Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/17-3/23 (Read 205 times)

Well, I'm overtrained or at least, as Pfitz calls it, over reached. Last night I struggled to get to 8 miles. Here's the full story. http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/d4d26039c4da4fb8a1faeb50fb4edec2 ugh
    Mr. I - I think we might be in similar situations. Although I don't have as much quality in my plan, I definitely felt "off" the last week or so. Tossing in that 5k on Saturday probably about finished me off. The last week I've had no motivation, not as much energy and various parts of my legs have started complaining a little. After taking Sunday off, and only running 3 really easy miles on Monday, yesterday felt much better. I've decided to try and get back around 30-32 miles this week, and be ready for next week to be a good one. Luckily, I'm only planning on 12-14 miles this Saturday, so I'm hoping my 2nd 20 next Saturday will go well. I chalk it all up to this being my first time through a marathon plan, and my first time running this many miles. We definitely differ on the need for quality in a plan. You're preparing for your first marathon as well, right? In my head, I still think I have tons of room for improvement without running too many fast workouts. Just building volume should help. Either way, we're probably both learning a bunch about getting ready for a marathon and how our bodies handle the added stress. Just think how easy it will be next time! Good luck getting back to "normal". As if anyone preparing to run 26.2 can be considered normal.

Happy Camper

Your right to back off if you feel you're over-reaching. FWIW I agree with the other thread that morning resting heart rate is the best way to track this. When I enter into this area I have a different experience. My perceived effort will go up during a run while pace slows and heart rate drops. It's like I go into shutdown mode and can not maintain much more than 60% - 65% of HRR though breathing is labored and I feel like I am pushing it. As soon as I cut back or rest I am able to push workouts back over 70% of HRR if I want to. Runners Rage is another good indication. I can get pretty irritable when I begin to over-reach. If you've never established zones based on HRR, http://www.runningforfitness.org/index.php will do the calculations for you. I like it better than using goal paces from sites like McMillian because effort reflects individual fitness and how you are feeling.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Inertia, My first overtraining symptoms are always a couple of nights of restless sleep and a little grumpiness. I think it only takes about a week of too much and boom your nursing some injury or your sick. I struggle with fatigue not hitting until two days after a hard-workout. I've tried really watching pace and that was not enough rest. It looked like you were trying to make-up for a missed workout and maybe it's best to just always let it go. I think Marcus gave you the best advice. P2R, thanks for the bananas. I needed them. Smile Do you log your rest heatrate every morning? Brian, you're doing great.

Bugs

Cashmason

8 mile tempo run today. Mistake, I don't have the base to run that fast that long after a hard workout last night. IT band at the hips hurt during the run. Foam rollers and Erika's cold water bath has that feeling ok now, but the hamstrings are tight.

Happy Camper

Bugs: I take a quasi reading in the morning. Once the Garmin has locked in I'll sit and see what the hrm deadfalls to. Usually it's around 55bpm. When I feel rested it sometimes falls into the upper 40's. 8-miles easy Wednesday after a rest day Tuesday. Best weather for the week is today!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

OMG BUGS!!! you just brought clarity to my life!! The end of last week/beginning of this week I was SOOO grumpy and have been feeling I just wanted to curl up on the couch and not do anything. Which seemed weird because i'm excited about running, it's not that time, and i'm on spring break. But I was talking to my friend about how tired my leg is because instead of just running currently I stretch 2x a day, a little strength training 1x a day, weight train 3/4x a week (2 are legs), and run 3x a week. And she said they're tired because i'm working them more than i ever have... and I wonder if it's just that I've worked them too much! So I took the last two days off. I didn't stretch, strength, or run, and I have to say yesterday evening and this morning I've felt a TON better!! Excited for my run even!! So maybe I overreached and it made me grumpy!
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Second day of rest and I'm restless to go out and nail a workout. Must...be...patient. I'll finish today as a day of rest, hit 6-8 tomorrow and see what kind of long run that gives me on Saturday.

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr I - good job on being patient! I know it is hard, but at the same time it's nice that your desire is back up a little right?? Run today was good. There was one step where I put my foot down and my knee felt like it might give out and then the rest of the run my knee was a little sore. But it didn't get worse and actually was dissipating. Happened to have PT afterward talked to them about it. She said that it is imperative that I strength train and keep those muscles as strong as possible to support the gap in my knee actually in both of my knees because there is a gap in both of them. So I did graduate from PT with the knowledge that strength training is imperative for me. Am gonna go to my follow-up and see if there is a brace I can wear for longer runs to support my knee until my strength is build up. We'll see. Am gonna try to run tomorrow. See if I can do back-to-back runs. If yes then next week I will add a 4th day.

Bugs

Sounds like we are a big group of overreachers. My legs were pretty tired yesterday, I hope they cooperate for tonight's run. Inertia, this two days off will make a big difference. P2R, I am seriously thinking about Des Moines. More and more I want to run a fall marathon, just need to get some good runs in and get my mind feeling better about running. Shan, injury is really stressful, and I think when you're bouncing back from one it puts a whole new psychological stress into the equation. That is why I was concerned about you signing up for a half, may be more pressure than you need right now. Think you are smart to listen to your body and rest when you need to rest. Spent last night just straightening up the house and trying to feel like my life has some order to it. My carpet in the basement still looks spotie but at least it is vacumed. Sad

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

bugs - sorry yoru carpet isn't back to right yet. I'm nervous but not because i'll either be able to do it or I won't you know?? i'll put off signing up for as long as I can and we'll see where it goes. I think if I take it nice and slow it will be ok.

Bugs

Shan, you will be fine. Remember we're zen runners right? Smile

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

YES Yes and you know i really do think that it works!! I tried it this morning and the pain was going away!! But can I be a zen runner with a plan? cause really I love my garmin and like knowing how far i've gone! hehe

Bugs

Shan, yes you can have a plan. Did you look at any of Hal Higdon's plans. I swear for most ordinary humans his plans seems to work the best. I am switching to one of his plans. 7.75 miles tonight. Stopped at the store to get a chocolate milk for recovery drink, walking out of the store took a big swig....YUCK...sour expired milk. Then it started to rain; got that run in just in time. Suppose to snow tonight but it will melt anyway.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning all Shan - good luck on your back to back runs. Make sure they're both easy to moderate. You don't want to stack up too much too soon (Take it from me) Bugs - mmmm, chunky choccolate milk Cash - watch your intensity. It does look like a bunch of us got a little uppity with our training and it bit us in the collective butt. Such a newbie mistake - I thought I was past such things. I used to take karate and often draw parallels between that and running. A black belt is really an advanced beginner and I figured with one marathon to my credit, I considered myself an advance beginner in this sport. Lookng at my log and where I'm at mentally, I'm like 3 belts behind that. Just did 3 easy this morning on the TM. Wanted to do more but stopped there feeling relaxed and refreshed. HR was back down to where it should be for a run like that. Tonight and tomorrow we're getting a snow storm so it's TM for me for my long run (ok by me - had planned that anyway just in case anything goes wrong). I'll be interested to see what tomorrow's run is going to be like - wish me luck. Good runs to all.

Bugs

Oh Inertia I can so relate. With my 1st I was so careful, no problems. 2nd I felt so much pressure to beat my time and I got hurt. With my 3rd I thought I had a good enough base from the 2nd that I'd be fine, felt more pressure to beat my time, and got hurt again. I was in the best shape 2006 my first year of running where I added miles slowly, ran without a watch, and didn't race my long runs. Makes me wonder how many times I will have to mess-up before I learn my lesson. Think that is why I want to run Des Moines without a time goal. Good news we both got lucky, no injuries. You got tired legs, and I got sick. Much easier to recover from than an injury.

Bugs