Marathon Trainers

5/5 - 5/11 (Read 188 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - hmm... so the goal is to work on pushing your lactic threshhold out farther by running tired?? (i'm still working on getting all the terms and meanings right so I apologize if I bunched a bunch a concepts together) hey where the heck is Mr. I --- Mr. I ARE YOU THERE????

Bugs

Brian! Great Job. Glad you had a good experience. Yup the end is tough, and I swear the first one is harder. Second one you will say to yourself at mile 20+, "Been here before, didn't die, let's go." So are you addicted yet? Shan, Glad to hear your getting some longer runs in. Erika, Is that enough beauty sleep for you? Smile Good job, I'm not a morning person, but if it required to make time for running I do it. You got any good HMs in Alaska in July? Too hot to PR here. I ran 10 miles tonight. Had to get in some miles because Thursday I am running a one mile race. Funny, I can tell you the pace of any of my runs in the last two weeks, but I have no idea what I can run one mile in. Race plan; run as fast you can, then puke.

Bugs

Bugs, absolutely addicted. Even at the worst moments toward the end of that race when everything hurt, I knew I wanted to do more of them. Probably want the next one even worse to prove I can do better. If this one had been easy, what would I have to look forward to? Actually, my next marathon will be slower. Dad wants to run the one here in Tulsa in November and I said I'd run his pace. I'd guess about a minute/mile slower than mine. So, that'll be a different challenge, but very fun. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
          The lawn won out, probably needed another 'rest' day anyhow. I'll get out tomorrow for sure.

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - puking - always good to add to the race plan! Tongue I know what you mean though... it's just a different strategy. People ask me what I can run a mile in all the time and i tell them I have no clue. I know what I can run a handful of miles in, but just one - I got nothing! ohh well I don't know that they are longer - it hasn't actually happened yet. I'm just glad I hit 3 miles feeling good!! Brian I think running with your dad will be awesome! Murphy - it's ok that the lawn won out! An extra rest day after a race is probably not a bad idea! But just know you are out of excuses now Wink
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Yea, I'm here. I've been really stressed about getting ready for Bayshore I haven't felt very social. Last week I tried to get 14 in with the last 2 ar M pace but could only do 13. Partly because I was on the TM and didn't adjust my pace accordingly. I did do 8 REALLY good miles last night, the longest I've gone without walking since I got sick. I could have done 10, probably even 12 without any walk breaks. For my long run on Saturday I'm going to try a Galloway long run - run a mile, walk a minute and see what it feels like. I'll probably use that strategy come race day. I'm finally getting back up to speed. I just wish I had 2-4 more weeks to get close to full throttle. I'll catch up with you folks in a bit.
                Heh..Shan I really wanted to run...really. Looking forward to my run tonight.

Oh Mighty Wing

it occured to me something is missing from this forum... we haven't seen it in a while and so I thought I would do a throw back to the days of ole and WOOT! no real reason... but I have to say that i've increased my caloric intake from 1500 to 2500 and I'M HYPER ALL THE TIME!!!! amazing! Mr. I -- i figured that's what it was... but wanted to make sure you were still with us! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! I'm glad you are back to logging some good miles and I'm sure you will do your best (whatever best happens to be that day!)!!!! 3 miles. Man it's hot in the sun! Stomach got a little upset at some point and we had to walk. But then it felt better! Guess I'm just not use to the heat - oh well.

Bugs

Bugs, absolutely addicted. Even at the worst moments toward the end of that race when everything hurt, I knew I wanted to do more of them. Probably want the next one even worse to prove I can do better. If this one had been easy, what would I have to look forward to? Actually, my next marathon will be slower. Dad wants to run the one here in Tulsa in November and I said I'd run his pace. I'd guess about a minute/mile slower than mine. So, that'll be a different challenge, but very fun. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
                    I'm glad. I feel bad for the people that didn't love it. I'll be curious if you think slower is easier. To me it sounds like a long time to run, and just can't imagine I'd feel better for going slower. But running with your Dad is very cool, you should do it.

Bugs

I'm glad. I feel bad for the people that didn't love it. I'll be curious if you think slower is easier. To me it sounds like a long time to run, and just can't imagine I'd feel better for going slower. But running with your Dad is very cool, you should do it.
                      I also wonder about the people who hate it. You hear about people who just wanted to run one to "check it off the list." So, they weren't properly trained, had a miserable experience, but why wouldn't you want another shot at it? That's what I was wondering. What brings the wall on? Is it running for 4 hours, when I'm burning x% glycogen, or is it running 4.5 hours burning .9x% glocogen? Is there a crossover point where you won't hit it, but you'll just be out there longer? Regardless, I'll run more miles. I think (2) 20s and (1) 21 miler was enough for long runs, but I peaked in the lower 40s per week. I really want to average mid-upper 40s and peak in the 50s. I think that will help, and it's a good excuse to spend more hours on the road!
                      Cashmason

8 miles. Had the hr monitor on, but ignored it, and just ran a fun pace. Much faster than normal, but more tired afterwards too. There are two different meanings to "The Wall". One is where you basically fall over and can't move anymore, the other is just where you run out of steam, and slow your pace way down. The first has to do with calories. Most people carry about 2000 calories of glycogen between their liver and their blood stream no matter how much they weigh. A 150 pound person will burn 100 calories per mile. Thus they run out of gylcogen around the 20 mile mark. So to go another 6.2 miles you need to take in 620 additional calories, sometime during the race. This can be from sport drinks, gels, or anything else you can keep down. But it takes the body at least twenty minutes to digest food and make it available to your muscles. And most of us can only take in about 200 - 400 calories an hour so you need to start eating way before you hit the 20 mile mark. The second has to do with your training and race pace. Most people ( except for Miss Alaska who uses one marathon as a training run for her next marathon) don't train the full 26.2 miles before the race. And they usually hit the wall near distance of their long run for this training cycle. Your body adapts to the stresses put on it. Thats why the second time you do a long distance it is usually easier than the first time you did it. But if you only train 20 or 22 miles, your body will be fine for that, but slow down/ hurt more when you take it beyond that. Its also why you should do about half of one long run at your planned marathon pace. If all your long runs are slow, then your body won't be ready for race pace at long distances.

Bugs

I think often when people say they "hit the wall" I think they just got tired, and they were not in shape to run the distance or the distance at the pace. But truely hitting the wall, means you run out of glycogen. I hit the wall once, I biked 80 miles in the sun with one bottle of water. I had to walk my bike home. I'm pretty sure "the wall" is way out there for me. In a marathon, those last miles your legs and mind are suppose to be fighting on the idea to walk or not, else you could have ran it faster.

Bugs

Well, not sure exactly which one I hit. My longest training run was 21 miles, and my legs were definitely shot right around there. There also happened to be hills during the 20th and 21st miles, so maybe that was part of it. I felt better for the 22nd mile because we got away from the hills and out of the wind (around a lake). So, I ran through a bunch of it until about mile 23, then there was just nothing left. So, it could have been calories I guess. I got a gel down around miles 5, 10, and 15 and also had gatorade at a few stations. So, doing the math, that could have been it. But, good chance I just ran out of gas, and mentally was pretty shot as well. If it were easy . . . Regardless, I know how to fix it. I'm sure I just need more miles. I also liked finishing my long runs closer to MP, but didn't know about it until my last long run. Definitely more of that next time. Thanks for the great info.
                            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Just 4 for me this morning. My HR is finally fully back down to pre illness levels at a given pace. I just wish I had 2-4 more weeks to get ready for this.

Beer Drinker

murph, husker - great job on your races. i think i am going to race saturday. i havent run more than 8 miles at once in three weeks, but my knee has been pain free for 5 days. what the hell, why not just start and drop if it hurts. id rather dnf than not try and always wonder. i also picked up a sinus infection sunday, but it hasnt gotten bad and actually feels much better today, i can bend over and tie my shoes without my head exploding. other than the lack of running, illness, and knee injury, everything else seems perfect for a good race... Undecided its supposed to a nice 75 degrees (last year it was about 90). the family is out of town for a week, so im getting good nights sleep. im driving out to palomar mountain tonight to hang out at 5000 feet for an hour or so (the race is at 6000 feet). friday night i plan on driving my westfalia down to the race start and sleeping there so i can spend extra time at altitude and not have to get up at 3am and drive to the race start. of course, this could all change and i might blow it off all together..
                                Start off easy, then slow down.