Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/18/10 (Read 241 times)

Cashmason

Had an Erika clone in my spin class tonight.    Tall slender blonde,  former show jumper, whose horse is too old to show now.

Now a runner,  with pain in her metatarsals,  so she came to cycle class for a low impact workout.

Turns out her stirrups put pressure directly on her metatarsals when she rides.

3 mile run right after class.

And yes we got some rain today.   Went to see Avatar 3D.  Came out to 4 inches of water  in the courtyard from the theater to the parking lot.   Shoes and socks and lower part of jeans soaked through to the skin within steps of leaving the movie.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Still dragging from speedwork yesterday; off to work, with run planned for midday.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hail to The Victors!

Also dragging here.  That 18 Sunday really knocked me down.  Supposed to be 12 easy today.  Not so sure about that right now. 

MTA:  Backed off, instead did 8.  With strides. What's wrong with me?  (For the record, the 8 was supposed to be tomorrow's workout).

I'm getting enough sleep, not tired at all from running.

Why do I hate this?

Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Ringmaster

Horrible run today. Totally unmotivated. Came home. Seriously considering staying off the roads for a whole week, just to snap myself out of it. Won't help the weight gain but man . . .

Sorry about your bad weather. We're finally in a stretch of really nice weather here . . . though still mid to high 70s by the mid afternoon. And yes, Bugs, always be safe. I run with a reflective vest someone just gave me now, but not much traffic on the roads I tread.

I can't imagine doing a 13-mile race on no running at all. Interesting to hear, for sure.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

evanflein

Bugs I hate running in snow. All these people who say "oh I love running in that crunchy fluffy snow!" Bah. I think they're big fat liars. Give me a cleanly plowed bike path or the cleared road! We have really dry fluffy blow away snow here, problem is it doesn't pack down well (unless driven over a LOT like on a dirt road). When it does pack it gets pretty slick (intersections, etc). Because it doesn't pack well, it falls apart and gives very poor footing/traction. So even just a few inches of new snow make for a difficult "slog" especially uphill. And the sides of the road where the cars blow the fine stuff can be awful, like running in cornstarch or sand. So, I run in the road, facing traffic so I always get a good advance notice of oncoming cars. Seems to work, most of the time.

Sounds like a lot of Team Blister is wrung out from long runs? Except for Lou. Well, and me. I wonder how Pam is doing? Vixi, maybe just a couple of easy days rather than not running at all?

Cash, that could be me! But I was never into the show jumping. I love to watch it, but I never had a horse that could do that. The stirrups shouldn't cause too much trouble because it's pressure, but not impact. But everyone is different, I guess. Hope she liked the class!

I'm going to RAL, but probably just 4 miles. Still easing back into things.

Hey everyone! Hope all is well!

Love looking at the marathon pics, keep em coming!

I only WISH I could run that long right now Jeremy!

Hope the rest is doing you well Lou!

LOVED the Avatar Movie!!!! Not sure I can watch "regular" movies now though lol

How's the foot feeling Bugs?? As for winter running I too run in the road when it's bad out. WE usually end up having lots of black ice so it's the "safer" option. 

Enjoy your RAL Erika (not sure what that means)

MTA: Glad you're having good weather Vix!! 

Running is going well for me. I think I've been pretty smart in getting back into things. I'm enjoying all the cross training I'm doing as well.  Got 5.5 miles in this morning and will be lifting tonight.

Frankie woke up at 5:30 and spent the 2 hours after that dry heaving off and on in the bathroom.  By 9 am he was out on the couch and ready to have breakfast. By 10 or so the color was back in his face and he was enjoying watching Bakugan. No fever or more vomiting. Called school nurse and got the ok to send him to school and by 11:05 he was at school. He wasn't too happy about it but when he came home his bounce was back. He told me he played football during recess and that he only had a tiny side stich (before I dropped him off he said that he wouldn't be playing outside at recess time). I made the right decision in sending him back. However if this happens again (happened 2 weeks ago today) I'm going to have to get him in the ped to figure out what is going on with him.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

I'm with Erika on the running on snow thing.  Our roads are clear and our paths are almost clear now.  The spots still covered in ice suck and we've got more snow coming this week.

I'm back in work hell.  Will be in DC a couple of times over the next couple of weeks though.  Hopefully I'll get a run in tomorrow.  I need it.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Pam, RAL = Run At Lunch. And I did... 4 miles on the treadmill at the gym while watching the news. Foot and ankle doing well. And yes, good call on sending him to school. Sometimes they just need a little time to work something thru.

Dave, hang in there. I hope you can get a run in, too. Or something. Best stress reliever around.

Kimmie

I agree... running- best stress reliever.

I was frustrated this morning with my youngest daughter- went for a run... fastest run in awhile for me... came back and I was much happier.  Smile

Cashmason

Yoga-torture class tonight. 

First time in a few years. 

Remembered why I dont like it.

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a nice run with a friend this morning.  First time I've run with someone in a long time - it was nice.

Question: my AHR for this 5 miler was 170, but we talked the whole time.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like some free flowing conversation, but I wasn't uncomfortable.  I never expected my AHR to be 80% of my max and me still feel good.  I wasn't really even breathing hard at the end.  What does that mean?  

(Yes, that's a general question, but humor me with some running wisdom...)

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Question: my AHR for this 5 miler was 170, but we talked the whole time.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like some free flowing conversation, but I wasn't uncomfortable.  I never expected my AHR to be 80% of my max and me still feel good.  I wasn't really even breathing hard at the end.  What does that mean?  

(Yes, that's a general question, but humor me with some running wisdom...)

Paul, no clear answer because it varies so much from individual to individual but here's some things to consider. 

-  Is is possible that your HR strap was loose and you were getting some false readings?  Press the HR pads to your chest with your hands and if the reading goes down quickly, you probably don't have good solid contact.  Wet the pads, tighten the strap and see if you don't get better readings.    

-  Do you know your measured max?  It should be close to the reading you get at the end of a hard 5K race plus a few beats.  That can vary significantly form individual to individual.  Lou's is higher than mine even though he's older.  Higher is not better or worse.  It is what it is. 

For me, 170 is not conversational.  It is race pace to where I'm struggling to maintain effort.  For you, it might be but that does sound awfully high so it might be worth checking again on if you're getting a solid reading.  If you see it run after run, it's a good indicator.

I use 70-80% as my range for easy runs (185 measured max - 55 resting) * .7 (or .8) + 55 resting.  Puts me with a 70% number of about 143.  80% number of 159.  Above that does feel like a more aggressive pace for me. 

Yours will vary based on your own measured max and resting pulse.  But 170 does sound high.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, Dave.  That's what I was thinking, too, that 170 seemed high.  I know the strap wasn't loose - I had tightened it before the run, so it was snug the whole time.

Highest I've ever seen was 212 at the end of a 5k last summer.  That, too, seems high and would put me around 140 or so to be in the 65-70% range.

MTA: If I use that formula with 212 as my max, I get 212 - 52 (resting) = 160 * .7 = 112 + 52 (resting) = 164.  That last number goes up to 180 if I use .8 in the formula.  Do I just have an abnormally high HR?  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

You very well could. I know I do. I can sing along to my iPod at 170-175 or so. No biggie. Note, I do not sing well, but I don't sing well at rest either. Running with someone when you usually run alone is a nice change. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it's nice once in awhile.