Marathon Trainers

week of 11/23 (Read 280 times)

Kimmie

Good morning!   Hard 7 miles- wonder what's going on with me?  Am I really out of shape and need to be patient?

Just felt labored and really long instead of easy and short.

hmmm......  

I may get checked after Thanksgiving to be sure I'm not dealing with anything like anemia.  But it's probably just lost conditioning.

Hope you all have a good Thanksgiving!   We're hitting the road for MI today.

Have a great trip, Kim!  It could easily be lost conditioning, but doesn't hurt to get checked.  They say to eat red meat periodically (once a week?) to keep the red blood cells active, but I think women usually take iron supplements as well, right?

Little easy recovery run for me.  I have a turkey trot on Thursday so I don't want to push too hard this week, but I think my 8 or 9 scheduled for tomorrow with a few striders should be fine.

3.1 miles, 28:48, 9:10/mi, AHR 132 (67% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Could be just a bad run Kimmie!  Safe travels!

Hiya Lou Smile

CONGRATS to our newist BQ'R!

Made a deal with RP that I would take the day off. For some odd reason I don't feel like it however a deal is a deal. I'm sure my legs will thank me for it later. Good thing I have lots to do  today. Lots of getting things back into their rightful places and I'll be weight lifting with DH tonight. Maybe I'll even get a nap in sometime today.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving! To those who will be traveling, SAFE TRAVELS!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Dave,

I'm sore like I raced. I have not raced many HMs so it is hard to say, but I think I'm in good condition right now.

Kim,

I agree, can't go by one run.

Home with a sick kid...not sure how sick he is as I hear lots of noise upstairs.

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, my folks used to say we'd get "school bus disease" and as soon as the bus left without us, we'd perk right up. That usually meant we'd get delivered to school later by private auto... Rats.

Kimmie, my legs felt just like lead yesterday on the way back up the hill. Running uphill in that snow is hard anyway, but this was really really hard. I'm blaming lost conditioning, but I've been "off" a lot longer than anyone else here. I did get 18.5 miles in for the week though, my first double digit week in a few. Don't think I'll break 100 for November though. That's depressing...

Pam, a rest day every now and then is not a bad thing.

I was going to head to the gym at lunch, and I might still, but I have to go to the dentist at 12:30... I think I lost a filling or something cuz I've got a big ol' hole in a molar. Doesn't hurt, but I don't want it to break. Funny, never "found" anything in my mouth so I must've swallowed it. Bleh.

Ringmaster

WOW! Congrats on that fast race, Perry! No more details than that you shucked the long sleeve at mile 18? Really? You just went out and blazed a 3:18? Amazing!

Sorry I've been MIA. I used to post from my phone and for the last couple of weeks the thing hasn't been letting me . . . not sure what's up with that. Anyway, it's harder for me to post from my desktop with the animals around, so sorry for my lack of posting. I've been mostly keeping up with your stuff; I can read from my mobile, just can't post.

Kimmie, I'm not feeling great either. After Thursday's aborted run I took off the rest of the week. Figured today I'd feel great, but pretty much right from the start I didn't. I got through the 6, just to see if I was rusty and felt better at the end, but I was pretty slow the whole time and felt like I was really struggling just to get through it. I don't know where to go from here--take more time off, or throw out the rest of the season, or keep struggling and hope for a turnaround before the marathon I have on the calendar for the last weekend in February. Just know it doesn't feel like running is easy right now. I'm getting a little worried b/c it hasn't felt easy for a while--even before the race.

We're taking off for SC on Wednesday--we'll see if a different environment and cooler temps help any.

I hope everyone stays healthy and well.

I found a picture of me running last year's 13.1 Fort Lauderdale. 

This year's are all the professional ones at ASI Sports. Huh. Same shirt. 

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

No comments after Vix posts that great picture?  Smile

BTW, Perry just went out and blazed a 3:16.  I'm still shaking my head over that time.

8.3 miles, 1:07:54, 8:12/mi, AHR 155 (79% MHR)

It might have been a little slower as the garmin was reading a bit long today.  I guess it was because of the clouds?  Light drizzle the whole way -- 45°.  All in all not too bad, though.

No food for me until after a blood test this morning.  I'm going to be hungry by 9am.

Dave

Vixi is now posted to the front page.  That's a great pic.  Do we know your first name now?

Safe travels, Kim.  You're not going to be in the Detroit area are you?

I'm in DC today returning to Michigan this afternoon.  Actually did one of those predawn run things I keep hearing about.  6.12 miles around downtown DC in my old stomping grounds. 

I'm going to be back in DC almost all week next week if anyone's up for a run.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice photo Vixi.

I had a good day yesterday, actually running in the dark before Lou (wow), but a long one -- woke up at 0500 and didn't get to sleep until after midnight. Days with trips to DC or northern VA almost always run way long for me.

I ran most of Rehoboth with Quint, until he took off like a bolt around mile 19; his report is here if anyone happens to be curious. (I haven't written a detailed one yet.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Happy Camper

Looks like everyone is having a great week.  Congratulations on the marathon AP and Vix that is a nice photo.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving week.  I'm headed west tomorrow to Colorado.  Hope to get some good runs in inclucing Garden of the Gods while I'm out.  One long run for sure is driving across Kansas all day. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ok, on the spur of the moment I started to add my comments to that Quint/Rehoboth thread, and it turned into a longer report than his... Apparently I run on when I'm typing, who knew (heh):

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/6e67dd938f184797a3a4d12f65263f96#focus

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Great picture Vix!

How's DS bug's?

I totally agree Erika, though I tend to get the "jitters" when I take them lol Hope all is well with the tooth!

what's the blood test for Lou (if you don't mind me asking)?

Safe travels Dave (btw I wanna be on the home page WAHHHHHHHH lol)

Hi Pace Smile

will be checking that out Perry!

Rainy day here. I'm itching to play with speed though not sure my legs are lol. Have no idea what or how I'm going to run until I get out there. 

Happy Tuesday everyone Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

what's the blood test for Lou (if you don't mind me asking)?

Nope, don't mind at all.

I started a new blood pressure medicine, HCTZ, and they want to make sure my potassium is ok.

Also I had some marginally high blood sugar readings a while back, and they're monitoring me yearly.  I think I traced the problem was that I had a beer too late the night before the blood tests, so it's all good, but they still have me on the schedule so I just do what is asked.

Kimmie

Great picture Vix!   I think that both of us need to figure it out.    I am thinking two things for me.  1. My plan to run my long runs faster this summer was a bad plan.  I didn't feel like I was in good shape going into the marathon.   2.  I think I have lost some fitness, more than I thought I would and I'm impatient to get it back.   But, I think a lot of my issues stem from #1.

I will still get checked out to see about the anemia possibility-   you've been running a lot Vix, so maybe you're deficient in something.

I would say, try not to get discouraged, but getting to a doctor might be worth it.

Today felt hard again. I found myself looking at my watch and thinking , really?  I've only run 4 miles, that can't be right.  Smile 

Maybe I will take the day off tomorrow, haven't decided yet.

Hey Dave, I'm in Howell, MI- which is 45 minutes away from you, I think.  I would say I meet you for a run, but as I've sad, they've been so tough lately.

Perry- off to read you report.

evanflein

Today felt hard again. I found myself looking at my watch and thinking , really?  I've only run 4 miles, that can't be right.  Smile 

Oh man, I've had runs like that. Just hard. I remember thinking I must be at about 5.5 or 5.75 miles when I'd just done 3... That was a bummer (running in a new area so didn't know distances).

I'll have to go check out Perry's report.

Just elliptical and weights at lunch today. Pam, do you do deadlifts? If so, how far down do you go? I always heard don't drop your shoulders below your hips... I'm finding my back is sore afterwards so think I'm not doing them right.

I am really looking forward to the 4-day weekend. The temps should be pretty moderate and no snow forecast so I'm planning on trying to get some miles in.