Charlotte, NC area runners

Summer Breeze 5k - 06/19/10 (Read 79 times)

old-runner

Anybody else running the Summer Breeze 5k this weekend?

http://www.runforyourlife.com/CharlotteRunningEvents/2010CharlotteRunningEvents/SummerBreeze5K.htm

It's a good one that starts and finishes at Freedom Park with separate races for men and women that start 30 minutes apart. 

I'll consider this one Richard.  I might be worn out from the Miles of Mooresville though.  Good luck!
        I am torn between Miles of Mooresville and this. Maybe I'll do Summer breeze and do the Mooresville thing next month. Racing a mile should be fun, never done it before, just a time trial a couple of times and that hurt.
        old-runner

Happyfeet... I think I'm going to hold off on Miles of Mooresville first time around and go to the second or third one like you might do. I hate to miss the Summer Breeze and you've got a couple more chances for Mooresville.

Lpadg... Haha... I guarantee you'll be wore out if you run Miles of Mooresville on Friday night, especially if you do all three races. Are you going to run Miles of Mooresville all three times this year? If not, just save it for later and do the Summer Breeze. I haven't looked at the dates yet but I'd like to make one of the MoM's this year just to try to get a better time in the mile.

We've got a large running group showng up for this so I'm committed at this point, otherwise I would do Summer Breeze.  And we were meeting afterwards at The Brickhouse Tavern for dinner.  I still haven't ruled Summer Breeze out, but I know my time would not be very good. 

I do plan to run all three months, as I really enjoy this event.   I've tried to figure out why, and I guess it's because it's such a laid back event.  I heard the race director last year talking about how his main goal was just to make sure everybody had fun.  He was picking on a young kid standing at the front running as a bandit.  Then he told three runners who were thinking about trying a team approach to the 3 mile race, they could do anything they wanted.  No awards, (I guess that's the same) so it's basically you against the course. 

Yeah, last year I had very little mileage so running that hard for a mile run did me in for the other two races.  By the time I ran the 2 mile race, I think I went 7:10, 8:10.  It got worse for the 3 mile.  I think I basically jogged the thing at a 9 minute pace much to the delight of my running group.  I got picked on a little for that blistering 3 mile pace.  Just like ya'll, I only care about the 1 mile, and that isn't a "track" time since it's not flat.