Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/17 and sitting at Pam's feet learning from the master (Read 408 times)

Nice Murphy Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Good job on the run, Murph.  Those kind of runs are fun.

Did intervals today - 8x400s - sandwiched between a warmup and cool down.  Felt really good for the most part (other than getting tired as they went on, but we're supposed to, right?).  My last 400 was my fastest with a 6:23 pace.  Now, if I could hold that pace for an entire 5k, I'd almost be living in "Perryland."  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Good Luck at your race Pam. I think you're insane too but I think lots of people here are.

Bugs

Cashmason

Good to hear about the burst of speed Lou.

Going downhill,  or heading to the barn syndrome.... wink.

Great job.

Off to teach cycle.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So are you saying I'm unreasonable Perry???

Maybe I was, but now that you're doing 100K the next weekend after your 50+ mile run, I'm saying you're insane. Have a great race oh hardcore insane one Smile

MTA: 8 quarters with the last the fastest - nice job P!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cashmason

Oh Pam,

I noticed you run in compression sleeves for your calves.

What do you feel they do for you?   Coming from somone who has had calf problems for a while.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh Pam,

What do you feel they do for you? 

I'm curious about this also. Lisa Smith-Batchen was running in two pairs of tights when I joined them briefly a couple weeks ago -- and it was 90s and humid -- she said it was for the compression. I keep forgetting to look up compression and running to find out what the benefit is.

MTA: Found this: http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2007/10/can-your-socks-make-you-faster.html

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Oh Pam,

What do you feel they do for you?   Coming from somone who has had calf problems for a while.

I'm all about trying something that could aid in my recovery. I  wore my calf sleeves for about 40 miles. I took them off when I stopped to have dh take a look at my blisters. I have to say that I'm feeling awesome and only feel like I ran a regular long run so who knows maybe. Anyways now that I'll be doing more "long" runs I'll be wearing them more often and who knows maybe I'll actually be able to form an opinion on them.

MTA: spelling correction

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Great job Paul!!

Thanks Bugs Smile I think those that LIKE 5k's are insane  

Thanks Lou Smile

Today is going to be a rest day. I've got lots of housework to do and the kids have a half day. Guess I should get on it

Kimmie

People who work at my local running store say the compression is for after you're done running, not during.   I could be remembering this wrong.

Off to go work a half day at the school with the wild kids.  I am brave, I think.  Smile

Ran 4.5 miles in the rain-  decided to make the first mile slow, middle two miles medium fast (8:20 or so) and then last mile cool- down.   Very fun.     Apparently I don't melt.

theyapper

On the road again...

Boy, am I feeling the speedwork today.  Went out to do my normal mid-week long run (usu. between 1:15 and 1:30 in time) and I was done in 30 minutes.  Legs are very heavy.  I may rest up some and go out later today and put in another 30-45 minutes worth.  Not sure.

Paul

their intended purpose is to aid in recovery so yes they are mainly for after running HOWEVER they also serve another purpose. Leg warmers lol. Much easier to take them off after your nice and warmed up then worry about changing from tights to shorts. I wear arm sleeves for the exact same reason.

MTA: though arm sleeves are MUCH easier to get off without having to stop than calf sleeves

sounds like a nice easy recovery run is in store for ya Paul if your up for it. If not nothing wrong with that either.

Enjoy your work day at school Kimmie Smile

I think Im finding my running form..The same 4 mile run that I did yesterday--every mile was faster than yesterday. I really wasnt pushing--although it did feel like a bit more of a workout today. Was over 3 minutes quicker than yesterday.

Biggest difference is I had been settling into a shuffle. Now Im making sure I feel more like I am "running" by taking easy but longer strides. I really dont feel like Im working much harder, but more efficiently.

Mile 1: 9:26
                              Mile 2 8:59
                              Mile 3 9:02
                              Mile 4 9:14

theyapper

On the road again...

Looks good Murph.

I went back out this afternoon and did a nice easy 50 minute run.  Tomorrow will be a rest day.

Paul