Charlotte, NC area runners

Week Ending 03JUN2012 (Read 223 times)

Paul -- soak in an Epsom salt bath; lay down with your feet/legs propped up against the wall; go get a massage!

Shashi -- I'm volunteering at the PYP on SAT.  (I hope I can up early enough!)  If you don't make China Grove, the PYP 5k is supposedly a creampuff and the 10k a ballbuster.

I was idly daydreaming about our Charlotte NC Area Runners group getting singlets, and what kind of cool acronym we could come up with.  The best (worst?) I got was Charlotte Area Running Team -- simply shortened as "ChART" and pronounced "shart".  Top that!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

I was idly daydreaming about our Charlotte NC Area Runners group getting singlets, and what kind of cool acronym we could come up with.  The best (worst?) I got was Charlotte Area Running Team -- simply shortened as "ChART" and pronounced "shart".  Top that!

How about Hornets?

Bring back the buzz and all that.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Folks probably won't see this in time, but ... I'll be in that same light blue singlet with hot-pink skulls on it.

Hope to see y'all!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

It was great seeing everyone tonight!  China Grove is a cool race!  Running down the middle of streets at night isn't that new to me, but running 3 miles with a bunch of other people and no traffic was a first.  Fast crowd, too!  The darkness made me realize I'm starting to become too dependent on my Garmin again.  Time to go "blind".

Paul, we missed you.

And not to complain, but ... does anyone else think the times are just slightly off (slow)?  I started my watch at the gun (despite taking maybe a second to reach the line), and the finish-line race clock had just changed from 19:28 to 19:29 as I hit the mats.  I had a tick under 19:29 on my watch ... but the results say 19:31!  Just curious ...

-- Dick LeBeau

Great to see all that made it tonight. I hate that everybody couldn't make it. This is one of the best races in our area in my opinion, though the food was cut back this year significantly.  It reminds me of Queen City Timing's Miles of Mooresville when they had the night time option.

Cliff, I had exactly the same time difference, at 22:30 on my watch and the results show 22.32.  I was wondering also why they would be off.  Not a huge difference, but for those of us that lean across the finish line to make the bib chip pick up quicker, it's important.  Yeah, I did it also.

Bobby had the same 1sec discrepancy, too.  Oh well -- never question authority!

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Good to see everybody at China Grove! Although I'm not usually to fond of night races, it's hard not to like this one. 

I'm not sure about the clock thing. Seems to me that in almost every race my time's a second or two slower than what the clock at the finish says. In this one as in many others there's no starting mat so it doesn't really matter where you cross the actual starting line (which was just a line drawn across the street).

Bahaha... I'm sure my jinx powers has way more to do with your sore knee than the fact that you've jacked up your mileage to over 50 miles a week lately!

Okay, in the true spirit of the challenge as in "Main Street Challenge" I think we should do an age-graded challenge in this race and see what happens.  At least four of us are running and possibly more. Han ran it last year so maybe he'll be back but hasn't mentioned it. Aaron Linz might make a showing as well. I'll go out on a limb and say if Aaron runs he'll beat all of us with or and without age grading. Everybody up for the challenge?

I don't know that we ever formally agreed to anything, but I thought this was funny:

This week:          
                  old-runner 08JUN2012 Main St. Challenge China Grove NC  5k 21:24 (74.95%)
                  CliveF 08JUN2012 Main St. Challenge China Grove NC 5k 19:31 (74.97%)

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Wow, that's close!  And without weight- or shoe-size grading!

I might add that I just plugged those same numbers into the Age Equivalent Times Calculator (compared to a 30-year-old male) on MarathonGuide.com and came up with this...

• old-runner:  17:12
                    • CliveF:          17:18

http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/ageequivalent.cfm

Big grin

That's funny.  I sense a Duel in the Sun a brewin'.

old-runner

That's funny.  I sense a Duel in the Sun a brewin'.

Ha... Not likely... Clive Fenster is much more inclined to train hard when challenged than I am so I don't want to get on the wrong side of him.

Lynwood... In looking at the results I noticed that you and Shashi both outran some pretty fast people at the race... very good!

Agree that this was a nice race, unique in a a few ways, net downhill, wearable shirt, out and back course( my favorite kind) , fast crowd, lot of friends running watermelons at the end to top it all. Richard, thanks but I really thought I had a sub 23:00, even a 22:30 in me tonight, just did not hurt enough and did not get that racing feeling until the last quarter mile, felt like I let one one get away, especially with the cooler weather for a June race.

Thanks Richard, that's good to hear.  Looks like you ran well also.  I couldn't do much better with my current mileage, so I was happy. 

You still running the half tomorrow?  You gonna take the donut challenge while running?  Should be some good stories.  I'm not a morning person, but I might make it tomorrow.  I haven't done any long runs since the Myrtle Beach half so I might be jogging by the end of it.

old-runner

You still running the half tomorrow?  You gonna take the donut challenge while running?  Should be some good stories.  I'm not a morning person, but I might make it tomorrow.  I haven't done any long runs since the Myrtle Beach half so I might be jogging by the end of it.

I'm running tomorrow but taking it easy... I've had two hard half marathons in the past month and don't need another one that's mostly just a training run anyway. I'm going to try to stick with a 9-minute pace the whole way which would be 1:58. I had told some people I'd run an 8-minute pace and went out today and ran 2 miles at an 8-minute pace and it just seemed like a bit much... too close to race pace for me. I'm hoping I can run with other people who want to stick at about that pace so if that sounds good to you let's do it. It would be kind of cool if we could get a little group of maybe a half dozen people or so wanting to run that pace.

All right, that sounds good to me.  I think I would end up hurting myself otherwise.  I know at least one more that will be glad to also.