Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 8/23/2010 (Read 214 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Last week's totals.  Some very strong running here.  Great work, everyone!
    Name Distance ▼ Time
    Docster 62 Mi 9:07:09
    CarolinaBlue 51 Mi 7:11:16
    CliveFenster 41.4 Mi 5:58:09
    Happyfeet 36.4 Mi 5:59:27
    chuckplayer 31.8 Mi 4:40:19
    old-runner 31.2 Mi 4:53:49
    theyapper66  31 Mi 6:01:38
    runslikeagirl 30.9 Mi 5:56:45
    alholley 18.3 Mi 2:49:30
    cpaterun 18 Mi 2:52:15
    sypniewskij 2.3 Mi 20:43
    Lpadg 2 Mi 14:30

I got a nice, relaxing 3 mile run in this morning.  Looking forward to a good week!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

under a rock

I did my longest run ever yesterday! 17.52 miles on the Ridgeline trail and other Crowders' Mountain trails. The last three miles were tough. I'm ready for some cooler weather.

I've been dealing with an inflamed nerve in my right foot so I've only been able to run every other day which has cut into my mileage a hair. It's slowly getting better each day, less pain/burning the day after each run. The podiatrist said I can run as long as it doesn't hurt. Lots of icing and anti-inflammatories between runs seems to get it to a happy place.

I've been dealing with an inflamed nerve in my right foot ...

pain/burning the day after each run. The podiatrist said I can run as long as it doesn't hurt.

We must have different definitions for "pain" and "hurt".   Hope it gets better!  And congrats on the BIG run!

Paul, I miss your gold star.

Taking an off day today after yesterday's ballbuster workout (a Jack Daniels TLT (tempo-long-tempo)).  Probably some core/abs work tonight, since I've been getting little stitches/cramps the last week or two.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

under a rock

We must have different definitions for "pain" and "hurt".   Hope it gets better!  And congrats on the BIG run!

LOL. I don't run until the pain subsides, which at this point lasts less than a day. As long as I wake up and feel no pain I'll run that day. It will feel fine during/after the run, but it's usually the next day that it's a bit bothersome. I'm very pleased with how it feels this morning. It didn't feel this good after a week off so the icing and the anti-inflammatory meds are working. (no, I'm not running while on anti-inflammatory)

The TLT sounds like it would be tiring!

Nice workout Clive, looks like toughing it out on the beach has helped your running. 

I really need to start getting those long runs in, the 14 miler on Saturday just about wiped me out, scared on how I'll go 12 more miles and then the .2 in about 12 weeks time.  My only hope is that the taper and cooler weather might help, but at under 40 MPW, there is nothing to taper from.  Its dawning on me that Marathons are a bad idea with small kids.

Paul, I was testing the Private Workout check box, and my little 2 miler on Friday does not show up on my mileage total I guess, even though I can see it on my summary.  
              theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, I was testing the Private Workout check box, and my little 2 miler on Friday does not show up on my mileage total I guess, even though I can see it on my summary.  

That's interesting.  I assumed the checkbox just kept the comments private, not the entire workout, but when I look at your log, it isn't there.  My guess is that when you look at your log, it is.  Not sure why the mileage wouldn't still count towards your weekly total, though.

That probably explains why my weekly total is so low.  I did a 100 mile ultra but checked that private workout option.  Dang.

(hold on, my tongue's stuck in my cheek...)

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I need all the miles I can get, when I saw your tally, I had to go back and check my total. If it's not in the log you did not run it right?  
                    Who is running the Greek Festival this Saturday (if so, how are you approaching the week in terms of training -- business as usual, fine tuning, taper)?  The weather is expected to cooperate (forecast for high 60's &low humidity).
                    Richard - was looking at your blog.  Did you notice how your form has significantly improved in the picture fr Jun-09 (China Grove) vs. your recent race?  In Jun-09 your sprinting to the finish:  your leaning backward, body is straight, heel striking, landing foot is landing about a foot in front of your center of gravity and landing leg is almost straight on impact (recipe for an injury).  In the photo from the recent race where your also sprinting to the finish:  your leaning forward slightly, mid/fore-front landing, landing foot is landing almost directly under your center of gravity and landing leg is bent!  If you carried your arms a little higher (so that your forearms would be above your hips & elbow more at a 90 degree angle it would be perfect -- assuming that such a change doesn't alter your form).  I wonder if Steve Staley (I don't know him) has injuries (hip/knee & especially back) given his form (max heel strike, landing leg way out in front of center of gravity and landing leg is straight).

Rob

I plan on running the Greek Festival this Saturday. For me it is business as usual since I don't get that many miles.
                      old-runner

runslikeagirl... Way to go with the 17.52 mile run! 

Happyfeet and CliveFenster... Wish I would have had at least one of you along for the Gastonia Long Run this past Sunday, but I managed to do a solo 12-miler. 

CarolinaBlue... that's an interesting observation about the running form. Honestly though, I don't think my form is any different than it was back then... just the way it ended up in the photo. If I remember right, in the old photo I actually slowed down right at the end because Steve was pushing the stroller and I didn't know him at the time and I felt like a jerk passing a guy pushing a stroller right at the finish line. Haha... now that I know him better I'm more than happy to pass him if I get a chance. He does have some back problems but he's run well over 1,000 races. In that photo of me from Saturday's race, at the moment that was taken I was thinking about how to get around #11, who was right in front of me and I passed within about a half second of that picture being taken. Glad you read my write-up on the race!

If anybody else wants to read about my race this Saturday you can find it here...

http://old-runner.com/2010/08/21/race-99-soldiers-reunion-5k-newton-nc-082110/

It'll go down as one of my most memorable races ever!

Wow...did everyone who ran today feel the difference?  Low humidity, low temperatures.  My shorts were not completely soaked like I had been in a dunk tank (like Clive) .   My shoes were dry when I finished (versus being soaked and hearing the "squishing" noise during each foot landing -- like Clive) . Forecast is for even drier air coming thru at the end of the week -- which should make conditions great for Greek Festival 5k!

Rob

old-runner

It felt great out although I ended up doing more socializing than running because I met up with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. 

Good luck CarolinaBlue and alholley and anybody else who's running the Greek Festival 5k this weekend. I ran it last year and it's a fast one and a good race. This weekend I decided to run the HCA Knights 5k in Hickory though. It's a nice medium size race (about 300) and Hickory's my home town. 

Wow...did everyone who ran today feel the difference?  Low humidity, low temperatures.  My shorts were not completely soaked like I had been in a dunk tank (like Clive) .   My shoes were dry when I finished (versus being soaked and hearing the "squishing" noise during each foot landing -- like Clive) . Forecast is for even drier air coming thru at the end of the week -- which should make conditions great for Greek Festival 5k!

I was almost chilly yesterday morning!  And it's only 68* right now as I prepare to head out.  Brrr!

Forecast for my race is 61* and about 85% humidity.  (*happy dance*)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

under a rock

Yesterday's weather was awesome! My 5am run was almost comfortable. I'm looking forward to the temps for my long run this weekend. Though I have to admit I'm a little gun shy about trusting the forecast this far out since it seems to change drastically. It would be nice to start my long run in the high 60's vs the mid 70's!