Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 9/13/2010 (Read 162 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Once again the gold star goes to...wait for it...Clive.  

I'm so impressed with the consistent running in our little group.  Lots of 30+ weeks every time I post these totals.  Glad to see that the injury bug seems to have moved on quickly, too.

NameDistance ▼Time
    CliveFenster  50.7 Mi 7:24:38
    ChakaKahn 44.7 Mi 5:53:50
    Docster 42.9 Mi 5:59:36
    CarolinaBlue 42.6 Mi 5:37:34
    old-runner 39.2 Mi 5:59:11
    chuckplayer 38.2 Mi 5:20:09
    theyapper66  36.6 Mi 6:21:12
    Happyfeet 31 Mi 4:58:30
    alholley 29.6 Mi 4:40:05
    cpaterun 21.2 Mi 3:26:35
    runslikeagirl 18 Mi 3:30:18
    Onionbag1 2 Mi 18:37

I kicked off the week with a 3 mile recovery run in cool temps.  Felt great.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Nice to see mostly everybody's doing well. I did a 15-mile long run Sunday and hit the wall at about 14 miles but managed to limp my way through the last mile in about 12 minutes. The right knee that had been a problem is pretty much okay, but now the left knee is starting to bother me. I guess the 10k race on Saturday didn't help matters any but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to be in shape for the NYC Marathon in six weeks. I picked up Jeff Galloway's marathon book for a refresher and might decide to do a walk-run and finish with the ladies with sweaters tied around their waist!

under a rock

Richard, I hope you can keep it all together for NYC. Maybe you need to relax your racing schedule and give your injuries a chance to get better? I know it's hard to do since you have your streak of racing every weekend. I would just be worried that eventually it may make such a negative impact that you may have to actually take a good chunk of time off. Better to ease off now and still be able to run while you heal and still be able to make your marathon goal.

Last week ended up being a lot lower mileage than I had expected. It was a recovery week but I ended up missing a day. I ran Tues, took Wed off, then I woke up Thurs with a plan to do 8 miles. I slept in and only woke up when dh's alarm went off at 6:45, I'm usually up by 6:00. After getting ds up, fed, and dressed it was clear I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Before taking ds to preschool I changed out of my running clothes and decided I needed a day of relaxing.

I woke up Friday feeling myself again but didn't run because with all my little injury issues I don't like to chance running the day before a long run. Did 13 mi on Saturday and just muddled through it, wasn't a bad run but mentally just wasn't feeling it. So I ran twice last week, pretty sad.

Thank goodness today's run was awesome, it's nice to be back in good form! The combo of cooler temps and my body feeling really good made for a refreshing run. After today's run I'm feeling really excited about my marathon next month.

I forgot to log my miles.  I think I was around 18 with plans to run 12 - 15 this weekend.  After my WWC debacle last week, and a mild cold, I just didn't run this weekend.  Went at it hard tonight on our legendary 4.44 mile Dilworth Monday Run and ran a training run faster than I've ever run it.  Nothing like cooler weather to help.  I'm heading out west to Reno, NV later this week.  I would love to figure out how to get over to run the trails around Lake Tahoe, but I'm not sure if I can coordinate it. 

Richard, I hope you can keep it all together for NYC. Maybe you need to relax your racing schedule and give your injuries a chance to get better? I know it's hard to do since you have your streak of racing every weekend. I would just be worried that eventually it may make such a negative impact that you may have to actually take a good chunk of time off. Better to ease off now and still be able to run while you heal and still be able to make your marathon goal.

Is it a formal streak, or does it just seem like every weekend?

And funny, but I was reading Richard's post and thinking the same thing!  Richard, predators gathers themselves before the strike.  Let your body do the same.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Lynwood, were you heading up East on the left side a block or two or three above the Shell (on Kennilworth) this evening at around 6:55 pm (wearing a blue top)?  I was cruising down East and that was either you or your doppelganger.  There were several groups of runners in 1-2 packs & after I ran by I remember that you run w/that group on Mondays in Dilworth.

Rob

Hey Robb.  I was wearing a blue shirt, but we mostly run behind Charlotte Running Company and around Freedom Park on Mondays, exactly around that time though. Maybe 14 runners tonight.  Were you on those streets?  I passed by a bunch of different runners on those back streets tonight.  Dilworth must be the running Mecca of Charlotte.  We meet at 6:30 Monday and Wednesday, out front of CRC if you're ever around then.  No need to sign up. Just show up and run.   Informal, everybody runs at their own pace. 

old-runner

Is it a formal streak, or does it just seem like every weekend?

And funny, but I was reading Richard's post and thinking the same thing!  Richard, predators gathers themselves before the strike.  Let your body do the same.

There's no formal streak. My first race was 09/13/08 (exactly two years ago yesterday!) and I ran my 102nd race this past weekend. I actively tried to run 50 races the first year but intended to slow down the second year and just didn't do it. I'm definitely slowing it down this year.There's really no streak though. There have been some weeks where I didn't run a race at all but others where I'd run two the same week.

It's nuts, I know, but I actually had 4 half marathons on my schedule between now and the NYC Marathon, which is just six weeks from now (Asheville CT on 09/18/10, Hendrick on 09/26/10, Bethel on 10/09/10, and the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon on 10/24/10). I told Linda yesterday I was going to skip Hendrick and Bethel and mostly every other race between now and NYC, which is November 7th.

I'd really hate to miss the Runway 5k on October 30th though so I might run that, but it's just a 5k. All of you folks ought to consider running the Runway 5k... it's one of the fastest races of the year. Anybody else running it?

theyapper

On the road again...

I ran the Runway last year and will again this year.  It's a great race.

Paul

It's nuts, I know, but I actually had 4 half marathons on my schedule between now and the NYC Marathon, which is just six weeks from now

Well ... at least you know.

Wink

I'mk no marathon king, but everything I've read says the marathon is not like a HM but longer -- it's a different animal.  Some experienced marathoners tell me that a huge part of taper is letting your body recover and come back to full capacity after the beating that training puts on it.  When you're training, you're just never at full strength -- that's FULL strength, where you can really reach for your potential; you need some taper and rest/recovery.  On a couple of the other folders here, the feeling seems to be that a hard HM even 3-4 weeks out is dicey.

But that's just jibba-jabba. Big grin  You know better than we do how you recover after races, where your aerobic capacity is, etc.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Well ... at least you know.

Wink

I'mk no marathon king, but everything I've read says the marathon is not like a HM but longer -- it's a different animal.  Some experienced marathoners tell me that a huge part of taper is letting your body recover and come back to full capacity after the beating that training puts on it.  When you're training, you're just never at full strength -- that's FULL strength, where you can really reach for your potential; you need some taper and rest/recovery.  On a couple of the other folders here, the feeling seems to be that a hard HM even 3-4 weeks out is dicey.

But that's just jibba-jabba. Big grin  You know better than we do how you recover after races, where your aerobic capacity is, etc.

Yep, I've read all of that and believe it's true. Like I said, I'm dropping two of the four half marathons I had scheduled, leaving only Asheville and Myrtle Beach. Asheville is the second race of the Running Journal Grand Prix so I want to do well in that one and it's six weeks before NYC. The Myrtle Beach HM is something my wife has been training for and is looking forward to. It's two weeks before NYC and I'm thinking about going there and just running what I hope to be my marathon pace (about 8:00 per mile) and taking walk breaks every mile a la the Galloway run-walk-run method. It'll be a slower half marathon I think that'll give me an idea of how things might go in the marathon, and that 13 miles would be a pretty good long run taper two weeks before the marathon if I don't run too fast. Does that make sense?

Perfect sense.

Smile

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

I just realized that I've been posting in last week's forum because it was on top.  I should pay better attention.

3.5 trail miles today with my sons' XC team.  Pretty tough workout.  Looking forward to an easier 7 in the cool morning temps tomorrow!

Paul

Lynwood...thanx for the invite and will keep that in mind schedule permitting.  I love running in the Dilworth area because there is always a "beehive" of activity of runners which is self-motivating.

I'm planning on targeting both the Runway 5k on Halloween Weekend and then the Santa Scramble 5k in Concord on Nov. 20.

Richard...I was also looking at the Hendrick 5k...you ran the 1/2 marathon there last year. It looks like that Start/Finish are the same for both (with the 5k you run into the Charlotte Motor Speedway for a lap and then back).  Is the Start section (the first 1/2 mile) flat or is up a crazy hill or decline (I can't figure this out since Gmap Pedometer can't really calculate the topography since the Start/Finish section looks to be in the parking lot)?  Reason I ask is that I avoid these races where the first 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile (or mile) is up a big incline.

Rob

old-runner

Lynwood...thanx for the invite and will keep that in mind schedule permitting.  I love running in the Dilworth area because there is always a "beehive" of activity of runners which is self-motivating.

I'm planning on targeting both the Runway 5k on Halloween Weekend and then the Santa Scramble 5k in Concord on Nov. 20.

Richard...I was also looking at the Hendrick 5k...you ran the 1/2 marathon there last year. It looks like that Start/Finish are the same for both (with the 5k you run into the Charlotte Motor Speedway for a lap and then back).  Is the Start section (the first 1/2 mile) flat or is up a crazy hill or decline (I can't figure this out since Gmap Pedometer can't really calculate the topography since the Start/Finish section looks to be in the parking lot)?  Reason I ask is that I avoid these races where the first 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile (or mile) is up a big incline.

About the Hendrick race, the course is different this year. Last year it began over by the dragstrip, which is quite a distance from where it appears to start this year outside the speedway. I think the 5k should be really flat except possibly for where you run through the tunnel to get inside the race track (seems like that was a little down and up hip but my memory's a little fuzzy). It should be a good race this year. There's a chance I might still run the 5k this time but I might skip it altogether. Since it's the same weekend as Hit the Brixx there might not be many people there although it's on Sunday instead of Saturday. Last year's race was tiny (I think there were about 40 people in the half marathon) but they didn't advertise at all and said they just wanted to get the kinks out the first year. 

Good to see you're racing at the Runway 5k and Santa Scramble. Those are two races that I'm planning on for sure too. They're definitely two of the best races of the year.