Marathon Trainers

week of 11/23 (Read 280 times)

I have been doing the 55 mpw plan as I don't have time for the 70 mpw plan (plus I don't want to get injured).  What I have been doing for the past few cycles, though, is run 3 miles recovery (meaning MP + 1:15 or 1:30) on most of the rest days.  I peaked with a 62 mile week before Boston.

I think the key to not getting hurt is to follow the plan, meaning don't run any harder than the plan.  Most of the days are "recovery" which again means MP+20% (for me about 1:30).  Since my MP is about 8:00, then that's 480 seconds, so 20% is 96 seconds or 9:36 for me.  Ok so I might run 9:15 most recovery days, but I think that's ok.

But read Advanced Marathoning and see what you get out of it.

Fargo is May 22 which looks like it's about 25 weeks from today.  I happen to have an excel version of the Pfitz 24/55 plan.  If you're interested send me your email address (you can find mine in my signature line).  NOTE: I may have made some minor changes.  I suggest you get the Pfitz book anyway so you know what the runs are trying to achieve.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

THAT would be so cool Dave & Bugs!!

Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend!!

I had a bit of a scare yesterday.  Met RP to do hill run and a little more than 7 1/2 miles into the run my left foot was NOT HAPPY at all. In the beginning of the run I thought the little soreness in foot had to do with 11 or so hours in sharp toed heels the day before. At the end I was convinced it was broken.  RP ran home got her car and found me almost at the top of the last hill before her house (we never did get to the BIG hills). Now I hadn't had any issue's with this foot since last year.  Anyway I thought for sure it was fractured so got into doc and had it x-rayed. CLEAR thank goodness. Looks like it's a tendon/nerve issue which goes right along with my first thoughts of the heels.  So I'm taking a couple days off up to maybe a week, icing and taking Ralafen and MAY go out for a test run as early as Monday. Heels and my feet just don't get a long and is the reason when I do work I work behind a desk and can wear my born flats.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Bugs, Graston is mainly for soft-tissue injuries. Mine is bone and joint. Anyone comes at my foot with anything hard and I'll clean their clock!

Pam, I used to wear heels all the time. Too narrow, too. That's part of what ruined my foot. I have a ton of beautiful shoes, can't wear any of them now.

I think the Pfitz plan looks very much like what I've done to the Higdon plan. I've adapted it for my needs and it seems to work pretty well. I am guilty of running more than plan, but the Higdon plan as it is doesn't have enough mileage for me. And I don't do "speed work" other than tempo runs and "cruise intervals" (a Daniels term), and I add hills. Lots of hills.

Ken's first comment was "so I guess all heels need to go?"  Some how I just can't part with a lot of them. 

these are the culprit. 

Hope you can get your foot feeling better Erika!  

OH and I can't wait to get to my hill workouts!!!! If I can conquer these hills that my RP has us doing Boston hills won't be nothing lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

If I think I can do it I'll cover your entry fee++. (Don't tell DH he still doesn't understand that online friendships are not all that different than the face-to-face ones.)

Common theme around my house too.  I'll cover my own entry fee (I'm nobody's kept man) and we'll make it a family weekend with both families involved.  Takes the edge off the whole "online friend" thing.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Yowza Pam, those do look like torture devices!
                Yowza Pam, those do look like torture devices!

Disguised in a mega cute way lol.  If I wasn't lacking so many toenails (mainly both big toenails) I may have actually taken my shoes of at inlaws. That's what I get for running on my forefoot with heal NEVER touching the ground.

As far as online friendships and dh. I've been rather lucky with him. I've traveled to meet some and have had some travel to meet me as well and he's been very supportive about it.  He's even stayed at Amanda's house several times with me before a race Smile

Dave

She is totally cool with online male friends.  Rvelich and I have both stayed at each other's houses for races.

It's the female ones that draw a bit more ire 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

She is totally cool with online male friends.  Rvelich and I have both stayed at each other's houses for races.

It's the female ones that draw a bit more ire 

Well he did let me go run Trent's little race last November all by my lonesome. Hmmmmmmmmmm makes me wonder lol

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Online monkeys aren't in the same category....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

Lou,

Wow, only 25 weeks. Seems like longer when you count the months. I have the book, but it is at home, I'm not. I tried to use the 55 mpw plan three years ago, it was too much for me THEN, but I think it may be do able now. Some of it might depend on the winter we have, I remember a lot more longer long runs than Hals plan. Just will have to be prepared to back-off at times, like I have been doing. I'm so glad you did not suggest the 70mpw, 

Erika,

Okay I won't come near your toes with my graston knife. Smile  You got a second opinon right? Just hate for you to be struggling with this issue.

Pam,

I'm with Erika on picking your non running shoes carefully. I don't wear heels unless either someone really important is getting married or died. I even stopped wearing sandles because it was hard on my achilles.

Dave,

I'll make it up to you somehow then. DH and kids will be there so your DW should not worry. DH has even talked about running the half, but he won't. When I get up early to train he just gives me the you're crazy look. He is envious of all my running friends, the fun we have at races, but does want to put the work into running. Probably a good thing, don't know how two of us could run. I wish they would publish the course for Fargo. It'll be flat no matter what, but would like to know how crowded to expect it.

Bugs

Cashmason

Hello,

Thanks for thinking of me.

Ran 5 miles tonight.   Still run a little bit,  not nearly enough for marathon training though.

Need to run 3:35 for Boston.     McMillan says based on my last half and last 10k I  should be able to run 3:36:30.

Would miss BQ by 31 seconds  if the course is flat and weather is perfect.

Am teaching cycle at the gym 2 or 3 times a week now, and not finding the motivation to run more than 3 miles or so on the same days that I teach.

Not finding the motivation to run more than 10 on any day.

Did do a short  5 mile run with Sherie Ranier a couple weeks ago, if any of you remember her from the old Cool Running days.

Maybe I can find the motivation if I start coming back here again.

Cash

evanflein

Well I hope you do come back here more often! You really thinking of trying for Boston? That'd be cool! Hey, tell Sherie I said hi next time you see her.

Ran 5.1 miles today, a little better than last time although overall pace was slower. But I kept it slower going down the hill and didn't need so many or such long breaks on the way up the hill. So that's a good thing. Really still feeling a lack of fitness; it's amazing how much slips away in just a few weeks.

Cash - I have been wondering where you've been.  I wouldn't let the McMillan calculator dissuade you from going for it.

Erika - the fitness will come back sooner than you think.  You'll have kind of a breakthrough and then you'll forget all about the lost fitness.

My legs were still tired from Thursday's 5K, making for a tough 14.

14.3 miles, 2:02:43, 8:36/mi, AHR 148 (72% MHR)

5@9:09(135), 4@8:37(144), 5.27@8:04(162)

PDR doesn't have any issues with my virtual friends.  Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Weather is gorgeous here. Went out for easy run and sped up late, because it was so nice to feel warm and have pretty weather Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.