Last week's races:            
    old-runner 26MAY2012 Belmont Classic Belmont NC 5k sub-21 21:36

Upcoming races:            
    old-runner 28MAY2012 Cotton Row Run Huntsville AL 10k sub-45 45:32
    old-runner 02JUN2012 Charity Chase Hickory NC  HM

Soft goal = sub-1:45

"Real" goal = sub-1:40

1:38:50

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm just happy to be in that snapshot, Cliff.  I'm thrilled with the growing consistency in my running.  Not so pumped about it being 70° and 100% humidity during the morning runs, though.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Yeah, I'm not digging it, either -- the humidity especially.  The temps got to me on my Sunday run, which out of habit I did without water or gels.  Oops.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Richard, I don't think getting older is affecting you, I think the warmer weather has got a lot more to do with the slower Belmont time than age.  

This weekend runs for me were miserable. Couldn't come close to last week's pace on my Saturday Tempo run and the Sunday easy run was a min/mile slower at higher HR.  

I thought I was "escaping" to slightly cooler temps in NY -- yesterday was brutal for May 28 -- 90 degrees, high humidity, sunny w/a cloudless sky, felt like a Burma death march.

Richard, how did you finish up in the Running Journal Grand Prix? How were the conditions in Huntsville on Monday for that 10K (is that the 10K with that severe uphill where you posted the link to the video fr last year)? How did you race it (even splits? negative? go out fast (again))?

Rob

theyapper

On the road again...

If I remember correctly from his blog write-up, I think Richard ran his race in the 45 minute range.  Good enough for 2nd or 3rd in his AG.

Did 2:30 minute repeats this morning.  Warm, but it's over.  Water the rest of the day!

Paul

old-runner

The Cotton Row Run was okay... I finished in 45:32, which was a little slower than I wanted but I had to stop and tie my shoe along the way (first time that's happened). It's always hot down there but I like that so I can't complain. I was 3rd of 49 in the 60-64 age group although I got the 2nd place award at the awards ceremony. Somehow the 1st place guy was overlooked at first. Seems like that same thing just happened a month or so ago but pretty much everything's a blur to me at this point. 

I won the Grand Masters Championship of the Running Journal Grand Prix, which is what I was after, so that's nice. Lucky for me the fastest Grand Masters runner in Alabama didn't show up or he would have gotten it instead, but as they say, "You must be present to win." 

Did 2:30 minute repeats this morning.  Warm, but it's over.  Water the rest of the day!

Nice workout Paul, looks like you did not lose any speed with your time off. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice workout Paul, looks like you did not lose any speed with your time off. 

When I first started back, I was pretty sluggish, but I noticed that adding a quick-paced 5 minute warmup walk before each run helped me run faster.  Weird.  The speed feels pretty good, but I can't hold it very long.  Wink

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Hope you guys got out early when it was upper 50s. I didn't. Joking

Still had a nice run, but 50s would have beaten 70s.

Paul

Yes this morning 2 X mile workout was warmer on the second repeat, warming up with the sunlight.  Was supposed to be 2 X 10 min @ 5K pace + 30 sec, but just did not have the heart to do that, settled for 2 X mile at 5K + 30 (I think)

old-runner

Nobody else racing this week? Put me down for the Charity Chase Half Marathon in Hickory. Since I haven't been reaching my goal the last couple races I'd say my goal for this one is 1:45. Secretly (or not so secretly) I'd like to break 1:40 but this is a tough course with hills galore and in two previous runs I haven't broken 1:40 so it's doubtful I can do it now. Not sure why I do this to myself.

Next week is the China Grove Main Street Challenge on Friday night... hope some of you are making plans for it! 

Richard, no races for me this weekend. Debating about the China Grove 5k or the Sunday Long Run's half marathon next weekend. Or both? Not sure my legs will handle both in the same weekend.
                            theyapper

On the road again...

I'm planning on running the Main St race.  Probably nowhere near as fast as I've done it the previous years, but it's a great race.  I'd hate to miss it!

Paul

Hmmm ... I'm on my own that long weekend and now considering the China Grove race.

How are y'all getting there?  Maybe we could carpool?

-- Dick LeBeau