridge relay too on an Ultra team, what team are you on?  Hope to see you there.

cnbaucom

Hi folks,

I'm Chris and I've lived in Gaston County pretty much all my life (except for a little 4 year world tour courtesy of the US Marine Corps). I've been a runner of fluctuating levels of commitment since 1976. I'm rapidly approaching my 28th year of marital bliss Wink and have one grown son who would very quickly be running circles around me if I could motivate him to get off his rear. He was a very good soccer player in school and was always a "natural" runner.

I've come pretty much full circle from running to cycling and triathlon, and as of last year began to refocus on simply running as I've come back from injuries sustained in a pretty serious bicycle crash in '06. Actually, my injuries from the wreck healed up long ago, but every attempted comeback was quickly thwarted by a series of all-to-familiar training related injuries (and subsequent bouts of laziness). From late 2010 through most of '11 I was finally able to string together a decent string of uninterupted training and was able to get some racing in. Never quite hit the times I expected to, but had some AG success in spite of that. I dinged up my knee pretty good at the end of last summer and missed a lot of the nice fall training weather, but I've been building back up gradually for the last couple of months while trying to deal with a new set of aches and pains. In the immortal words of Mick Jagger, "What a drag it is getting old." Smile

My main interest these days is trail racing, though I'll still jump into a few road races to test the raw speed from time to time when it fits my schedule. The vast majority of my training is kept off road, and my knees and ankles are very grateful.

I guess that about sums it up.

Happy trails,

Chris