amlinz 16.9 mi
    fraggle 12.3 mi
    alholley 11.3 mi

Are we even racing?

RUNNER DATE RACE LOCATION DIST GOAL RESULT
    Last week:            
    old-runner 11AUG2012 Rock 'n' Run Charlotte NC 5k ???  DNS

This week:            
    atomno2 18AUG2012 Soldiers Reunion Newton NC 5k ???  
    old-runner 18AUG2012 Too Hot To Trot Indoor HM Winston-Salem NC HM    

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

atomno2

Running Old Soldiers Reunion on Saturday in Newton.

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

That's more like it!  I'd race, but I'm still just plugging away, dialing up the mileage and managing the patellar tendinitis while trying to get ready for Richmond in November.

How about these cooler mornings?!  I actually had goosebumps SUN morning.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Sunday's workout for the mile training has me groaning getting up off a chair and walking funny today.  The quads do not like me running that fast. Good thing I called it a day after 4 of those and not bulled through another couple.  I was expecting hamstrings to complain more, but I guess the sprint stride is very different than 400 repeats.

old-runner

Running Old Soldiers Reunion on Saturday in Newton.

Good luck Adam! I love that race but this will be the first time I will have missed it. Seems like you ran it last year too. I always love running past the old Catawba County jail. Boy, does that bring back memories. I'm guessing I probably shouldn't have said that. 

I'm running the Indoor Half Marathon in Winston-Salem this weekend at the JDL Fast Track...

http://www.jdlfasttrack.com/index.php/component/content/article/9-uncategorised/78-photos

I'm kind of excited about it... Should be fun and confusing all at the same time. Not sure how they're going to count laps but I ordered a foot pod for my Garmin to see if that might help me keep up with myself at least.

I'm not sure about a goal as far as time. Might be slow because of all the turns but it might be fast because of the Mondo surface. Then again I'm not in the best shape ever either... first time I've missed 3 straight weeks of racing since I started running.

Shashi... You should have run with us Sunday morning at the 26.2k... We had about a dozen runners including Coach Mike.

atomno2

Old Soldiers is close to the house and I have family that is running as well.  I am not in any kind of race shape, but i hope to run 26:00 ish.  I am on the ramp up getting ready for thunder road half.

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

Shashi... You should have run with us Sunday morning at the 26.2k... We had about a dozen runners including Coach Mike.

Hey Richard, this comment led me to your log and the SUN entry (which was shorter than 26.2 km, FWIW), which let me notice the Nike Zoom Streak XC's you long-ran in, which led me to your equipment list, which prompts the question:

You have seven pairs of shoes, each with <100mi on them and all of which have seen action as recently as May2012 (most were used in the last two weeks).  What's up with that?  Did you get in a shoe-testing program?

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Clive... You know more about my shoes than I do! Thanks for the information!

I just switch around a lot. I do wish somebody would pay me to wear their shoes but that's not likely... maybe somebody would pay for me to NOT wear their shoes.

I really like those Nike Zoom Streak XC's and they were cheap -- $33.05 a pair with shipping on a closeout from Running Warehouse -- so I bought 3 pairs (haven't listed or worn one pair). 

I usually pick a pair of shoes to run in that serve a purpose if I happen to have a purpose. Yesterday I wore the Spira Stingers out to the track because I thought it might rain and I didn't want to mess up some of the other ones. Shashi accused me of cheating and tried to ban me!

Richard/Shashi -- I can see doing speed work once a week every three weeks on a regular cycle or once a week for perhaps a period of three or four weeks if your focusing on a 5k or whatever, but your group seems to be doing this every week for the past 8-10 weeks? And given that your group is a collection of older runners who have no formal (HS/college) background, doing continual speed work like this seems to be a recipe for disaster (and injury)? What gives? The only thing I can think of is that your focusing on increasing speed so when you run at Rankin you can outrun the skeet pellets from the nearby shooting range?.

Rob

Rob I am starting to wonder the same thing, not injured but feeling litlle aches n pains that I did not have before. I got a mile TT to run in a month, will keep doing these workouts till then, then still go out to the track to socialize and have fun watching folks run around in circles.
                      old-runner

Ah yes, the plot does thicken. I didn't say I ran 26.2k (which is I think 16.28 miles or something like that). We had an organized run the day of the Olympic marathon that was called "The 26.2k Run" and it was supposed to be 26.2k and some people ran that distance, but not everybody. All the people I ran with (there were 10 or 12 of us) knew, because I told them in advance, that I wouldn't be running that far but would probably run about 12 miles, which is what I did. I wasn't aware that I needed to explain it to the rest of the world. If I wanted to lie about it I could have written any amount that I wanted to in my log. As always, I just put in what I actually ran and really didn't give much thought to whether or not anybody would approve of it.

As for jail, I thought it was common knowledge that I was a juvenile delinquent when I was young. Now that I'm older I'm no longer a juvenile but might or might not still be a delinquent although the worst thing I can remember doing lately was to wear the Spira shoes to speed work. Oh, by the way, there might have been some taxpayer subsidy going on but back in those days in Catawba County you paid room and board when you were in jail. There was a fixed amount per day and when you got out they presented you with the bill, and yes, you had to pay it.

As for speed work every week, I think it's done in a pretty logical way and it's under the supervision of the head track and cross country coach at Belmont Abbey, who seems to know what he's doing. For me personally, for about the past three years I've always tried to do 2 fast days each week and the rest are slow days, so I've got 1 race and 1 day of speed work. I don't see that as anything dangerous at all. Seems pretty logical.

Rob, you said something about a "slip" on Monday and googling behavior on ex cons. I'm not sure what you're talking about with that so fill me in if I'm missing something.

Hopefully that covers everything. If not, feel free to point out any discrepancies. 

theyapper

On the road again...

I have nothing to add to this thread except that I ran.   Very early.  In the dark when most cons are committing crimes.  My only crime was missing 1:40:00 of sleep.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Richard's only crime I know  was the all yellow outfit he was rocking on Tuesday. He could wear that in the dark and light the way for all other runners behind him.

Yo, sound the bell, school is in, sucka

[MTA because I just learned that the yellow Power Ranger is female.!]

-- Dick LeBeau

Regarding the speed work -- its more about the quality (and frequency) and one's definition of speed work (which I would define as 1 mile pace or below but also put 3k pace in here).  It appears that your group is doing short segments (600's, 800's, 400's, 3 min, 2 min, 1 min) and it would appear that runners are going faster than 5k pace for these (which means these are essential all speed or fast intervals -- very anaerobic). When doing "short" distances like this it is difficult not to run fast especially running with others since it becomes competitive whether you agree w/that or not (i.e., your told to run at 5k pace but you end up running at 1 mile pace). Work at this pace tends to be stressful. In addition, I think the track your running on is asphalt which makes it worse. I think I saw one time you did four or five times 5 minutes or 4 minutes (which would be about 1k), but I see more shorter segment interval work.

Rob