pneriah 18.8 mi
    rossruns 17.9 mi
    Lpadg 8 mi
    alholley 5.8 mi
    fraggle 3.8 mi
    theyapper66 3 mi
    CarolinaBlue 2.2 mi

Last weeks' races, events and moments of significance:

• CliveF -- 25FEB2012 -- Charlotte 10-Miler -- Goal = I really don't know.  Sub-75min?  RESULT = 1:12:01
    • rossruns -- 25FEB2012 -- Charlotte 10-Miler -- Goals = (a) 75; (b) 76:40; (c) 78:30.  RESULT = 1:13:42
    • nanxin -- 25FEB2012 -- Charlotte 10-Miler -- Goal = (a) 75min; (b) 80min; (c) finish.  RESULT = 1:10:06

This week's races and events: 

• ???
    • ???

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Nice racing last weekend, y'all!  Looks like everyone set very soft goals. Big grin

I had an "interesting" race, where my heart-rate strap slid down to my waist and jangled around for 9 miles, and a bad stitch/cramp struck at 6.5mi and added a couple minutes to my overall time.  I thought the Start2Finish guys did a pretty good job with it, especially for a first-time event.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

nanxin

I had 9.96 miles on my Garmin, this is the first time I read something shorter than the stated distance from the race. Cliff and Ross, how many miles on your watch?

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

9.99mi on my Garmin.  I'm pretty diligent about running tangents, too.

I think a lot of people may have cut of a little bit at the turn-around when we came off the greenway.  We were supposed to be going to the right/outside of those cones, but everyone I saw was running inside/left of them.

-- Dick LeBeau

rossruns

I got 9.94 on my watch, and my coworker got 9.92 (I forgot to stop my watch at the finish line until about 30-40 seconds later, but I didn't really move much during that time so I might have had about 9.92 as well).  I stayed on the outside (right) of the cones, but I ran tangents from cone to cone on some of the turns where others around me followed the curb/curve.  I noticed I consistently came across the mile marker signs about 0.1 miles earlier than my watch said I completed the mile, so I was expecting it to be a tenth short overall by the time I hit the fourth or fifth mile of the race.

This was my second Start2Finish event (they did the CRC Trail Race at the Whitewater Center earlier this year, too).  They seem to know their stuff and be on top of things.  I actually emailed them last Friday with some last-minute pre-race-day questions and they got back to me pretty quickly with answers the same day, too.

I noticed I consistently came across the mile marker signs about 0.1 miles earlier than my watch said I completed the mile, so I was expecting it to be a tenth short overall by the time I hit the fourth or fifth mile of the race.

Han and I experienced that, too.  I'm not sure how much beyond the mile markers my Garmin was buzzing with its split, though.  It's possible the markers were misplaced slightly "early", though.  Course certification applies to the start/finish/total, not to any one particular mile marker.  (I've seen some ridiculous marker placements!)

-- Dick LeBeau

Happy Leap Day to everyone tomorrow (make sure you wear blue and gold btw).

Congrats to Clive, Han & Ross this past weekend at the Charlotte 10 miler (sounds like it should have been the 9.9 miler!)! The hill up Elm and in the neighborhood towards the end was probably not very welcome (they should have tried to have you come back on the Greenway down Bevington to where it there are several connectors back to the Greenway).

Richard -- Happy B-day btw.

Rob

Ross, the pictures from the race are up at the photo company's website.  You look like you're killing yourself near the finish!

-- Dick LeBeau

That's some serious air at the finish Ross.  

old-runner

Anybody else race this weekend? I ran the Strides for Seth 5k in Shelby. Thought there would be about 100 runners but there ended up being 374 finishers. I was 18th overall with a time of 20:18 but it was way short... about 2.82. Still it was one of the hardest races I've ever run with the combination of hills, trails, and mud, none of which I enjoy. I did manage to finish 1st in the 60-69 age group... Yep, it's like shootin' fish in a barrel.